C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Side Pipe Heat Shields

Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Patriot Side Pipe Heat Shields

Anyone ever try to adapt the Patriot heat shields to fit over the Hooker pipes?

Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the Patriot shields since they are for 3 1/2" pipes and the Hooker tubes are 4" pipes.

Different clamps an maybe spread the shields to fit?

The cost difference is astronomical!

FWIW: I like the looks of Steelshields but I think the $400.00 price is more than a bit over the top....
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just purchased a set of sidepipe shields from cobrashields. They provide clamps for 3 1/2" or 4" sidepipes. They offer powder coat, chrome, or raw steel. I ordered the 4" raw steel covers and painted them to match the car. Cost was $170. Easy to install and they look good. Take a look at their website.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by KTKelly
Anyone ever try to adapt the Patriot heat shields to fit over the Hooker pipes?

Looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt the Patriot shields since they are for 3 1/2" pipes and the Hooker tubes are 4" pipes.

Different clamps an maybe spread the shields to fit?

The cost difference is astronomical!

FWIW: I like the looks of Steelshields but I think the $400.00 price is more than a bit over the top....
You get what you pay for...

Dean's shields are quality, and look great.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimT
They provide clamps for 3 1/2" or 4" side pipes. .
If that's the case, it would seem that the Cobra shields will fit either a 3 1/2" or 4" tube with no real issues, and that would indicate that the Patriot shields should as well.

Corey,

While I agree that the Dean's shields look good, when you are paying about as much for the shields as you are for the pair of tubes I consider the price as out of line.

Last edited by KTKelly; 06-15-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:51 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

KTKelly,
Very well stated!
JimT
Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

JimT,

I REALLY like the painted shields over chrome pipes on your car...

Are those the cobra versions?

In my case the headers are raw, and the tubes are chrome (typical with some pitting), so I thought I'd use some high heat paint on both the headers and tubes in black or red, then use the chrome Patriot 36" shields.

Sort of a reverse of how yours are....
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Thanks
My sidepipes are 4" polished stainless steel. I wanted a different look for my car had seen the cobra shields on cobras at car shows. As I mentioned, cobra shields offers the covers in raw, powder coated. and chrome. After looking at the $600 and above covers - almost as much as headers and sidepipes - I found these. Each coated/not-coated cover is a different price - raw being the cheapest. And, I get a lot of positive comments on the look. I believe the shields are all the same size, they fit both the 3 1/2 and 4" pipes, you just specify pipe size when ordering and the larger clamps are provided.
The painted covers break-up all the chrome look of the sidepipes.
They are also a breeze to install! Check them out. The website is www.cobrastuff.com.

Last edited by JimT; 06-16-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by KTKelly
Corey,

While I agree that the Dean's shields look good, when you are paying about as much for the shields as you are for the pair of tubes I consider the price as out of line.
Oh I agree they are not cheap.

I guess over the years I've tried to cut corners and spend less only to get an inferior product and to send it back to buy the more expensive one.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Cobra heat shields and sprial tube baffles. The ony way to go. Awsome looks and an awsome sound. What more could you want !!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
Cobra heat shields and sprial tube baffles. The ony way to go. Awsome looks and an awsome sound. What more could you want !!!!
The Cobra shields made in Stainless, that's what!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
The Cobra shields made in Stainless, that's what!

I have Cobra shields in Chrome. Best looking shields made. I never liked the look of those Steel Shields. They don't hug the pipes like Cobra.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 AM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Clubby99
I have Cobra shields in Chrome. Best looking shields made. I never liked the look of those Steel Shields. They don't hug the pipes like Cobra.
I agree, I think the Cobra shields look the best, but I just wish they made them in Stainless to match Stainless pipes. IMHO I just think it looks a little funny to have chrome shields over Stainless pipes.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Oh I agree they are not cheap.

I guess over the years I've tried to cut corners and spend less only to get an inferior product and to send it back to buy the more expensive one.
Hi Cory, I think you remember when I had made my first set of Steel Shields and had the cheese grader shields on my side pipes and after 6 months the chrome started to peel. That is when I made my first set of stainless steel heat shields and after posting pictures everyone on this forum wanted a set. Well I could not sell them in the land of litigation so I paid dearly to get them licences with GM. Now on every set I sell a big chunk goes to pay to them to use there copyrighted names.

I still try to make a high quality product that will last. BTW, To date the first set I made back in 2004 are still looking good after all this time.

The cheese grader shields are good as they do keep you from getting a bad burn on your legs. If money is a problem and quality is not important the cheese grader shields are the way to go.

Also be reminded that if forum members order by calling the US office thay can arrange free shipping in the lower 48.

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
I agree, I think the Cobra shields look the best, but I just wish they made them in Stainless to match Stainless pipes. IMHO I just think it looks a little funny to have chrome shields over Stainless pipes.

Cobra in stainless would be best. Cobras look good. They have that C2 old-school look.

The Cobra owner has excellent customer service. One of my shields had a slight imperfection. I sent him an e-mail, he said sorry, and express mailed a replacement in two days. I kind of wonder about other vendors who feel the need to make unsubstantiated attacks on competition and buyers who choose other products. It is not the money. I just don't think steel shields look as good. Cobra shields are well made with high quality. Chromed inside and out. Not likely to rust any sooner than bumpers or any other chrome parts.

The best part of steel shields is that they are made out of stainless. But not a fan of the look. Anyone who looks at my car knows it is a Corvette. They don't need to read it (in C5 style letters) off my shields.

Last edited by Clubby99; 06-18-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 AM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
I could not sell them in the land of litigation so I paid dearly to get them licenses with GM. Now on every set I sell a big chunk goes to pay to them to use there copyrighted names.
And that explains why the shields that make no named reference are the same cost as those that do make a named reference?

The cheese grader shields are good as they do keep you from getting a bad burn on your legs. If money is a problem and quality is not important the cheese grader shields are the way to go.
Disparaging remarks about the competition wouldn't win you my business.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

KTKelly,
Well said again!
JimT
Old 06-19-2011, 05:53 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Since Bangkok Dean's Steel Shields are very high quality, but some people prefer the look for the Cobra Shields, why doesn't he just expand his product lineup and offer a cheese grader style heatshield in Stainless as well? That would seem to solve the problem for everyone IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Patriot Side Pipe Heat Shields

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Patriot Side Pipe Heat Shields