C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing Mantic Clutches - Read Inside For Info

Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing Mantic Clutches - Read Inside For Info

Clutches... The age old LSx question. I want a clutch that will drive like stock, hold ridiculous power, & be consistent! For years, we have been tangled with the search for the perfect clutches. We have sacrificed drivability for the ability to hold more power. We've dealt with on/off switch style clutches to be consistent at the drag strip, but, makes you wish you owned an automatic when you get stuck in traffic.

Well folks, Mantic Clutches knew these issues too, and as a leader in the OE market for 30+ years & a stronghold in the performance market (Especially in Australia/NZ) they have developed a great series of LSx specific clutches.

Mantic offers a few different clutch kits for our LSx vehicles! First lets take a look at the ER2.

------------------------------------------------------

Mantic ER2 Groove Design Single Disc Clutch Kit

Cover Assemblies with the ER2 Groove Design feature have a unique groove pattern CNC machined on the friction face of the Pressure Plate. The groove has been specifically designed to increase the Mean Effective Radius of the pressure plate and assist in heat removal. The increase in the Mean Effective Radius of the Cover Assembly gives an increase in Torque Capacity by up to 8%. Mean Effective Radius is directly proportional to Torque capacity.

By adding the groove to the Pressure Plate, the inside radius of the friction face has effectively been increased. The first 5/16 inches of the pressure plate has all but been removed and added to this, there is progressively less material removed as the radius increases. The net effect of this is to move the effective inside radius further out. When comparing the Mean Effective Radius (Rm) of the ER2 version to the non ER2 version you can see the ER2 version is further out. This increases the Torque Capacity of the clutch. Torque Capacity is directly related to Rm.

Mantic 9000 Series Twin Disc Clutch Kit
Mantic 9000 series clutches are twin disc, 9” (225mm) diameter modular clutches that are designed for high performance cars or track use.

Mantic 9000 series are low MOI (Moment of Inertia) twin disc clutches that offer a level of performance not only superior to a single disc unit, but also allow you to select options that best suit you.All 9000 SERIES are made with premium quality materials designed to perform and last the distance.

The key to the 9000 SERIES is the street drivability of the Sprung Street Cerametallic discs. These suit high performance engines and enthusiastic driving styles, while allowing excellent drivability when needed. Low pedal effort is another bonus from the 9000 SERIES.

We have been working with Mantic now for a while, R&D'ing their clutches in all sorts of applications before we brought these clutches direct to you guys! We have tested in the following applications:

- Mantic Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit: 2009 Z06 RHS 427ci YSi 1080+rhwp, 2004 GTO Magnacharger 600+rwhp, 2007 Z06 402ci Novi 2200 850+rwhp

- Mantic ER2 Single Disc Clutch Kit: ECS Shawn's personal 2005 GTO Magnacharged Heads/Cam 590+rwtq/hp, 2001 Z06 Heads/Cam 490rwhp, 2000 Z06 Cam/FAST 440rwhp

So now you have heard all the specifications, know that it will hold the power consistently & across the board in numerous high HP applications, but at this point you're assuming the thing is an on/off switch that will kill your leg in traffic! NOPE! The 9000 Twin & ER2 clutches feel like factory LS7 clutch kits. A little increased pedal pressure over a LS1/2/6 factory clutch. The drivability is great, very driver friendly.

So... Have we accomplished our three goals for the best clutch for your LSx vehicle? Let's review:

- Drives Like Stock? YES

- Holds Ridiculous Power? YES

- Consistent? YES.

Let's talk some pricing here. This is full introductory pricing, we have these clutches in stock & ready to ship!

Mantic Twin 9000 Series Street Clutch Kit - Includes Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Discs, Floater Plates, Hardware & Steel Slave Cylinder (For use in C5/4th Gen FBody Applications, C6/LS3 Camaro Will Reuse Factory Slave Cylinder): $1895.00

Mantic ER2 Series Single Clutch Kit - Includes Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Hardware: $995.00

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email, PM or call us.

609 752 0321.

Thanks!

Last edited by Matt @ ECS; 09-27-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

While I'll support RPS all the way... Mantic has pretty cool cases for their clutches.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
While I'll support RPS all the way... Mantic has pretty cool cases for their clutches.
Well.. I dont think I would buy any performance part for the packaging, but yes they do come in a pretty cool case.

Simply put guys, it's my job to drive Corvettes all day, I have driven and raced probably every single clutch available for LS engines, and these clutches trump all in my personal opinion.
Not because we sell them, we can promote/sell any clutch manufacturer we please, but because these clutches are the best engineered clutches I have ever seen for our applications, with the best pedal feel I have ever felt period!

Most clutches out there now are OEM pressure plates with a changed disc that's painted a vibrant color to make you think your getting a performance part. They are often not even dowl pinned, and usually balanced on a tire type of balancer! On top of that, they are just drilled threw the pressure plate for the balancing. The Mantic clutches are a true performance product, each one is dyno tested on a clutch specific dyno to ensure each clutch is up to spec! Each component is individually balanced on an actual clutch balancer, so you wont see things like marker lines where the assembly has to meet to keep it balanced.

The disengagement is fantastic, the pedal feels just like stock, yet it can hold crazy power. We have used the twins in 1000RWHP applications now, and you would seriously think the car had a stock clutch in it. There's no chatter, and the twins have wafer type springs between the plates to keep them from rattling at idle, they really are like an OEM high HP clutch.

Drag racers can get the slip necessary for a great 60' without the drive train damaging "on/off switch" type of engagement that comes with many high HP clutches. Street guys, it's like stock, what else can I say?

Road racers, the high RPM disengagement is awesome! Some clutches out there offer great off the line response, but the high RPM disengagement lacks. Gear changes will grind or be tougher a bit because the discs are slights rubbing each other which causes unnecessary wear to the trans, or at least slower shifts. None of that with these clutches.

Guys that know me here have heard me say many times (sorry for being so blunt, but it's seriously what I always say) "all clutches suck, pick which one sucks less for your application". These are the first clutches that I have been repeatedly overwhelmingly happy with all around.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Big$$$$

Yesterday, 02:15 PM #4
ipuig
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09
Garage is empty, add now

My Corvette Photos

Yet another "flavor of the week clutch", wonderful.

Yesterday, 03:15 PM #5
z06 vett
CF Senior Member

Garage is empty, add now

My Corvette Photos

Big $$
I have been in the clutch replacement mode for three years .I used the stock clutch with my original set up, Vera ram,slp loudmouth ,predator tune.this broke the right side output shaft with 29k miles on car(Gm offered to pay but only with factory part).I next installed a custom Kevlar,33 lb. steel flywheel /single disk puck/3800 double strapped pressure plate rated @ 750 tq( felt great lite pedal but,..With seven lbs.of boost from a twin turbo kit~ 550whp and a popped # 7 piston at 6000 miles it was on the rivets.I sent it back so the engineer could have real world feed back and fix it(this was a prototype for 26 spline on a 10 spline kit made for big blocks).All they seemed interested in was a billing?
Next ,,,was a Mcloed Rxt , top capacity set up with aluminum flywheel.All new forged motor with dte brace,aluminum cuppler,gm slave and remote bleeder to go with both hardened shafts.I drove it on a trailer and shipped it out of state to a tunner to do a Maf/ 2bar sd tune w/ progresive meth.
Twenty three hard pulls and 600 easy miles home , some more tweaks and now 16lbs. Boost- 335/30/18 toyos and Wow!!!
But just till top off third and forth?
Added a tick performance master. Master did the job and the now clutch slips like crazy.
Mcloed say's, just like the last one, send it back!!!just $400.00(plus shipping)
I am tired of paying all this money to do R&D for clutch companies.
Yes it chatters a little and rattles at idle but we have to give up something to hold the power,No???
Send me one(free) I'll put it in and we will see???
Call it a beta test you supply the hardware and i'll supply the c5 z06 twin turbo.IT did 640 \708 tq @13#'s boost,
I have already paid for the labor to put it in and will have my water brake chassis dyno up by the time i am ready for it.I have hp tuners unlimited version to max this tune out and will give test cell type (Test Cell Service, LLC working with us)feed back back to you and here on the forum.
It seems like once a guy pulls the trigger with one of these high dollar clutch systems we are stuck ?i spent 750.00 for the first and over a grand for the second.Another 1500.00 plus for the other upgrades.
.This seems to be were the guy trying to stay with a manual car are having the most trouble with clutches. The remedy seems to be an automatic conversion.
I like my stick cars and like to keep it that way as long as my 50 year old knee can hold out.I have a Ram HD in my 94 LT car and it hurts just a bit if i get in heavy traffic.As for the vett i don"t seem to drive it much.Too busy trying to get the set up right.The car has 36k miles and way to much in it to quite now.!!!
Wish Tilton had made a mater clutch slave kit when the c5 came out!!!
Sad thing is i am not alone,
mike foote
Mobile Al.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Total weight of the twin disc assembly is 39lbs for those wondering, I will weigh the single and post as soon as I get a chance.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

My question is... RPS triple or Mantic twin ?

Im at 700rwhp, but plan to upgrade next year. Will still be < 900rwhp though.

which is better for < 900 rwhp, and will last... my RPS twin carbon didnt last very long with 700rwhp.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

LOL tpereira we were just talking about you last night... I can't reveal everything we said though

I'm shooting you a PM on this.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
tpereira
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt @ ECS
LOL tpereira we were just talking about you last night... I can't reveal everything we said though

I'm shooting you a PM on this.

Thanks
Got ur PM... I'll try giving you guys a call tomorrow...
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Is you guys still feel the same way about these clutches at the end of the year I'll be getting in line for one
Old 06-11-2011, 08:52 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Is you guys still feel the same way about these clutches at the end of the year I'll be getting in line for one

Thats exactly why we have been using them for a while now before posting, but good or bad, we will keep you guys informed.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:34 PM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Default me too

i hate to have to dole out for another wad of cash in a hope and a prayer,
i will keep my boost down to 10 lbs. and see if i can't make this one hold out.Then i'll have another piece of **** set up taking up space because i would feel guilty selling it ,like the last one i still have!

This is the trouble with doing all the R&D for free.These companies that sell this stuff use my dime to develop a product with no recourse for the buyer.
If this one holds up for 10 or so high power ls1 type set ups i will buy it.
I do not mean Dyno pulls or QUATER MILE RUNS.I mean guy's like myself that drive the car like it was built for.Yes every day thrashing's.May be 10-20k miles or so.As it seems none of these companies have a tech center with test cells to prove out the product before they release it.i did work in automotive r&d for a few years myself and worked in such a tech center.

This last one aparently is my fault ?.
They say i did not break it in for 500 miles before tuning it on the dyno?
It was a fresh motor and trailered 600 miles for tuning.I do not think it would have been good to run it so far out for so long?.The shop said the McLeod is full of it and a dyno won't do this kind of damage.
Go figure , no one wants to take responsibility for anything. We just have to keep writing checks for incompetence.Sorry for pissing on the party but this forum is all i have to get good info from and i have not been participating in the process enough.I have nothing to sell here so as a buyer of what is sold, i need to give feedback where i can. This just happens to be a sore spot for me.
thanks for letting me have a say,
mike

Last edited by z06 vett; 06-11-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: not done on iphone
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by z06 vett
i hate to have to dole out for another wad of cash in a hope and a prayer,
i will keep my boost down to 10 lbs. and see if i can't make this one hold out.Then i'll have another piece of **** set up taking up space because i would feel guilty selling it ,like the last one i still have!

This is the trouble with doing all the R&D for free.These companies that sell this stuff use my dime to develop a product with no recourse for the buyer.
If this one holds up for 10 or so high power ls1 type set ups i will buy it.
I do not mean Dyno pulls or QUATER MILE RUNS.I mean guy's like myself that drive the car like it was built for.Yes every day thrashing's.May be 10-20k miles or so.As it seems none of these companies have a tech center with test cells to prove out the product before they release it.i did work in automotive r&d for a few years myself and worked in such a tech center.

This last one aparently is my fault ?.
They say i did not break it in for 500 miles before tuning it on the dyno?
It was a fresh motor and trailered 600 miles for tuning.I do not think it would have been good to run it so far out for so long?.The shop said the McLeod is full of it and a dyno won't do this kind of damage.
Go figure , no one wants to take responsibility for anything. We just have to keep writing checks for incompetence.Sorry for pissing on the party but this forum is all i have to get good info from and i have not been participating in the process enough.I have nothing to sell here so as a buyer of what is sold, i need to give feedback where i can. This just happens to be a sore spot for me.
thanks for letting me have a say,
mike

Thats why we did our own R&D for the last year before posting these for sale Mike. Sorry you have had issue's with other clutches purchased elsewhere, we have too.
The problem with DIY clutch installs is that there is a strong chance that the "incompetency" is on your end, and there is no way of knowing as the manufacturer.

If that happened with a Mantic, they would take it back and place it on their clutch dyno and prove the results either way, so the outcome is 100% known with a print out.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Default Sounds like you get it

If indeed you have sorted this problem more of us can keep the manual trans.Like I said I drive my car like I stole it.With just the heat issues alone I have done lots of mods.The ppk style kit makes lots of power but requires all kinds of upgrades to put it to the ground.My partner is a PE and has been drag racing sense the early seventies.We built the motor in is garage. The clutch was set up to The specs told me by the engineer at Mcloed .DIY is the only option in these parts as there are no speed shops close by.
Speed south and thunder racing are the closest.we are buying equipment now to open up a shop now.Not enough business here to warrant bank money .Mobile has more do it yourselfers in one area than you can imagine .Chris Johnson of Sct started here.He has a shop in luicde miss. But only seems to do fords.
I will follow this thread for six months and if it proves itself I will not onley put it in my car i will promote it with you.
I really beleave the turbo charged cars will double or triple in popularity in a very short time.Even a few of the NOS guy's are comming around.
This means a clutch company that can hold up to the torque will make some coin.
If you could put me in touch with a shop local that installs your line that would be great.
Thanks for speaking frankly.

Mike

Last edited by z06 vett; 06-15-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Just restocked.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

So if you have 500rwhp, what clutch do you need?

Also, I am curios on what do you do with 700+ RWHP? I can't drive 500 let alone 700! But then again, I just an old battery salesman not race car driver!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
0Matt @ ECS
Former Vendor

With 500rwhp to the tires you can use either clutch. The single would work fine for your goals to be honest. The single clutch feels very much like the LS7 as far as pedal feel. The twin is a bit lighter pedal.

In stock ready to ship.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
sumit88
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good read, I'm glad Matt just talked me into this. Can't wait to pick up the car on Friday

Get notified of new replies

To Introducing Mantic Clutches - Read Inside For Info

Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by sumit88
Good read, I'm glad Matt just talked me into this. Can't wait to pick up the car on Friday

Clutch feels great, and the car made nice power! Seeya Friday.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM
DOUG @ ECS

Originally Posted by sumit88

So how do you like it?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Robo_70
2nd Gear

Default Mantic Feedback

anyone with feedback on the Mantic Twin plate clutch yet? how many miles so far etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introducing Mantic Clutches - Read Inside For Info