C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk about BOV's....Tial Q/50 and Big Red???

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Lets talk about BOV's....Tial Q/50 and Big Red???

I have a Novi and it is really quiet. I would like a louder BOV, but I don't know to much about them, so if you guys could give me some knowledge on them , that would be great! I want a loud one that sounds like a 747 taking off, what is the best one to go with, I know the Big Reds are over $400 and Tials are $250ish. what would be a good BOV for my setup, 10lbs now but 14ish next year when I do the bottom end. Also is the bov going to add performance, or is it just to have a better sound? Thanks in advance for your input?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
avenger88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude im in the same boat. have a big red on my z now and had a tial 50 on my trans am. could have sworn the tial was much louder but could have just been the placement. Just got a ysi set up going back and fourth which 1 to put on. Also as far i know bov's dont add performance, except if you have a cheap 1 thats leaking off boost which would make you lose power
Old 05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Big Red is almost double the cost, so if there is not a performance gain, why would someone pay that amount of $$$. Also Doug at ECS stated I would be fine with a Tial 50 and a 10lb spring witch he said is obnoxiously loud, I wish I could hear what that sounds like. How do you pick a spring, does it go with what boost your at?

I'm trying to find a used one, but that seems hard to find as people hold on to these like RPM transmissions. I looked for a month to find a used level 5 or 6 and no bites so I bought a new one. As soon as I got the trans, 2 were for sale on the forum. The same thing is probably going to happen with this BOV. What springs are most of you running at 10lbs, and how loud is it?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by avenger88
dude im in the same boat. have a big red on my z now and had a tial 50 on my trans am. could have sworn the tial was much louder but could have just been the placement. Just got a ysi set up going back and fourth which 1 to put on. Also as far i know bov's dont add performance, except if you have a cheap 1 thats leaking off boost which would make you lose power
Does it matter where the bov is placed?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 AM
avenger88
Burning Brakes

i think it does. on my ta i was running a t trim with a tial 50, the bov was mounted on the top passenger side and it sounded loud as $hit. in my vette the big red is mounted low in the center by the oil pan kinda. seems not as loud, could also just be that my exhaust is so loud dont hear it. both cars are at around 11 lbs boost also. guna stick with my procharger valve on the ysi, hopefully at 17lbs. it screams . .btw was talking to mike at ecs today he says hands down big red is the loudest
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 AM
avenger88
Burning Brakes

& big reds expensive cause people use that in highhhh hp and boost applications. suppossed to hold a huge amount
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Go with Turbosmart! I have seen many Tial's have issues. Also call both of there customer service numbers if Tial happens to pick up consider yourself lucky. Turbosmart has some great people working there and back up there product 100%

If you want loud I have a HKS one from subie I am dumping
Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Go with Turbosmart! I have seen many Tial's have issues. Also call both of there customer service numbers if Tial happens to pick up consider yourself lucky. Turbosmart has some great people working there and back up there product 100%

If you want loud I have a HKS one from subie I am dumping
I may be interested if it fits my application, please PM me your contact info!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:16 AM
MyEBc5Z
Racer

Bro I have a tial 50mm and it's loud as ****! I'm not too far away let me know next time you're in Chicago I'll let you hear it
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 AM
MyEBc5Z
Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJMMh...el_video_title
Old 05-24-2011, 07:44 AM
JLayer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blitz,

I just replaced the bosch bov that comes with the Novi kits with a tial 50 over the weekend. I originally had the tial located in the top charge pipe righ in front of the MAF. It was messing with the tune so we put the bosch back in the stock position.

I relocated the tial down to where the 2 45* rubber elbows meet after the IC. I removed the air pump so it fit perfectly in there. From my understanding its better to have the bov immediately after the IC for it to work effectively. Could be wrong but that's what I have read.

I also read that the tial needs to have the 3 psi spring in it so I bought one off of ebay to replace the spring that was already in it.

I went and drove the car for a little while this weekend after I swapped out the springs and let me tell you that it's continiously loud. What I mean by that is that it's releasing air at all times when just cruising then closes up when a little throttle is applied. I imagine it's doing this b/c of the 3 lb sping that's in it. I can see that it may get a little annoying after a while though. I guess it depends on what spring you want to use.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

The noise level of the Tial is completely spring pressure related. You can have a Tial that is hard to hear at all, or obnoxiously loud.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLayer
Blitz,

I just replaced the bosch bov that comes with the Novi kits with a tial 50 over the weekend. I originally had the tial located in the top charge pipe righ in front of the MAF. It was messing with the tune so we put the bosch back in the stock position.

I relocated the tial down to where the 2 45* rubber elbows meet after the IC. I removed the air pump so it fit perfectly in there. From my understanding its better to have the bov immediately after the IC for it to work effectively. Could be wrong but that's what I have read.

I also read that the tial needs to have the 3 psi spring in it so I bought one off of ebay to replace the spring that was already in it.

I went and drove the car for a little while this weekend after I swapped out the springs and let me tell you that it's continiously loud. What I mean by that is that it's releasing air at all times when just cruising then closes up when a little throttle is applied. I imagine it's doing this b/c of the 3 lb sping that's in it. I can see that it may get a little annoying after a while though. I guess it depends on what spring you want to use.
We are 160 miles away, we should meet in the middle sometime, as I would like to hear a 3lb spring, Doug (ECS) said 3 was loud and 10lb spring is crazy, I was thinking about a 5 or 7lbs. Also you bought yours new, where from and how much $$$,? Did you have to have that flange welded?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:11 AM
JLayer
Racer

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
We are 160 miles away, we should meet in the middle sometime, as I would like to hear a 3lb spring, Doug (ECS) said 3 was loud and 10lb spring is crazy, I was thinking about a 5 or 7lbs. Also you bought yours new, where from and how much $$$,? Did you have to have that flange welded?

I'll be up in Indy this Friday back at Norris to see if the spring swap helped out my problem. Come by and check it out for yourself.

I actually bought the Tial used from a member on here. I think I paid around $200 shipped for it.

I'd say start monitoring this board and ls1tech 4 sale sections. There was actually a lot of bovs for sale about 3 months ago.

What I ended up doing was buying a 3"x6" aluminum pipe from A&A. Took that and the flange to a local machine shop and had it welded. Cost about $75 total for the parts and welding.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

I am going to by a 3x6 pipe so when I do buy a new BOV, I can take the flange and pipe and get it welded up. Then I can just swap the BOV's with no down time on the car, Do you like the 3lb spring? I forgot that you will hear it all the time cruising, maybe I will have to re-think about a 5 or 7lb spring. I would like to come and see and hear your car, but Norris is 160 miles for me and I have to work nights this weekend.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
JLayer
Racer

the 3 lb spring is loud for sure. Like I said, it maybe awesome for a bit but could get real annoying fast. I don't seem to mind it though. Ask me that question about a month later. I may have a different opinion. lol
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MyEBc5Z
Bro I have a tial 50mm and it's loud as ****! I'm not too far away let me know next time you're in Chicago I'll let you hear it
Car sounds NICE! What pound spring is that? And yes I'm 30min from Chicago, we will have to hook up for lunch and that little race!

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk about BOV's....Tial Q/50 and Big Red???

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

TurboX's RFL

RFL = Real F'n Loud
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5kid
TurboX's RFL

RFL = Real F'n Loud
Hey Kid, what bov do you have, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Tial Q or 50 with a 5lb spring!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
95redz
Pro

I run the Vortech Mondo. Its like the enclosed race from Procharger.

Here is a vid.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=SAM_0839.mp4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets talk about BOV's....Tial Q/50 and Big Red???