C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hushmat, dynamat, jute, original underlayment, and other sound and heat barriers

Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 PM
usmarinejohn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hushmat, dynamat, jute, original underlayment, and other sound and heat barriers

I am trying to achieve a good reduction in noise and heat on my 1980 corvette before I put the new carpet in. I need help with a few things though.

Jute- supposedly the new carpet will come with this. What is the jute?

Original underlayment- should I replace the original underlayment (new from ecklers or zip of course)?

Hushmat or dynamat- should I buy either of these? They get great reviews.

There are numerous other spray in and self stick heat and sound barriers for cars. Some of which look like they might be too thick for the corvette carpet if I pair two together. And what do I do about the wheel wells? The original underlayment is different on the wheel wells. Is there a reason for that?

And lastly, what prep work do I need to do? Do I have to use ammonia to clean the car before I install anything? Should I primer or paint it?

Thanks in advance everybody!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Tod M Elliott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usmarinejohn
I am trying to achieve a good reduction in noise and heat on my 1980 corvette before I put the new carpet in. I need help with a few things though.

Jute- supposedly the new carpet will come with this. What is the jute?

Original underlayment- should I replace the original underlayment (new from ecklers or zip of course)?

Hushmat or dynamat- should I buy either of these? They get great reviews.

There are numerous other spray in and self stick heat and sound barriers for cars. Some of which look like they might be too thick for the corvette carpet if I pair two together. And what do I do about the wheel wells? The original underlayment is different on the wheel wells. Is there a reason for that?

And lastly, what prep work do I need to do? Do I have to use ammonia to clean the car before I install anything? Should I primer or paint it?

Thanks in advance everybody!
John, I recently used Hushmat on a 1951 ****** pickup I'm building, awesome product, applied easily directly to a clean painted floorboard, firewall and the bottom side of the cowling area. Worked great for sound deadening and heat reduction and is thinner than the insulation kit I purchased from Ecklers, if I were to do it again I would use the Hushmat product.

Last edited by Tod M Elliott; 04-21-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: .
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought EZ Cool from this place. $40 delivered for a 4' x 10' sheet.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

its not cheap but it does the job .
Old 04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I recently used fatmat on a project, product is the same and pricing is better...fatmat.com

Do as far up the firewall as possible and line the doors as well.

Rob
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
I used this same product. My main goal was heat reduction though and I am very pleased with the results and the price. It is basically bubble wrap between two layers of foil. I can not speak for any sound reduction though.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
usmarinejohn
Intermediate

I've been looking at fatmat too, thanks! It's good to see everyone using those products, those were the ones with the best reviews. A few more weeks and I'll be ready to put it in. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed all the old glue and crud with lacquer thinner plus major labor then repainted the bare fiberlass. Then Fat Mat. Then Reflextix. Be careful. Next time I would skip the Reflextrix. Too thick. Maybe just on the bottom surface but not the sides. I had to rip some of it out to get the carpet, center console, etc to fit right. I think many of the fitment problems with interiors are caused by these excessive underlayments. If the fit of one part if off, the rest will not fit properly.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:31 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

I bought RAAMat for my Trans Am and will be buying the same for the Corvette, its rated very high. Google RAAMaudio and email the owner, he is very helpful. After talking to him he sold me less stuff than I originally intended on buying and saved me a bunch of money
Old 04-22-2011, 04:23 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No need for heat insulation in the storage compartment...but a good place for sound deadening--especially over the wheelwells. Also, the sound deadening products will delay the heat, but not prevent it from getting into the passenger compartment. Jute is loosely packed fibers (which are decent insulators) with lots of air pockets; this is how they insulate and mute high frequencies. But jute packs down with use/moisture/age and becomes marginally effective. In the passenger compartment it is especially necessary to have good heat insulation covering the floor pans, the firewall (as high as you can go) and the entire tranny tunnel surface. The inexpensive insulation...like Reflectix...is very effective, but some believe it is not durable enough for long-term success. I've had it in my car for 5 years and it still does a good job. And, since I don't care about listening to the entire score of Bolero--expecting to hear great clarity in every note--I could care less about sound deadening in the passenger area.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
Was that enough to do the whole interior?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
BTGRN75
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
Was that enough to do the whole interior?
I used this stuff. Should be enough if you don't do the doors with it. I used it on my doors before I put on new door panels . They don't fit tight to the edges cause it's probably a little too thick. Also needs lots of glue in (bend places. Buy a quart of contact cement and brush on. Probably would use way too many cans of spray.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 PM
ipmtim
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

BTGRN75,
You just answered my question. : I was thinking about using spray cans.
I'm putting a precut kit from one of the forum vendors in my '06Z and I want to use extra insulation over the tunnel and wheel wells,
and I didn't want to spend a fortune on the Dynamat type stuff.
I ordered the EZ Cool earlier today and was notified it alaready shipped, love the no bs transacton.

rcread, thanks for the link.
Tim
Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I used Dynamat for the sound deadening and then Dynaliner and some foil backed insulation for extra heat barrier around the tunnel. My carpet did not have the jute backing.

Hushmat and Dynamat are for sound not a heat barrier. I do not have pictures with the dynaliner heat barrier that I put on top of the dynamat.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRace10

Hushmat and Dynamat are for sound not a heat barrier. I do not have pictures with the dynaliner heat barrier that I put on top of the dynamat.
With all due respect, I found that the Hushmat product has dramatically reduced the heat in my cabin. The car is a real joy now on hot days.

Before installation, I suffered the same basic problem of uncontrolled heat passing through the firewall, making warm days especially uncomfortable when sitting or crawling along in traffic.

It may be one of the more expensive solutions but for me, it is worth every nickel on a hot day.

Plus, it is very easy to work with: peels and sticks to any surface. It is fairly thin and did not interfere anywhere. If you want to cut to fit, I used a cheap pair of shop scissors I bought at harbor freight and was super simple.

Their website states that the product provides thermal protection and I can only speak to my results.

http://www.hushmat.com/Home_Page.php

I covered the entire firewall and also enjoy the benefits of sound control.

All I know is that it works great in my application. Again, it's not cheap stuff but it has delivered everything the manufacturer said it would.

Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM
BTGRN75
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ipmtim
BTGRN75,
You just answered my question. : I was thinking about using spray cans.
I'm putting a precut kit from one of the forum vendors in my '06Z and I want to use extra insulation over the tunnel and wheel wells,
and I didn't want to spend a fortune on the Dynamat type stuff.
I ordered the EZ Cool earlier today and was notified it alaready shipped, love the no bs transacton.

rcread, thanks for the link.
Tim
And, when I say it would do the whole car-- I mean original factory areas. Not the firewall, compartment areas, doors, etc.

I still get a lot of heat through the firewall and trans. tunnel

Get notified of new replies

To Hushmat, dynamat, jute, original underlayment, and other sound and heat barriers

Old 05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

So, what's the consensus about using, say Dynamat/Hushmat, to REPLACE the expensive firewall insulation on a 73 ????
Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I used a product called Be Cool thermal insulation purchased through my local NAPA store.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i used extreme dynomat... car is nice and cool... i put 2 layers on the firewall also

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hushmat, dynamat, jute, original underlayment, and other sound and heat barriers