C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

OBX Headers yes or no....

Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX Headers yes or no....

So i meet up with a bunch of local vette guys this weekend and pretty much for the most part they all said to get headers, 160ts, and tune... and most told me that the obx headers are really nice for the money and are just as good quality as most other headers on the market....
so what do you think... also i started to do some google searches and seen that 1 member said he had to use a pipe bender to make them fit his 2009 and i was wandering if this is still an issue or have they fixed this now...

also does anyone have any sound clips of it with stock axle back exhaust... i was told that the axle back are not worth swapping on the 2008+ cars....

i am new to the vette world so i am asking for more advice to make sure i am not digging down a hole.. i shouldnt be..
Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I had them on my C5. No issues and I saved a bunch. I vote yes.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Beginning with the 2009, the geometry where the mid-pipe connects to the over-the-axle pipe was changed. A mid-pipe for a 2008 LS3 won't work with a 2009 and vice-versa. The OBX headers I see on the big auction site all say 2005-2008 or 2005-2009 fit. The 2005-2009 fit is b.s because of the geometry change but a muffler shop can remedy this if you buy a set of headers w/mid-pipe built for a 2008.

It's a personal choice but I don't want Chinese headers on my 2009 Corvette...probably more about buying American than value for the $$$ spent.

I checked the VIN you previously posted...the car didn't come with the Dual Mode (NPP option) exhaust right? The Dual Mode exhaust gives you the best of both worlds...quiet when you want it and healthy when you want. The factory quiet mufflers just don't seem right for a performance based car IMHO. Most aftermarket mufflers won't buy you much horsepower.

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 05-16-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by storxusmc
So i meet up with a bunch of local vette guys this weekend and pretty much for the most part they all said to get headers, 160ts, and tune...
Good advice.

and most told me that the obx headers are really nice for the money
That may be somewhat true.

and are just as good quality as most other headers on the market....
That part is pretty much not true.

also i started to do some google searches and seen that 1 member said he had to use a pipe bender to make them fit his 2009 and i was wandering if this is still an issue or have they fixed this now...
In some cases it may still be an issue, in other cases it may not. Quality control/uniformity among the more 'value priced' Chinese manufactured headers is almost never as good as the more popular 'name brands' (Kooks, ARH, LG etc.), though a few have reported some minor fitment/clearance issues with those as well (quite rare though).

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
It's a personal choice but I don't want Chinese headers on my 2009Corvette...probably more about buying American than value for the $$$ spent.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM
getburnt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had these on my 2007 c6, fit nice no problems. I then bought a z06 and went with the obx for the ls7. They shipped in 2.5" for the regular c6, I contacted obx by email and had no response for a month! Finally they emailed back and said that I could send them back for a refund (that would be with me paying shipping from va to ca!) So its a 50/50 shot. The quality however will not be what you would get from the american made systems offered. I also had an issue with the way the second o2 sensors were positioned, they hit the tunnel plate and caused the car to pull timing when I had it dyno tuned. I will not be buying from them again and no longer mind paying for premium headers and customer service!
The following users liked this post:
bowtiefresh (03-28-2020)
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to get them and thank god I went with LG Super Pros (big thanks to Anthony at LG.) Much better quality and much better customer service if you need it (and I did.) If you can afford a Corvette you can afford the Corvette tax. The Corvette demographic is about the cheapest collective group I have ever seen. Get what you want but the saying you get what you pay for is most always true.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 05-16-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the OBX...no reason to pay 3 times as much for another piece that will do exactly the same thing.

You aren't paying for any high tech piece. Just bent pipe to evacuate exhaust more efficiently.

I went with nameless ebay headers and it was the best thing I've done. Even saved money over OBX, lol (about half as much).

Make the same power, make the same sound, save 75%....yes please.
Proud Owner (12-10-2015)
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
getburnt
Pro

If you do happen to go with obx you will need 32in o2 ext for the rear and 26in ext for the front. And also several zip ties to hold the extensions off of the headers!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:41 AM
upsta8NY
Racer

These are very tempting as a guy local to me said he would sell me his for cheap.Buy where would i find exgensions that long?
Op i had these on my 07 silverado before i traded it in and loved the sound and sop feeling.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing wrong with OBX headers and IF you gain any more power with headers 3 times the price, the power gained certainly isnt worth the money. Ive owned OBX, Kooks, LG, ARH and others, they perform just as well as anything else ive ever owned. As far as quality goes, the are built very well, They may not be as "pretty" as some of the others out there but they fit great, make the power, and are a third of the price.

Do I believe in buying american, you bet I do. But when we as americans are pricing ourselves out of the market, there is no way in hell I am going to spend three times the money for no reason.
jmel (12-19-2015)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by getburnt
If you do happen to go with obx you will need 32in o2 ext for the rear and 26in ext for the front. And also several zip ties to hold the extensions off of the headers!
A) you need front O2 extensions for all longtube headers
B) you don't need rear O2 extensions for any longtube header
C) you don't need zip-ties if you route it properly, but they help (again, with ANY longtube header though)

Nothing that you typed out is exclusive to OBX
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

You don't need rear O2 sensors at all for long tube headers. They do nothing but plug the hole and get tuned out anyhow.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:09 AM
terryscott621
8th Gear

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Get the OBX...no reason to pay 3 times as much for another piece that will do exactly the same thing.

You aren't paying for any high tech piece. Just bent pipe to evacuate exhaust more efficiently.

Make the same power, make the same sound, save 75%....yes please.
^^^This!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
vince3
Racer

I would vote yes.

My ls2 c6 with a 232/234 cam car with obx headers, fast 102 and vararam put down
435/415.

I basically got the fast intake for free instead of buying "name brand" headers.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
The Corvette demographic is about the cheapest collective group I have ever seen. Get what you want but the saying you get what you pay for is most always true.

Although I prefer to call myself "frugal" rather than cheap!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 PM
getburnt
Pro

If you do purchase these I would recommend not purchasing from RacingPartsDepot on ebay! I belive my problem was with them not so much with the OBX headers themselves. Just do a search on Racing Parts Depot and you will find several stories where they send the wrong product and do not offer a solution to replace the product other than you paying the shipping to return them yourself! The actual headers fit nice (as long as they send you the size for your application). If you go to OBX Racing's site they have three dealers that sell their parts, a good option would be to check out the other two IMO! Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

does anyone know if someone has documented what needs to be done to the obx setup to make it work??

Cause i was just wandering since i own a welder i could fix the issue myself...

Get notified of new replies

To OBX Headers yes or no....

Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

does anyone know if someone has documented what needs to be done to the obx setup to make it work??

Cause i was just wandering since i own a welder i could fix the issue myself...
You'd need a tubing bender (muffler shop hardware)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Spectrel
Burning Brakes

I vote yes, I saved alot of cash and made some good power. Zero complaints.
Proud Owner (12-10-2015)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 PM
storxusmc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
You'd need a tubing bender (muffler shop hardware)
do you by chance know what has to be bent?? and how so.. or maybe someone has pics...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBX Headers yes or no....