C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oil smoke?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 648 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Synthetic oil smoke?

Does synthetic oil smoke like dino oil. I heard a rumor it does not ??
Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Olive oil doesn't smoke till 450F...........I use this

Last edited by Imo Apita; 05-14-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I like extra virgins.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I like extra virgins.
Ah, yes - are they are the ones that often look like the rear end of a London Transport double decker bus ?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 648 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Yes.
Do you want to think about it?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BPHORSEGUY
I also thought it didn't smoke or at least not as much.
I've had customers in with Mobile 1 that showed no oil on the dipstick,engine had no major leaks and the customer said they never saw any smoke. It made sense the rumor was true.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:29 PM
BTGRN75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

It smokes less in 2cycle motors like weed-eaters etc. ,so I think it would smoke less .
Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Believe me, it does smoke. My dad has a 90 ZR-1 and those early 90-92 motors were designed without valve stem seals. So they will smoke some on start up and hard accelerations. The later year, 93-95, motors had valve seals to eliminate this. All my dad's motor has ever seen has been Mobil 1 both by him and the previous owner. It smokes and after a while of not washing it, the back end gets black.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Ah, yes - are they are the ones that often look like the rear end of a London Transport double decker bus ?
That's the ones. Imagine a double decker bus full of extra virgins. You can never have too many extra virgins.

Even if some of them smoke.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 05-15-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Do you want to think about it?
OK,OK...I honestly couldn't tell you if synthetic smokes more than mineral oil or not. I only put it my own street-driven cars once when I bought a case of Valvoline synthetic and split it between wifey's Isuzu Rodeo and my Ford Ranger. The Isuzu had never used oil before in any noticeable amount but within 2000 miles of putting the synthetic in it the oil light came on and when I checked it there wasn't any showing on the dip stick. It never did visibly smoke or do anything else to indicate that it was using oil excessively and I was never able to figure out where it disappeared to. I understand that synthetic typically has better thermal properties than dino oil, i.e., it doesn't break down below 300 degrees, but I don't know if that would make it smoke more or less than conventional oil. Hope this doesn't add to the confusion too much, and I hope everybody gets those extra virgins!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

OK,OK...I honestly couldn't tell you if synthetic smokes more than mineral oil or not. I only put it my own street-driven cars once when I bought a case of Valvoline synthetic and split it between wifey's Isuzu Rodeo and my Ford Ranger. The Isuzu had never used oil before in any noticeable amount but within 2000 miles of putting the synthetic in it the oil light came on and when I checked it there wasn't any showing on the dip stick. It never did visibly smoke or do anything else to indicate that it was using oil excessively and I was never able to figure out where it disappeared to. I understand that synthetic typically has better thermal properties than dino oil, i.e., it doesn't break down below 300 degrees, but I don't know if that would make it smoke more or less than conventional oil. Hope this doesn't add to the confusion too much, and I hope everybody gets those extra virgins!
Now your confusing me. Are you saying synthetic smokes or doesn't smoke ?
Your first post seems to indicate your saying YES it smokes but your 2nd post seems to align with my experience =
The oil in the engine disappeared with no apparent smoke and no leaks.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
That's the ones. Imagine a double decker bus full of extra virgins. You can never have too many extra virgins. Even if some of them smoke.
No wonder so many Muslims live there.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Now your confusing me. Are you saying synthetic smokes or doesn't smoke ?
Your first post seems to indicate your saying YES it smokes but your 2nd post seems to align with my experience =
The oil in the engine disappeared with no apparent smoke and no leaks.
What I'm saying is I'm not really sure...but (apparently like yourself) I have experienced mysterious synthetic oil disappearance syndrome and not seen any smoke to indicate that I was burning oil. In my first post I was admittedly being a bit of a smart ****. With the kind of consumption that I was seeing (3 quarts in 2000 miles) there should have been huge billowing clouds of blue smoke but there wasn't...so I suppose it's quite likely that synthetic oil doesn't smoke as much as mineral oil, extra virgins notwithstanding.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Oh those combustion temps will make any oil smoke alright.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

From my experience, Synthetic oil smokes just like dino oil. My daughter is driving my '93 GMC pickup. I bought it new and have used Mobil 1 from the beginning. On the way home from picking it up, I had the oil changed to Mobil 1 with just 22 miles on the odometer. This is contrary to what many say on the forum that you can't break-in an engine on synthetic. Well, the engine now has 198,00 miles on it. It's begun smoking just on startup, so the valve seals have finally given up. I checked compression on all cylinders and they're all right around 160 so the rings are OK. By the way, it's a good ole 350. It's puff of smoke on startup looks just like any oil smoke from an engine that needs new seals.
Duane
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

What I'm saying is I'm not really sure...but (apparently like yourself) I have experienced mysterious synthetic oil disappearance syndrome and not seen any smoke to indicate that I was burning oil. In my first post I was admittedly being a bit of a smart ****. With the kind of consumption that I was seeing (3 quarts in 2000 miles) there should have been huge billowing clouds of blue smoke but there wasn't...so I suppose it's quite likely that synthetic oil doesn't smoke as much as mineral oil, extra virgins notwithstanding.
How did you fix the "mysterious synthetic oil disappearance syndrome"

please do tell... thx...p

Get notified of new replies

To Synthetic oil smoke?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pauldana
How did you fix the "mysterious synthetic oil disappearance syndrome"

please do tell... thx...p
I did the logical thing...stopped using synthetic oil!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

I did the logical thing...stopped using synthetic oil!
and just how did that fix the problem? plz explain.... I go through a lot of oil also... mobile 1...... and the last 3 engines i have built do the same thing.....I believe it has a lot to do with long runs above steady 4K RPM....
Old 05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

I have read some of these seemingly endless threads regarding synthetic vs. mineral oil and they always degenerate into an endless (and pointless IMHO) argument. I DO know this...that when I ran 1 batch of Valvoline synthetic in wifey's Rodeo it used 3 quarts of it in 2000 miles, and when I switched back to mineral oil it stopped doing that. I'm sure that before this baby peters out some chemical engineering whiz kid will appear with a sophisticated-sounding explanation. I personally don't know why our car consumed the stuff so voraciously but as it turned out the solution was certainly simple enough. I did use 15-50 Mobil 1 in my vintage racer with good results for 3 years, reason being that synth is well known (to my satisfaction anyway) for resisting high temperatures and here in SoCal we tended to do a lot of racing in hot locales in the summer. For a street-driven car I just can't justify the added expense of synthetic. The whole ZDDP issue is really beginning to rear its ugly head though...this debate will probably never end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic oil smoke?