C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light

Old 05-08-2011, 02:54 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check Engine Light

I know there has been a lot of discussion about The Check Engine Light. I've even done some search here on it. I guess the most common reason would be The Gas Cap it seems. Anybody got or had The Check Engine Light come on and what was the problem? I know there are many reasons for The Check Engine Light but I'm trying to find out the most common reasons. What say you. I'm gong to start this thread in the C6 Z06 Corvette also.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What codes are showing?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z11409
What codes are showing?
I haven't checked the codes yet. Light just showed up last night. Trying to find out all I can about the Check Engine Light for now.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:36 PM
flor
Intermediate

Hello i had the CEL about two years ago. It gave codes P0172 and P0175. I replaced the gas cap with no luck. Placed a new air mass meter, this solved the problem for a month or so. But when it showed up again it looked like it came up after bumps in the road. I secured the connector to the air mass meter and wiring with a tire wrap to the AMM housing so it couldn't move anymore and the CEL hasn't shown up since. That was about one and a half year ago.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

There is no "most common" reason the CEL light comes on. NEVER assume it's one code or another. ALWAYS get it checked.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shado
There is no "most common" reason the CEL light comes on. NEVER assume it's one code or another. ALWAYS get it checked.
I agree with get it checked but, there has to be a most common (happens more often than any other) reason it happens. Even the owners manual don't treat the Check Engine Light on steady as too serious.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are too many things that can trip the CEL. Never assume. Its too easy to check.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

There are something like 160+ variables that OBII monitors. As such, there are a lot of different things that can cause the CEL to come on. As already said, the best thing you can do is read the codes, then there is no guess work. You can buy an OBII code reader for under $100 this days.....I always carry one in my car.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I do need a code reader. I have been shopping around on the Internet today and find many models from about $30 on up. Who makes the best code reader for the money and then who makes just the best?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 AM
flor
Intermediate

Just buy a obd2 scanner on ebay This will tell you the code and this link will show the possible codes, it's obvious there is not one common fault to set off the cel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Several years ago I had a CEL because of the gas cap. Been fine since.

If your looking for a scanner Amazon is an excellent source. I wouldn't really say one particular scanner is better then the rest. You just need to decide what features you want. I went with a basic scanner that reads, clears codes, and shows completed emissions tests. I'm also playing around with a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBDII port. With that I can use my Android phone to take care of codes as well as monitor other data.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by flor
Just buy a obd2 scanner on ebay This will tell you the code and this link will show the possible codes, it's obvious there is not one common fault to set off the cel.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
I just ordered an ob2 scanner on Amazon so I can actually see what it is.

But, it's not obvious to me that there is not one common fault to set off the check engine light. I know there are many, many things that can trigger the check engine light. However if one was to list all the faults and the number of times that fault has been triggered there has to be one that is triggered the most. There might be a close second etc., but one fault has to win or do you think there would be a tie for the lead fault?

My new obd2 reader should be here in 2 days and then I'll know which one is at the top of my list anyway.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Several years ago I had a CEL because of the gas cap. Been fine since.

If your looking for a scanner Amazon is an excellent source. I wouldn't really say one particular scanner is better then the rest. You just need to decide what features you want. I went with a basic scanner that reads, clears codes, and shows completed emissions tests. I'm also playing around with a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the OBDII port. With that I can use my Android phone to take care of codes as well as monitor other data.
Yes, I've had the gas cap trigger the check engine light on another vehicle (non-Vette) in the past. My guess is that's probably the top fault but that's just a guess on my part.

I went ahead an ordered an Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner on Amazon last night. Should be here in a couple days.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I never had a check engine light. I think no light is the most common.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
I never had a check engine light. I think no light is the most common.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Just because, let's say a gas cap light, is the most common, that doesn't mean that's what YOUR light is from. If you're checking it anyway, the most common doesn't really matter. Research just for the sake of research?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
vette902
Advanced

so what is deal when a light comes on and then goes off and has not been back on since?

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine Light

Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just because, let's say a gas cap light, is the most common, that doesn't mean that's what YOUR light is from. If you're checking it anyway, the most common doesn't really matter. Research just for the sake of research?
I agree, but no body said my problem would be the most common. I have a scanner on the way to find out actual problem. I was just curious about what the most common would be. Why are you flying off the handle because I was curious. I would still like to know what the most common problem is. I started this thread to research what the most common problem was, not to debate if it mattered or not. Just curious!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by USA1C5
I agree, but no body said my problem would be the most common. I have a scanner on the way to find out actual problem. I was just curious about what the most common would be. Why are you flying off the handle because I was curious. I would still like to know what the most common problem is. I started this thread to research what the most common problem was, not to debate if it mattered or not. Just curious!
Haha...how am I flying off the handle??? I was just curious why you were so insistent on finding the most common cause. Most common for what? Stock? Tune? Headers w/cats? Headers w/o cats? CAI? H/C? S/C? Nitrous? 89 oct? Any one of these could set off codes for all sorts of things. I'm sure i'm just restating the obvious now though. I'd just hate to see someone assume it's one particular code because it always pops up and have it actually be something more serious and cause damage. (I've seen it before) but that's your business I guess.

Good luck with your search
Old 05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
USA1C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Why is it that no matter what thread is started there is always someone that has to be argumentative on something. There is always somebody.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light