Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seatbelt dye colour change!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 AM
daddysvet92
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Seatbelt dye colour change!

I'm wondering if anyone has, or can you dye the seat belts a different colour?
In my 92, the seat belts are light tan, but I wanted to dye them black to impove the look as well as the other interior project I'm doing.

Can this be done successfully, and with what product?
Has anyone done this and have any feed back?

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You can dye seats, trim, and carpet with SEM. Don't see why you couldn't dye seat belts as well.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:42 PM
a454corvette
Racer

All my collision industry training advises to NEVER dye seatbelts. It is possible that the dye will weaken the belt webbing material...not an item you really want to take a chance on. When you need them, you'll want them to be 100%
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tried it with SEM and they looked like crap could not get it to work out right.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:14 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by a454corvette
All my collision industry training advises to NEVER dye seatbelts. It is possible that the dye will weaken the belt webbing material...not an item you really want to take a chance on. When you need them, you'll want them to be 100%
Interesting....
Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I changed the interior color from Red to Black. The red belts looked terrible. I sent my old belts with retractors to
www.seatbeltsolutions they rebuilt the retractors and put on new Yellow Webbing. They look like brand new. They have many many colors to choose from. As others have shared, do not dye them. Never use any thing on them other than mild soap and water

8Valve
Old 04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
daddysvet92
Pro

Originally Posted by 8valve
I changed the interior color from Red to Black. The red belts looked terrible. I sent my old belts with retractors to
www.seatbeltsolutions they rebuilt the retractors and put on new Yellow Webbing. They look like brand new. They have many many colors to choose from. As others have shared, do not dye them. Never use any thing on them other than mild soap and water

8Valve
Thanks for everyone's advise, I will check into this company or I may look for black ones in the For Sale section of the CF.

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

8Valve
what did that cost ?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
KEG64
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I needed the lap belt replaced on one of mine, it had been cut. I checked a place on line, not seatbelt solutions; they quoted me $150 to replace the lap belt, $200 for the lap and shoulder. For that kind of money I figured I would see if I could replace it. Cost me $22 for material and the upholstery shop sewing the buckle on the lap belt. The webbing is a little different in design but it’s the same color and it works.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
what did that cost ?
They rebuilt both retractors and lock up mechanisms. Supplied new yellow webbing. With UPS total was $298.00

8Valve
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KEG64
I needed the lap belt replaced on one of mine, it had been cut. I checked a place on line, not seatbelt solutions; they quoted me $150 to replace the lap belt, $200 for the lap and shoulder. For that kind of money I figured I would see if I could replace it. Cost me $22 for material and the upholstery shop sewing the buckle on the lap belt. The webbing is a little different in design but it’s the same color and it works.
Thats a good price. However, are you willing to bet your life that the Upholstery Shop used the right thread, the right stitch, the right number of stitches, the right stitch pattern etc etc. I would not just trust anyone to know this unless seat belts were their business.

8Valve
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Good point 8 valve. That stictching pattern and thread is super important.
It has to be able to hold up in impact only 1 chance at that.
My seatbelts although old appeared fine til I washed them. Soon as I pulled on them after that they fell apart. Def need the right material too.
Did cut one back and had someone sew it up best they could just couldnt risk someones like in the name of saving money (wont be using it)

Last edited by cv67; 05-01-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by a454corvette
Wait! I just remembered....

In the movie "Shanghai Nights", Owen Wilson had to pee on Jackie Chan's shirt to make it strong enough to bend the jail bars! Now, you're going to tell us getting seat belt material wet (with dye) makes it weaker?

Seriously, hard to believe dye would weaken seat belts but I can't afford the test to disprove it. I can, however, imagine that dying some colors (to other colors) may end up looking crappy. Also, it would depend on the dye used.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW: read this thread last night, sent sestbeltsolutions an e-mail asking for a quote on repairs. At 7AM today had a reply, wanted more info. Have no clue what the outcome will be but the willingness to respond that quick is impressive.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
a454corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Seriously, hard to believe dye would weaken seat belts but I can't afford the test to disprove it. I can, however, imagine that dying some colors (to other colors) may end up looking crappy. Also, it would depend on the dye used.

Without knowing all the properties of the fibers used to make the webbing, AND the chemical content of the dye, AND it's effect on said fibers, it's a crapshoot. Feelin' lucky?

Seriously, with the many thousands of dollars many owners spend on brake upgrades,drivetrain upgrades, and all the other things we spend money on, is a couple hundred dollars to ensure your safety restraints are 100% even a question?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
KEG64
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats a good price. However, are you willing to bet your life that the Upholstery Shop used the right thread, the right stitch, the right number of stitches, the right stitch pattern etc etc. I would not just trust anyone to know this unless seat belts were their business.

8Valve
Yes, I have no problem with the work they did. I have looked at the seat belts in 4 of my vehicles, I do not see any common stitch pattern, stitch or number of stitches on any of these so it appears there is no standard used by the different manufactures for stitching the seat belts. So which one is doing it right, Mazda, Chevy, Toyota or VW? Or is there something I am missing?

Last edited by KEG64; 05-01-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
daddysvet92
Pro

I sent seatbeltsolutions an email, on the cost only for changing the color of the cloth, because the rest of the seat belt is fine as well as the mechanism!
Will let you know what the cost for the color change is!

Thanks
Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Seatbelt dye colour change!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Another thought, if there was an accident and ins investigated and caught an ill repaired belt guessing they could nix some of the damages.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daddysvet92
I sent seatbeltsolutions an email, on the cost only for changing the color of the cloth, because the rest of the seat belt is fine as well as the mechanism!
Will let you know what the cost for the color change is!

Thanks
Chris
Just got an answer to my last e-mail. $175.00 per side for new webbing. I have no real idea if this is high or low but my knee jerk reaction is
Old 05-01-2011, 04:56 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Muffin
Just got an answer to my last e-mail. $175.00 per side for new webbing. I have no real idea if this is high or low but my knee jerk reaction is
Prices have gone up since they did mine jut about a year ago....see post #10.

8valve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seatbelt dye colour change!