F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

getting rid of c6 for first gen

Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Default getting rid of c6 for first gen

Well I am strongly considering getting rid of my Dsom c6 for a numbers matching 1967 Camaro ss 350 with 4 speed. It looks to be in excellent shape Nd has all original body panels. It was an original California car with a restore about ten years ago. I'm torn between doing it but I have wanted it since I was about 13 I'm 28 now and also the thought of the value increasing instead of decreasing is alluring here is the add. What do you guys think.
350c.i. 4BBL (#s Matching) 295 H.P. V8,
4 Speed Manual (#s Matching) M21 Transmission,
12 Bolt Rear w/ 3.55 Gear Ratio,
Seat Belts,
Deluxe Interior,
Buckets/Console & Hurst Shifter,
Factory AM Radio w/ Rear Antenna,
Aftermarket Gauge Cluster Under Dash,
Cal-Trac Traction Bars,
Flowmaster Dual Exhaust,
(Group-4 Options-P) - SS 350 Package,
Correct Marina Blue Exterior (Paint Code F-F),
Correct Parchment Vinyl Interior (Trim Code 797-2),
Factory Steel Wheels & Hubcaps w/ Redline Radial Tires,
Original Protect-O-Plate,
Gorgeous Fit & Finish!
Runs & Drives Fantastic!
Very Fine Example of a Correct Classic Camaro SS!!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

More pics
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Anybody have any input......am I crazy
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

My first car was a 1978 Camaro Z28 back in 1980 ( telling my age) I have owned every generation of Z28/SS except the 1st Gen's.... Love the car!! That being said.. YES, you would be crazy to trade the C6 for that 1st gen IMHO! Although i love that 67!! i don't think i could do it. I know i would not trade my C5 Z!!! just one mans opinion.. we all have em... Keep us posted.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

I'm just tired of wanting to drive it but every time I take it out something happens to it. I took it to dinner on Saturday night and came out and somebody spit on the windshield and had a foot print on the nose. Thank god no damage was done. Then you have people that think 40k miles is high miles. At 28 if I'm going to have a garage queen I'm getting one that's going to hold value and hopefully gain some money. Next vette I get is going to be c6z with like 80k miles so I can enjoy it.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Art,

Many have struggled with the idea of trading out a newer car for a classic in order to not lose so much $$ on depreciation.

Remember, though, you will still have significant $$ tied up in a car, plus there ain't no way to enjoy a Sat. nite dinner, knowing your classic Camaro is exposed out in a parking lot! All classic cars are nothing more than toys. You will lose the practicality of your C6.

I assume the C6 is not your DD, right? If it is, that changes everything. IMO, I prefer the 69 Camaro to the first yr. 67. I like the blue, but am not a fan of white interior.

You're a young guy, go for it! With the US economy as crazy as it is, gas about to be $5, etc., there are no guarantees that you won't lose $$ on a 1st Gen. Camaro. But it is about as safe a car there is to buy, hold for a while, and still be able to get your $$ back out.

Let us know what you decide.

Rickman
Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

One more thought:

Had a friend whose lifelong dream car was a 67 coupe. Once he realized his dream for close to $60k, he drove the car sparingly and to shows. It did look great in his garage!!

After about 2 years, he was tired of having so much $$ tied up in the car and tired of worrying that something would happen to the car. He sold it.

Rickman
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're not crazy; it's obvious something is making you unhappy with the C6 and you're looking at alternatives. That 67 Camaro is beautiful. Is there a particular reason you want a firstgen or this specific car?

I sold my C6Z for my dream car... a perfect thirdgen Camaro. I basically had driven a C6 platform for 6 years and it just wasn't doing it anymore. Fantastic car for sure, but I was ready for something new.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...or-a-what.html

Of course, things are a little different with this than your 67. First, thirdgens haven't appreciated yet like firstgens, so the amount of money tied up in it is substantially less. Second, it's a fuel-injected car with working AC and it gets 26 MPG on the highway. The car splits daily-driving with my 78 Silverado. Let's just say I like old cars; they have character. They're also easier to maintain and not as expensive on parts and repair. The only difficulty is insuring them for routine driving. Collector policies are a waste of time if you want to do more than parade your car.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Rickman no the c6 is not may daily driver. It is a fair weather car and date night car. My dads buddy has a 67 ss396 and I remember just loving that car overtime we went over there when I was kid. It now sits in his garage, he is going to go over stuff to look for tonight with me as he has tons of knowledge on these cars. I'm a big Chevy fan and a first year camaro seems like a good car to start a collection with. I also love the 66-67 chevelle, ill have that someday too lol. Also my father had a camaro back in the day so I'm gonna let him drive it. I already checked insurance and its cheap with no mile restrictions its 150.00 a year insured to appraisal value. The second to last owner of the car came in the shop and has more stuff to it. He is the guy that restored it and owned it for 18 years or something like that.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

The thing that draw me to this car is the correctness of it, nothing that is not supposed to be there is there. Minus a set of gauges under the dash for oil,volts,temp but those are a welcome addition. Also its a 4 speed and not an auto. There shop is doing a full check on the lights, gauges, turn signals, radio, speakers, everything to double check that everything is in working order when I show up Saturday. The sales cut is very pleasant and not pushy. He seems very knowledgeable too. So far he is making this an excellent experience
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artz66
I already checked insurance and its cheap with no mile restrictions its 150.00 a year insured to appraisal value.
What company and what driving restrictions? Also, what type of policy is it? Actual Cash Value or Agreed Value?

I've seen collector insurers give Agreed Value no mile restrictions or allow for generous mileage with low rates, but the type of driving must be strictly pleasure or car shows and parades. Driving to work on a sunny Friday is not covered.

Then, some other mainstream insurers will do Actual Cash Value, which means you're at the mercy of the insurers to determine the value which rarely comes out in your favor.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

It's state farm and its actual cash value as determined by my appraiser. It's sunny drives car shows and parades. Isn't driving to work on a sunny day pleasure haha
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GO FOR IT!
I've owned two 67 RS coupes and a 68 Z/28...two of those had the parchment interior which was hugely difficult to keep clean...

that is a very desirable color combination...

with that gear and smallish tires, expect about 1/2 the mpg of the C6...

I have been considering the same move, but giving up a practically new Vette for an antique (comparatively speaking) gives me pause...

fwiw, the upholstery on the driver's seat looks a little slack, might need new foam?
good luck!
Scott
Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 PM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kybilt
GO FOR IT!
I've owned two 67 RS coupes and a 68 Z/28...two of those had the parchment interior which was hugely difficult to keep clean...

that is a very desirable color combination...

with that gear and smallish tires, expect about 1/2 the mpg of the C6...

I have been considering the same move, but giving up a practically new Vette for an antique (comparatively speaking) gives me pause...

fwiw, the upholstery on the driver's seat looks a little slack, might need new foam?
good luck!
Scott
yeah its def a tug and pull in my mind living up a Jewish car with 40k miles for it but we shall see on Saturday when I get a chance drive and look at it in person
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

*********************DO IT**************************** I still have my 68' Camaro from High school CIRCA 1980
I paid $2,900.00. Plain jane but a 00 paint code, black houndstooth
You are not the 1st to do the swap, this is worth the read :
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/f-bo...the-vette.html
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Not a 1st Gen, but i am quite fond of my 3rd gen... Like my C5Z it's paid for and mine! 1987 with 78K original miles.. L98/700R4 with a 2800 stall...

Get notified of new replies

To getting rid of c6 for first gen

Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Well the car was sweet and checked out. Just could not get the deal sweet enough so I did not pull the trigger. Instead I bought LG pro series headers and off road x pipe to settle me down.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it or you will regret it by the time the C7 and C8 are out.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM
MrAFX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you made a good move not trading for the 67.

1. if the checy does not have a build sheet, it's pretty hard to prove authenticity, unlike firebirds where Pontiac kept the info (pontiacs just don't seem to be worth as much as chebbies though)

2. you sound like a driver kinda person, you can find a cheaper camaro 1st gen for a driver.

3. That car was not completely stock, so appreciation is really pretty slow, and honestly it was not even close to the value of your 40k mile c6; especially at this time.

4. lots of good cars out there for sale due to unfortunate unemployment circumstances for people.

5. That's a sub 20k camaro in my non expert humble hobbiest opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: getting rid of c6 for first gen