C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro6Ten A/C compressor

Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Pro6Ten A/C compressor

Has anyone installed one of these in your C3?
The stock A6 compressor running R-134A is a HP hog and really loads my engine down at idle. I am hoping this will be a better option.

I have also read that our old A/C systems will run better with R-134A if the condenser is upgrade to a newer crossflow style. Which one should I look at?

Also, are there any 73 owners who have installed a VIR eliminator?
I assume this kit just locates the POA valve outside the receiver (accumulator). If so, will the POA valve need to be adjusted for use with R-134A or should it be adjusted out of the box?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2011, 02:19 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If you are not too concerned about the stock look, definitely go with the pro6ten compressor, it will be lighter on the engine and will save you some engine bay space, I personally converted to a Sanden 508 but I think both will do the job as required.

You really have to have a parallel flow condenser when you use the R134a, as the conventional condenser will tend to rise the pressure of the refrigerant and will force you not fill the system to %100, which will affect the system's efficiency.

What I did to upgrade my stock A/C was to have a Sanden comp. with brackets and a parallel flow condenser and a POA valve eliminator, now my A/C is literally freezing me to death on long journeys.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by HamadUP
If you are not too concerned about the stock look, definitely go with the pro6ten compressor, it will be lighter on the engine and will save you some engine bay space, I personally converted to a Sanden 508 but I think both will do the job as required.

You really have to have a parallel flow condenser when you use the R134a, as the conventional condenser will tend to rise the pressure of the refrigerant and will force you not fill the system to %100, which will affect the system's efficiency.

What I did to upgrade my stock A/C was to have a Sanden comp. with brackets and a parallel flow condenser and a POA valve eliminator, now my A/C is literally freezing me to death on long journeys.
Is there a parallel flow condenser that will fit with the stock brackets and hoses, or with a minimum of modification?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kevin_73
Is there a parallel flow condenser that will fit with the stock brackets and hoses, or with a minimum of modification?
Yes, Vintage Air are selling a condenser kit that contains a condenser with the C3 brackets and a dryer can, the kit will fit with no modifications.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HamadUP
Yes, Vintage Air are selling a condenser kit that contains a condenser with the C3 brackets and a dryer can, the kit will fit with no modifications.
HamadUP, could you provide the PN for that condenser kit?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind me jumping in, I just got the same kit yesterday shipped through FedEx. The Vintage Air condenser kit with drier is stock # 021073 (205.00) An A/C mechanic I know advised me to add an electric fan set up in front of the condenser. This will also bring vent temps down. The fan kit # 302686-cca
(179.00) and the last item VA suggested was a male trinary switch (35.50).
This switch allows the fan to cycle on and off.
Good luck with your project.

Bill
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sweeet76
If you don't mind me jumping in, I just got the same kit yesterday shipped through FedEx. The Vintage Air condenser kit with drier is stock # 021073 (205.00) An A/C mechanic I know advised me to add an electric fan set up in front of the condenser. This will also bring vent temps down. The fan kit # 302686-cca
(179.00) and the last item VA suggested was a male trinary switch (35.50).
This switch allows the fan to cycle on and off.
Good luck with your project.

Bill
Sweet76, is there really room on the front of the condenser for a fan? Will the hood hit it? Would you mount it behind the condenser instead? I think there is room between there and the radiator. I have a 76 too and am interested in getting a parallel flow condenser.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

the instructions are specific for a 68-76 vette and it shows the fan mountef to the front of the condenser with no modifications. There is a page showing an optional hood prop modification for 68-71 years. if you want to pm a fax number, I will fax pictures and instructions.

Bill
Old 04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 16x25" parallel flow condenser from NOSTALGIC AIR PARTS - $99.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com

I have a 77 and I used the two bars that mounted the original condenser and used some 'Z' channel to connect the built-in brackets on the parallel flow to the original mounts.

I also used a trinary switch connected to my DCC fan controller to get full flow from my Mark VIII fan. This fan draws enough that you don't need any booster fans.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you guys just use R12 and avoid the need for new condensors, fans and other stuff. Plenty of R12 available and refrigeration unit was designed for it.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Why don't you guys just use R12 and avoid the need for new condensors, fans and other stuff. Plenty of R12 available and refrigeration unit was designed for it.
Illegal in Canada.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by TopGunn
Right after I bought my vette I rebuilt the A/C system. New A6 compressor, new high pressure hoses, new o-rings, new VIR, and had both the condenser and evaporator pressure tested. I had it charged with R-12 at a cost of $200. The A/C worked relatively well for a couple of weeks. Then one day not long after driving the vette I was inside the house and heard a loud POP and hiss coming from the garage. The high pressure hose that I had installed had burst because it was made with the wrong type of rubber hose. Two hundreds bucks worth of R-12 gone.
I decided when I rebuilt it that I was going to use R-134A because it is about 1/4 the cost, and I can buy it legally and charge it myself.

I just want to have a A/C system that cools well in 100 degree+ Texas summers, doesn't bog the engine too much for stop and go driving, is reliable, and serviceable by myself. The original R-12 system was marginal at best, but I think with modern components I can get what I want.

All that being said. My new Pro6ten compressor, VIR eliminator, and cross flow condenser arrived yesterday from Old Air Products. I will start working on installing them next week and I will try to take pics and post a thread with the progress.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

My 76 already had the R-134A system installed when I bought it 8 years ago.Would not make much sense to change back at this point.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by paul 74
Illegal in Canada.
No kidding! Then it must be illegal to repair an existing system??
It's illegal here to make a new system or to generate new R12 but the recovered stuff can still be used. In fact it seems to be more available now then before because of the low demand.
You guys are tough up there!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevin_73
The high pressure hose that I had installed had burst because it was made with the wrong type of rubber hose. Two hundreds bucks worth of R-12 gone.
I know how you feel mine did the same thing shortly after I got the car and recharged the system. I didn't have the smarts to replace the hoses so mine blew out because of an old one. I replaced it and recharged the system and it's been fine for many years. Good luck with your retrofit

Get notified of new replies

To Pro6Ten A/C compressor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pro6Ten A/C compressor