Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette for 2012

Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Corvette for 2012

2012 New Features:

• Exterior colors:
(58U) Carbon Flash Metallic (included and only available with [ZLC] Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition)
(GLF) Carlisle Blue Metallic
• (ZLC) Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition
Commemorates Chevrolet’s 100thanniversary. Available on 3LT, 4LT, 3LZ and 3ZR. Includes (58U) CarbonFlash Metallic exterior color, special Chevrolet Centennial Black wheels (specific to model) with special center cap logos, Satin Black graphics, Magnetic Selective Ride Control, Red brake calipers, special badging, Ebony seating surfaces with suede accents and Red stitching, Custom Leather wrapped instrument panel and doors (except 3LT), seat embossment, steering wheel badge and special interior trim plate.
• New 2LT Technology Package featuring Bluetooth1 for select phones, Head-Up Display, Bose, navigation and USB port2
• (34T) Blue convertible top (interim introduction during 2011MY)
• (RUL) 5-spoke, Chevrolet Centennial Black with Red stripe aluminum, 18" front and 19" rear wheels (included and only available on Coupe and Convertible with [ZLC] Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition)
• (RUM) Grand Sport Chevrolet Centennial Black aluminum, 18" front and 19" rear wheels (included and only available on Grand Sport with [ZLC] Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition)
• (RUR) Chevrolet Centennial Black with Red stripe, cup style aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels (included and only available on Z06 and ZR1 with [ZLC] Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition)
• (RUV) Black cup style lightweight aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels (included and only available on Z06 with [F55] Magnetic Selective Ride Control or [Z07] Z06 Ultimate Performance Package; also included and only available on ZR1 with [PDE] ZR1 High Performance Package)
• (Q5V) Machined-face, cup style aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, available on Z06 (with F55 or
Z07) and ZR1
• (XFH) Michelin PS Cup tires (included and only available with [Z07] Z06 Ultimate Performance Package or [PDE] ZR1 High Performance Package)
• (PDE) ZR1 High Performance Package, includes (RUV) Black cup style lightweight 19" front and 20" rear wheels, (XFH) Michelin PS Cup tires and (MH3) 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission
• New (F55) Magnetic Selective Ride Control available with Z06, includes Performance Traction Management (PTM), (RUV) Black cup style lightweight aluminum wheels and (XFG) Michelin PS2 tires
• Z07 now includes Performance Traction Management (PTM), (XFH) Michelin PS
Cup tires (optimized for warm, dry weather performance with reduced tread wear rating), (RUV) Black cup style lightweight aluminum wheels, (F55) Magnetic Selective Ride Control and Brembo carbon ceramic brakes
• (B92) Carbon fiber hood available for Z06
• Colored calipers available in (J6D) Dark Gray Metallic, (J6F) Red (standard on Z06), (J6C) Silver (standard on Grand Sport) and (J6E) Yellow
• (PIN) Customer selectable VIN (restrictions and approval required, available for SOLD orders only)

Changes from 2011:

• Front and rear tires are now represented with 1 RPO code
• (MM6) is now the RPO code for the 6-speed manual transmission for Coupe, Convertible and Z06
• (MZ6) is now the RPO code for the 6-speed manual transmission for Grand Sport
• (ME2) is now the RPO code for the 6-speed manual transmission for ZR1
• (MYC) is now the RPO code for the 6-speed automatic transmission
• 3LT, 4LT and 2LZ now include (U3U) navigation1 audio system and USB port2
• New steering wheel design
• Suede seat inserts included on 4LT, 3LZ, 3ZR
• Bose audio upgrade to 9 speakers with new subwoofers
• (J55) Brake calipers painted Black

Deletions from 2012:

• Exterior colors
––(41U) Black
––(85U) Jetstream Blue Metallic Tintcoat
• (US9) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
2012 New Features:

• (XFH) Michelin PS Cup tires (included and only available with [Z07] Z06 Ultimate Performance Package or [PDE] ZR1 High Performance Package)
Anyone got any salt for this crow? And what do I do with the extra feathers when I'm done? I'm beyond flabbergasted that GM is including R-compound cup tires from the factory. Very, very unlike them, and they're going to make for some unhappy campers come tire change time.

Think PS2 ZPs are expensive? ...

jas
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

• (PDE) ZR1 High Performance Package, includes (RUV) Black cup style lightweight 19" front and 20" rear wheels, (XFH) Michelin PS Cup tires and (MH3) 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission

Looks like the '12 will be the fastest around the roadcourse! Now we can see what is really does against the likes of the ACR and GT2RS.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no black paint for 2012 seems odd
Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns

Looks like the '12 will be the fastest around the roadcourse! Now we can see what is really does against the likes of the ACR and GT2RS.
Hell Yeah!!! Is that the same compound thats on the acr?
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tomsws6
Hell Yeah!!! Is that the same compound thats on the acr?
Yes. No more excuses. We'll see what it can do at Laguna and Miller.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
Yes. No more excuses. We'll see what it can do at Laguna and Miller.
The question is GM going to make a concerted effort to try and chase down lap times like Dodge has been doing? The only place GM made a "factory " effort was the Ring. All the other ZR1 lap times have come from magazine test and comparisons.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Anyone got any salt for this crow? And what do I do with the extra feathers when I'm done? I'm beyond flabbergasted that GM is including R-compound cup tires from the factory. Very, very unlike them, and they're going to make for some unhappy campers come tire change time.

Think PS2 ZPs are expensive? ...

jas
To quote you JVP "never going to happen"

Ian
Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad I held off on having custom wheels made.....will be buying a set of 19/20 factory black satin wheels with Michelin Sport Cup wheels!!!!

VIR here we come!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Michael ZR1
no black paint for 2012 seems odd
Black is typically one of the highest selling colors, if not the highest, and now you can only get a metallic black if you want the special model. Some of the metallic blacks are nice, but I still prefer a nice, clean basic black.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

2012 New Features:

• (RUM) Grand Sport Chevrolet Centennial Black aluminum, 18" front and 19" rear wheels (included and only available on Grand Sport with [ZLC] Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition)
Great option code name.

Let me see if I follow this, the…ZR1…now…has…a…HIGH PERFORMANCE PACKAGE?...! Excuse me while I go outside and shoot mine a swift kick. Honestly, what's next. A performance upgrade for the 911 GT2 RS? An HGTE package for the 599 GTO? BTW, WTH do they mean by a close ratio manual transmission? Closer than the one now on the ZR1 I just bought?

• Colored calipers available in (J6D) Dark Gray Metallic, (J6F) Red (standard on Z06), (J6C) Silver (standard on Grand Sport) and (J6E) Yellow
Is this now available for the ZR1? If so, I love the customization idea of coloring the brake calipers the same as your Cyber Gray, Silver, Red or Yellow car. Very nice if so. I particularly love the blue calipers on my blue ZR1. Gives the car such a custom look.

• (PIN) Customer selectable VIN (restrictions and approval required, available for SOLD orders only)
Wait…wut? Somebody explain please. Is that what it seems to be and what are the restrictions?

Still Cup tires were long overdue and a great sign that Corvette intends to stalk its competitors anywhere they go. Can't wait to see the first track tests of the car on this tire.

However, as Jas pointed out, just wait till users get a dose of both the sharply reduced tire life and steep replacement costs of those tires. Great for mag tests, not so great for real life. And just wait till the first wide-eyed, recount of how things went on Cups in the rain.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racerns
The question is GM going to make a concerted effort to try and chase down lap times like Dodge has been doing? The only place GM made a "factory " effort was the Ring. All the other ZR1 lap times have come from magazine test and comparisons.
You win

First excuse.....
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bwright
However, as Jas pointed out, just wait till users get a dose of both the sharply reduced tire life and steep replacement costs of those tires. Great for mag tests, not so great for real life. And just wait till the first wide-eyed, recount of how things went on Cups in the rain.

The best part about it is that its an option so people dont have to buy them. And for all you track guys its always and option to buy a set of standard wheels and tires for daily use and have the optional tires in the garage for the fun days.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by tomsws6
The best part about it is that its an option so people dont have to buy them. And for all you track guys its always and option to buy a set of standard wheels and tires for daily use and have the optional tires in the garage for the fun days.
The point of R-compounds is sometimes lost on a lot of people. Originally the idea: cheap, expendable, sticky as hell, won't last long.

Remember that part about cheap? MPSC don't fall into that category in the least. As good a tire as they are (and they are damned good), they're one of the last tires I'd consider having a set of in the garage for track days. Why? They're just too damned expensive for the amount of life I'd get out of them.

A percentage of the ZR1 (and Z06) buying populace will take their MPSC-equipped cars to the track and definitely work the tires as expected. But that's a small percentage. The larger percentage of people are going to check every option available to get "the best ZR1(Z06) available". And they're going to end up insanely sticky tires until:
  • it rains
  • it gets cooler
  • 5000 miles?

Not to mention other interesting down sides to R compounds. They make a TON more noise in the car than standard street tires do. They sand-blast the fender area, ablating the paint clear off the car.

These are things potential buyers will absolutely have to know about. Or they're going to find out about them.... the hard way.

Good to see GM doing something I didn't ever expect them to: taking a risk. I just hope it doesn't blow up in their face.

jas
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

You win

First excuse.....
Sure, whatever you say. Nervous already?
The point was is GM going to try and go to those tracks to get lap times or do we have the wait and see if magazines happen to test at those tracks again? Hopefully C&D considers it enough of a change to test it in the Lightning Lap. Of course it would be great to see a head to head comparison, but I doubt that will happen since the ACR is so far out of production.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
tomsws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
These are things potential buyers will absolutely have to know about. Or they're going to find out about them.... the hard way.

Good to see GM doing something I didn't ever expect them to: taking a risk. I just hope it doesn't blow up in their face.

jas

I completely agree. But like most of you guys that bought the ZR1 Im sure you did your homework because you didnt get this far in life by being stupid with your money Ofcourse your right there will be people that dont do there homework and check every box and 5k later are on the board bit*hin about there tires
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New MH3 (versus MH2 standard) transmission available for the ZR1 is very interesting....... I would like to hear and be able to compare the ratio numbers.

Why the ZR1 cannot get a windowless hood like the Z06 is beyond me

Seems to me that the Z06 came out a littler better in upgrades than the ZR1........ not that I am not happy for the Z06 but it would have been nice to see a little more for GM's halo car

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette for 2012

Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvp
The point of R-compounds is sometimes lost on a lot of people. Originally the idea: cheap, expendable, sticky as hell, won't last long.

Remember that part about cheap? MPSC don't fall into that category in the least. As good a tire as they are (and they are damned good), they're one of the last tires I'd consider having a set of in the garage for track days. Why? They're just too damned expensive for the amount of life I'd get out of them.

A percentage of the ZR1 (and Z06) buying populace will take their MPSC-equipped cars to the track and definitely work the tires as expected. But that's a small percentage. The larger percentage of people are going to check every option available to get "the best ZR1(Z06) available". And they're going to end up insanely sticky tires until:
  • it rains
  • it gets cooler
  • 5000 miles?

Not to mention other interesting down sides to R compounds. They make a TON more noise in the car than standard street tires do. They sand-blast the fender area, ablating the paint clear off the car.

jas
I don't see how having this as an option can be a negative in any way. If you pay extra for the R-Compound, you should know what you're getting.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by isnider
Glad I held off on having custom wheels made.....will be buying a set of 19/20 factory black satin wheels with Michelin Sport Cup wheels!!!!

VIR here we come!
You & me both!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

If you pay extra for the R-Compound, you should know what you're getting.
I'll take "Missing the Point" for $500, Alex...

jas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette for 2012