Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

Old 04-09-2011, 02:14 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

I think it about time; since most Europoean supercars have had it for around 5 years. Porsche was the first that I know of. Now Ferrari has all it cars with DCT.

I hope GM's DCT is a copy of Ferrari's. That would be super sweet. If the rumors are true; I may buy the ZR1 since it would be extreme nice to drive with out the third pedal getting in the way of driving in any condition.

Comments?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:46 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by HarryWild
Comments?
There's no chance we'll see that trans in the C7!

Remember, the C7 was designed during major GM losses and bankruptcy.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 04-09-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Don't be too sure of that

Originally Posted by TCW
There's no chance we'll see that trans in the C7!

Remember, the C7 was designed during major GM losses and bankruptcy.

Tom
Listen to the Corvette Racing videos.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 607 Likes on 190 Posts

To me, a sports car should have a stick.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Believe it or not; all the patents for the dual clutch transmission are from only three vendors. You can purchase it and modify it or you can just purchase it from a manufacturer that is licensed and use it in your vehicles. It not like GM has to start from zero and work it way up to doing test and design and development for the DCT. It all done for the most part for them. GM just have to shell out the $$$$ to make it happen.

Read this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

It like buying an engine.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:28 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Originally Posted by zland
Well, I respect your opinion; but for my needs; a stick is obsolete in turns of today's techology which provides for computer control that make s the clutch pedal something that is not needed or wanted by a vast majority of the driving public including the purchasers of high end sports cars. It is so stressful to have a manual in stop and go traffic for example and sometimes if you are on top a hill at a stop waiting for the light to turn green; it can be very dicey! Plus, driving these days you have the internet in the car now and other things that come from that: GPS, internet radio which I love; it much better then getting the crappy FM and AM which is limited to maybe two dozen channels with internet radio you have 15,000 plus channels to choose from. Things like that; that make life much more rich.

Last edited by HarryWild; 04-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

They better do something and soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNT2UijpCMs
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 AM
HarryWild
Racer

I read something like the Youtube video a while back.

It seems that the combination of 4 wheel drive is better then the weight for it to launch the car quicker and cornering accelerates is faster too. Two big advantage to having 4 wheel drive. I like another advantage it offer too - can drive in the snow and rain better then 2 wheel front/rear drives - safer and in control.

The DCT each year is just getting faster and better. It like a computer or smartphone; each model is just double the CPU power and that makes it run faster and the software is just that much more user-friendly. Same with the DCT!

Last edited by HarryWild; 04-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

........ I like another advantage it offer too - can drive in the snow and rain better then 2 wheel front/rear drives - safer and in control.

How many AWD Lambos do you see out in the ice and snow? How about in predicted severe thunderstorms or hurricanes? I never see them out in those conditions. The few times I have seen pictures of it, it usually involves a them being buried in a snow bank. Something about AWD not improving braking or allowing one to deny the laws of physics.

Ferrari is just now bring out a AWD car, and it is not a sports car, but a shooting brake.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Topas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer X
How many AWD Lambos do you see out in the ice and snow? How about in predicted severe thunderstorms or hurricanes? I never see them out in those conditions. The few times I have seen pictures of it, it usually involves a them being buried in a snow bank. Something about AWD not improving braking or allowing one to deny the laws of physics.

Ferrari is just now bring out a AWD car, and it is not a sports car, but a shooting brake.
I don't know about you, but having to store the Corvette for 5 months a year beacause it can't handle the snow is a mayor joykill for me. I am all for an AWD, if it helps me to enjoy the car I love for longer time, which it certainly would.

Last edited by Topas; 04-11-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Believe it or not; all the patents for the dual clutch transmission are from only three vendors.GM just have to shell out the $$$$ to make it happen.
And that's exactly why the C7 won't have a DCT.

Tom
Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM
dfarese
Pro

2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 has AWD, seems every top performer, cheap or expensive has AWD. Give me AWD anyday.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:53 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Lamborghini Gallardo
Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess Formula 1 cars are not sports cars then, nor have they been for years

I love my Corvette but after having cars with AWD and DCT the performance is untouchable by conventional sticks, clutches, and two wheel drive.

Its also nice to eat and drink in the car when you are not racing through the gears. Best of all worlds.

The ZR1 would be a MUCH faster and more consistent car with addition of just the DCT.

Last edited by 02HREBlue; 04-10-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue

I love my Corvette but after having cars with AWD and DCT the performance is untouchable by conventional sticks, clutches, and two wheel drive.

Its also nice to eat and drink in the car when you are not racing through the gears. Best of all worlds.

The ZR1 would be a MUCH faster and more consistent car with addition of just the DCT.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chevrolet will GUARANTEE inferior performance and technology and lose many many buyers if they don't include a DCT in the C7. The competition will simply rise, and has risen above them. With DCT in many cars such as GTR, , Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and BMW(even the 335iS not just M3), and even Mitsubishi-----Chevy will be way way behind. I wont buy another Vette period unless its available, and thats why I did not buy a ZR1. AWD also is safer and would be a welcome addition also, but its GOT to have DCT at least as on option. If its not in the C7, I will buy something else.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
UE Triplefi
Pro

...and the higher-tiered Corvettes such as Z06 and ZR1 are NOT sports cars. Z06 and ZR1s are in the old SUPER CAR territory.

To join the "new super car territory" by the likes of GT-R, it MUST have DUAL CLUTCH transmission.

as for sports cars... Honda's S2000 represents everything what (in my opinion) a balanced "Classic Sports Car" should be. If a car maker still insist in making stick-shifter sports car, look at the S2000 for inspiration and as a target.

To reiterate, stick shifters should only be in sports cars like I described above.

Gran Tourer (GT) cars at this present time should be using DCTs.

Last edited by UE Triplefi; 04-10-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 AM
TGstring
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

no stick, no sale, for me anyway.

If I wanted the car to drive for me, I'd just hop in a limo with a driver.

gotta have a clutch and joystick...period.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

For me, staying with the autos, I would love the dual clutch. Now they can still make the manual too but I want a dual clutch, they shift so freakin fast and smooth. I dont think the vette will suffer any sales by offering the dual clutch and the manual too. Most who want the auto would rather have the dual clutch.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 AM
vant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue

You guessed correctly. Formula 1 cars are not sports cars, they are dedicated race cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7