C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZZ4 Headers?

Getting going on the ZZ4 swap into the 77 vette.

I am running the aftermarket true dual 2 1/2" exhaust that runs through the crossmember. They hook up to the sock manifolds.

Are there any headers anyone has used on the ZZ4 to an exhaust like this? I dont want to modify the exhaust since it is so new and in good shape.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
tonyv123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first put a ZZ4 in my corvette, I wanted D port headers on to match the ports on the heads. I put these on

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-head...1963-1982.html

You will have to modify the existing exhaust, but it's not costly, and easy for a muffler shop to do. Other headers will work OK, as they cover the ports, but you'll have to check which brands will cover. I really don't think you'll gain anything you'll notice with the D port headers.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

when i installed my zz4, they didnt have these available they were 12 weeks back ordered... So I went with Sanderson headers(shortys)
And to be honest they almost seem like they would fit on a stock exhaust, but not sure... they are a good header at a good price.
I just sent my headers back to them to have them coated.. i got mine uncoated for the new crate motor i got..

Originally Posted by tonyv123
When I first put a ZZ4 in my corvette, I wanted D port headers on to match the ports on the heads. I put these on

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-head...1963-1982.html

You will have to modify the existing exhaust, but it's not costly, and easy for a muffler shop to do. Other headers will work OK, as they cover the ports, but you'll have to check which brands will cover. I really don't think you'll gain anything you'll notice with the D port headers.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 PM
1980ZZ4
Racer

I did the Hooker Super Comps on mine. After having other header brands, Hookers are the only ones that haven't disappointed me. Expensive, but worth every penny IMO.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I ran the Jet-hot Dynomax headers on my car for a while and eventually switched out to Jet-hot coated Hooker Super Comps. I would recommend the Super Comps. They are a very good header and while the price is up there you get what you pay for. They went in with ease and did not leak like the Dynomax ones did. I also used a Earl's Pressure Master gaskets with the inserts and would recommend those as well.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM
ZZ71S
Racer

I am also using the Hookers no leaks you should go with long tubes if you want to get the most HP out of your engine.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 AM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks for the info.

I am not as much looking for power gains. This is my dads car and the ZZ4 will put out more than enough power for him. We are partially looking at headers for astetics. Seems kinda weak to have that powerful of an engine with stock manifolds.

The key is I dont want to modify the exhaust if possible. Again it is fairly new and in excellent condition. The cost and trouble of modifying it is not worth it to me.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

I think you just answered your own question..
your not going to get much of a hp gain going from stock to a header, and a header is going to need some sort of alignment to the exhaust system.. Save the header money and get your org exhaust manifolds cleaned and coated and they will look awesome..

Just a thought
Originally Posted by ffvetteman
Ok thanks for the info.

I am not as much looking for power gains. This is my dads car and the ZZ4 will put out more than enough power for him. We are partially looking at headers for astetics. Seems kinda weak to have that powerful of an engine with stock manifolds.

The key is I dont want to modify the exhaust if possible. Again it is fairly new and in excellent condition. The cost and trouble of modifying it is not worth it to me.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Used the Hedman's on my ZZ4. They have D shaped ports made to match the ZZ4 exhaust ports.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by FKING1
Used the Hedman's on my ZZ4. They have D shaped ports made to match the ZZ4 exhaust ports.
HE is worried about his stock exhaust.. doesnt want to have to cut it..
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I would stay away from Hedman right now. They have severe fitmit issues that more than one forum member has experienced. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
I would stay away from Hedman right now. They have severe fitmit issues that more than one forum member has experienced. Ask me how I know.
Mine hooked up with no probs and have been perfect for past 2 yr.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:22 PM
trainor
Racer

Check out McJack's, if anybody has an exact fir it will be him. Ask me how I know?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I know. That's why we went with Hedman in the 1st place. Unfortunately that's no longer the case. The R/S header did not clear the idler arm at all. Called Hedman Tech Line and they said it needs a "ding". Well a "ding" didn't come close more like a "smash". Then the collector angle was pointing at about a 60 degree angle to the ground so you couldn't connect the exhaust. Call Hedman back and they say "can't help you the header has been modified (dinged)". What? That's what you guys said to do! I don't know what their problem is. Quality control, manufacturing issues, what ever all I can say is the headers looked beautiful but they did not fit at all! They made no offer to help rectify the problem. Even after looking at pictures they denied it could be the product. They said it was the car. The interesting part of that conclusion is on another car the header fit the exact same way. So I guess 2 bad frames. My advise is no matter who's headers you buy make sure they fit before you do any "dinging" and if they are more than "touching" somewhere you can return them. Then find a brand that fits. I agree that almost every set of headers ends up with a "ding" somewhere but they shouldn't need more than that.

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 Headers?

Quick Reply: ZZ4 Headers?