C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Got the dreaded 4l60e no shift into 3rd or 4th thing

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Got the dreaded 4l60e no shift into 3rd or 4th thing

Hi guys. I have a 4l60e ran by an optishift unit in my 92. I got the "no 3rd gear" problem. The car runs fine in 1st and 2nd and then freewheels like it's in neutral in 3rd. The computer shows that it is shifting into 3rd and you feel it shift out of 2nd(where it's engaged) into 3rd where it doesn't go.

Apparently this could be a couple different things. I'm just reading up now and will post some links to this thread. Apparently this is a very common thing.

And no, the 3rd gear band is not burned up. It's a super heavy duty 4l60 that i haven't even taken to the track yet.

Here are a few links:

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6212...rob/index.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...60e-issue.html

I'm going to try to disconnect the trans harness this weekend and see if I get 3rd.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I have a 4l60e ran by an optishift unit in my 92. I got the "no 3rd gear" problem. The car runs fine in 1st and 2nd and then freewheels like it's in neutral in 3rd. The computer shows that it is shifting into 3rd and you feel it shift out of 2nd(where it's engaged) into 3rd where it doesn't go.

Apparently this could be a couple different things. I'm just reading up now and will post some links to this thread. Apparently this is a very common thing.

And no, the 3rd gear band is not burned up. It's a super heavy duty 4l60 that i haven't even taken to the track yet.

Here are a few links:

I'm going to try to disconnect the trans harness this weekend and see if I get 3rd.
Its not Heavy Duty enough that 4L60E trans of yours.

The 3-4 clutch is gone likely.

Follow "CorvetteMike 2004" and his 700R4 trans build he is currently doing.

I have given him some help there along with Pete K.

Brian

Last edited by 87 vette 81 big girl; 02-19-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 87 vette 81 big girl
Its not Heavy Duty enough that 4L60E trans of yours.

The 3-4 clutch is gone likely.

Follow "CorvetteMike 2004" and his 700R4 trans build he is currently doing.

I have given him some help there along with Pete K.

Brian
I hope the 3/4 isn't gone. I was just putting around on street tires; I didn't even get a chance to beat on it. I hadn't even taken above 3500-4000 rpm that day. It's a fully built unit from Select; about a $3k trans. Even my old "built" 700r4 didn't give up the ghost this quick.

I'm gonna check the software and maybe try pulling the trans connector to see if it engages 3rd then.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 PM
atransmission
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few links:

Sounds like a simple shift solenoid 1-2 2-3 While you are checking them make sure the filter is conected and that the " rubber" is ingaged. Hope this helps

http://atransmission.info
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a peek at this site. I bought their Level 3 package for my son's 4L60E tranny.

http://www.maddogtransmissions.com/v...es/default.htm

watch the video
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Sorry guys. I've been slammed at work so I haven't been able to update this much. I believe the no 3rd or 4th thing is due to the speedo not being hooked up. There apparently is a resistor in the speedo that interfaces with the trans. Also, the 1/2 2/3 shifts are more hydraulic in nature apparently while the 2/3 and 3/4 are more electronic.

Anyhow, hopefully hooking up the speedo (with a dakota digital box in between the trans speed sensor and the cpu) will be the ticket. I just haven't got to it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get it together later tonight so I can run the car over the weekend.

Also, for future reference for anyone swapping a 4l60e into an earlier car and using a trans box, the output signal on the VSS on the newer trans has to be slowed down to work with the older car's cpu and speedo. If you don't, the car will run, but it will say 220 mph when you're going 20.

Which also leads me to the next thing, which is if anyone says they're going faster than 220 on the speedo, they're lying since it only goes to 220!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:06 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys. I've been slammed at work so I haven't been able to update this much. I believe the no 3rd or 4th thing is due to the speedo not being hooked up. There apparently is a resistor in the speedo that interfaces with the trans. Also, the 1/2 2/3 shifts are more hydraulic in nature apparently while the 2/3 and 3/4 are more electronic.

Anyhow, hopefully hooking up the speedo (with a dakota digital box in between the trans speed sensor and the cpu) will be the ticket. I just haven't got to it yet. Hopefully I'll be able to get it together later tonight so I can run the car over the weekend.

Also, for future reference for anyone swapping a 4l60e into an earlier car and using a trans box, the output signal on the VSS on the newer trans has to be slowed down to work with the older car's cpu and speedo. If you don't, the car will run, but it will say 220 mph when you're going 20.

Which also leads me to the next thing, which is if anyone says they're going faster than 220 on the speedo, they're lying since it only goes to 220!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Brian
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM
1989TransAm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what happened to me when I put the 4l60E into my 1989 Trans Am. I also had to go to the Dakota box. With me it would not shift out of 1st gear. I will say I do love the 4L60E transmission. By the way I used the TCI transmission controller.

Get notified of new replies

To Got the dreaded 4l60e no shift into 3rd or 4th thing

Quick Reply: Got the dreaded 4l60e no shift into 3rd or 4th thing