Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Leaking transmission fluid and battery is draining if car is left sitting 94 vet

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am leaking large amounts of transmission fluid 1994 with photos

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I am leaking large amounts of transmission fluid, and have no idea what to look for. I have attached a few photos for you to see how much is leaking in just the last 5 days. The car was moved back little and you can see the new pool forming father back and that is from just the last few hours
As you can see in the second photo there is more fluid about to drip off the transmission pan.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mynoot; 03-07-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not from the pan,and not from the cooler lines at the radiator, so I'd say it's probably where the cooler line(s) enter the transmission housing. Or one of the lines has a hole.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Looks like your torque converter is draining into the transmission which overfills the pan and this overfill drains out the vent. I think there is a check valve to prevent this. You can test this by driving the car, the leak shouldn't show up for a few days.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
84vette96
Racer

I would look at the servo cover. The o ring may have started leaking. The servo is a round cover half way up the side of the transmission.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Generally speaking, when you have a trans leak after sitting awhile, and not when running, it is a case seal. Usually the dip stick tube, or possibly the shifter shaft, possibly the front pump seal. What happens is as the trans sits, fluid will drain back into the pan, causing the level to rise over the above mentioned parts (or others), this is very normal. When the seals are bad you get leaks. That's why you check the transmission fluid when it is running. Are you sure the transmission isn't over filled to begin with. You need to make sure its not leaking when running, which would generally be a pressure leak
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Well thanks for the relays guys, this care sat unran for 5 years and the pan was almost dry, I filled it with just under 8 quarts of fluid in the last 2 weeks and I know it holds around ~6. at this point I cannot drive the car around but I have run it trough all the shifting points and got the temp up to ~230 for around 30 min on a few occasions and did not notice a large amount of fluid leaking when running is any. It seams to leek a little all the time and more when it has sit for a few days.

So what would be best to do? Go get seal replacements for the pan, shifters servo cover and ….. and just replace them all in one go and see if it helps? Its about time to drop the pan and clean it out anyway.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Before you just start replacing things clean up all the mess and look for the leak then proceed.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the advice I just jacked the car up and cleaned it up a bit and took some new photos. I think I have located the leek and I took photos for you guys to see for your self. These where taken just a few seconds after wiping down the location and you can see the transmission fluid starting to pool up on the bottom of the bolts.

If you guys need more photos feel free to ask I am happy for any help I can get.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Mine leaks at the same spot .... Not sure if it's the pan gasket or torque converter leaking.

Last edited by MyFirst90coupe; 03-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Well looks like ill be pulling the pan tomorrow and see if that helps, ill get it all cleaned out as after 5 sitting years and 120k miles it needs some love. If not ill update the forum and see what you guys think should be done next.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Dry it off, rinse it with carb cleaner, and look very carefully. A lot of times you will have a leak on the top (at least above the pan) and the fluid will run around the edge of the pan making you think its the pan gasket. Most of the time, it won't be the pan gasket. Your picture shows the area just under the filler/dip stick tube.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 AM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Well I am having a small issue getting in around the pan to see/clean how would I go about replacing or inspecting the other points?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Get a rag and wipe it down good. Then get a can of carb cleaner and spray the entire area within 2" of the pan and wipe dry. Get a good flashight and mirror and look closely all around anything that has a seal. With that much of a leak, you should be able to see it, though you might have to add a quart or so of fluid to replace what has already leaked out. Believe me, it's no fun to spend $50 or so in fluid and filter kit replacing the pan gasket and then find out it is still leaking. You might try tightening the bolts on the pan. Don't over tighten, they should be just slightly more than snug. I use a wrench with a short (4") handle. If tightening the bolts doesn't help, it's probably not the pan gasket.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Well ill head out right now and try to get that done, before I drive out and buy new parts. I think ill try cleaning around the tras and then sticking bunch of paper towels up into the side if the leek is there I would think they would get wet over time.

thanks for the help
Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I filled it with just under 8 quarts of fluid in the last 2 weeks and I know it holds around ~6.
That could be it. You can't put 5 lbs of excrement in a 3-pound bag!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Railroadman
That could be it. You can't put 5 lbs of excrement in a 3-pound bag!
Ah yes I would have explained better, I have had to put 8 in to keep it full meaning it has leaked over 2
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

well I started working on tightening up the pan bolts they where in fact way under tightened time will tell if this is the issue. I tightened them to manual specs. I all so put a large about of paper around the other seals to see if they may be the leak. Sadly I slipped when working on one of the bolts and smashed a finger so I may have to wait a little bit before doing any more work.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking transmission fluid and battery is draining if car is left sitting 94 vet

Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mynoot
well I started working on tightening up the pan bolts they where in fact way under tightened time will tell if this is the issue. I tightened them to manual specs. I all so put a large about of paper around the other seals to see if they may be the leak. Sadly I slipped when working on one of the bolts and smashed a finger so I may have to wait a little bit before doing any more work.
Well after a few hours you can see the leak is showing on the paper but only near the pan. The rest of the paper near the seals was dry. I pulled out the old paper and put in new to see if the result are the same. Sadly I only got to tighten up a few bolts before I smashed up my hand ill get under there again soon and do the rest and see if that fixes the issue.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe you will get lucky and the loose bolts will be the answer.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
mynoot
Heel & Toe

Ok well I have a disappointing outcome but expected the pan is not the leaks source its ether the cooling lines or the filler tube line. I am hopeful I can fix this issue without dropping the transmission. My next step was going to be to remove the exhaust covering the side of the transmission. Any ideas other then that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking transmission fluid and battery is draining if car is left sitting 94 vet