Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Viper ACR Street Manners

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Viper ACR Street Manners

I know there are some ACR owners on here so thought I'd ask. How is the ACR to drive on the street? I'm considering buying one, but I want something I can take on a few hundred mile road trip with the old lady. Will it knock your teeth out on freeway expansion joints? What about gorund clearance for going into driveways and such? I wouldn't daily drive it, but I would drive it regularly. I love my Z06, and its plenty fast, but the ACR has me thinking. Thanks for any input you have.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by dsevo
I know there are some ACR owners on here so thought I'd ask. How is the ACR to drive on the street? I'm considering buying one, but I want something I can take on a few hundred mile road trip with the old lady. Will it knock your teeth out on freeway expansion joints? What about gorund clearance for going into driveways and such? I wouldn't daily drive it, but I would drive it regularly. I love my Z06, and its plenty fast, but the ACR has me thinking. Thanks for any input you have.
Someday the Good LORD willing I will be stepping up to a 2008-10 ACR Viper also, and look forward to the response, although I think I know what the response will be. That being, its fine for what you want to do but don't expect the nanny controls/creature comforts of the vettes, which most ACR owners don't seem to even want or care about, and exepct a little tighter cockpit/racecar feel (less roomy) when driving a couple hours vs. the vette!

Looking forward to the ACR owners responses also and DO IT, get the VIPER ACR Bro, its by far the baddest azz American Sports Car made!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven a new 2008 coupe and it is a much better than my old 2002 GTS for daily driving but it is no where near a C6Z. I also own a C6Z and it does a really good impression of a normal car when need be. The Viper is a lot like a motorcycle in that it is of little use as transportation but LOTS of fun as just a toy. Some of this is just that there are places you can park a Vette and no one will notice, but the Viper will draw all kinds of attention. All that said if I had to sell my Vette or Viper, the chevy would be on auto trader first.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my ACR modified before I ever took delivery but I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. I swapped the KW v3 suspension for Moton Clubsports and that allowed me to run a "softer" spring rates. The ride is still stiffer than a ZR1 in "sport" mode but I wouldn't really call it harsh. Expansion joints are not a problem, but the Viper does like to follow grooves in the road so you have to always be alert.

I have my ACR lowered to a "rough track" setting and I haven't really have a problem with ground clearance... yet.

I have modified my exhaust so it is louder than stock, and it can be a bit tiresome on long trips. The stock exhaust should be quiet enough that it wont be a problem on long trips. I find the Viper's seat to be very comfortable and supportive. Overall, the Corvette is a better touring car... but the Viper is definitely bearable if you really like the car.

The number one reason I wouldn't use the ACR as a daily driver is because of all the attention it draws. If you're not in the mood to have people following you while taking cell phone video/pictures, tailgaters, people wanting to race, crowds around your car while parked, cops tailing you just looking for a reason to pull you over... leave the Viper in the garage.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 03-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You'll get different answers from owners but for me I am not driving it on a long trip....a few hundred miles.....maybe....but I wouldn't look forward to the drive.....as far as an everyday driver I'm lucky enough not to have to....

on the othe hand I have never owned a car like it.....it's amazing and scary all in one....it demands respect.....I track it and probably drive it at 75% of it's potential....and it's still scary.....for me it's a weekend car and I'll go get groceries in or run some errands...if you don't like attention, and I mean serious attention, it's not a good car for you....

To sum it up you can drive it every day but I think it may get old fast....
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Believe it or not, the ACR has MORE ground clearance than my GTS.
With the factory settings the ACR it is about 5".
My GTS is only 2-3/4" stock because of the design of the lip on the underside of the nose.
I have always lightly scrapped the GTS on my driveway unless I approach at a sharp angle, can go straight in with my ACR.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 PM
dsevo
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. The responses are pretty much exactly what I expected, and it sounds like the perfect toy/track car.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper ACR Street Manners

Quick Reply: Viper ACR Street Manners