Sponsored by:

VALVE SPRING FAILURE & FAILING TO FILE w/NHTSA

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default VALVE SPRING FAILURE & FAILING TO FILE w/NHTSA

Here we go again. A brand new thread posting extensive research on valve spring failure (over in the Z06 forum this time). If I had a dollar for every time it's discussed I would have enough $$$ saved up to get a new C7 next year. But this is not an attack on the OP there. It's on the source of this ongoing safety issue, GM. And it's not a hater issue directed at GM; just wanting GM to do the right thing. Fix some crappy issues that should have been resolved after nearly 60 years of R&D.

Guys, this is similar to the leaking gas tank issue in that both the valve spring failure and the leaking gas (on late 03 through 2004) (and early C6) have one thing in common. It's a defect that warrants the attention of the NHTSA. With concentrated effort made by the forum members via complaints filed with the NHSA, GM got the official notice that there is a safety problem with the C5 gas leak, and not just in Houston.

Said leak issue was rectified for some if not all owners that are aware of the recall, even though affected C5's were long out of warranty.

Now lets explore how the Valve Issue on C5 fits into all this.

I had saved an older newspaper article* which reported on Lexus division of Toyota Motors. The latest Toy problem involves engine valve springs apparently contaminated during the manufacturing process. The defect could lead to rough idling, engine noise or "in extremely rare instances, cause the engine to stop while the vehicle is in operation," Toyota's Lexus division said in a statement. NHTSA said it had not yet received "formal" notification that indicated a recall will result for them. Clarence Ditlow, Excec Director of the Center for Auto Safety in Wash DC says the problem almost certainly will result in a recall. "It's a clear-cut safety hazard, and there is precedent for recall from automakers that have had similar problems." Ditlow goes on to say "this company has put sales over safety and it wouldn't have happened 10 years ago when they were more safety-conscious."

So, do C5 owners have similar problems with a safety hazard when defective valve springs fail, causing the engine to seize on a highway while in operation?

What do you think? Does the squeaky wheel get the grease? Time to file with NHTSA? I think it's not only time but overtime as we did it w/the gas-leak issue, years after warranty expired.

Let's hear from you, especially if it has happened to you already.

* as reported in USA TODAY 2 Jul '10

Last edited by cor28vettes; 05-15-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Default CF campaign that met success abt a year ago

Fuel tank crossover leak* for reference: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2430894

Last edited by cor28vettes; 05-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/

Click FILE A COMPLAINT

Last edited by cor28vettes; 02-19-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: better and direct link with your safety in mind
Old 02-18-2011, 11:59 PM
rjs96gt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1576833019

Those were my original symptoms and ended up being two valve spring failures. 2002 Z06 with on 42k miles.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Not too late to file a complaint and seek reimbursement down the road
Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I filed my steering lock issue with the NHTSA and GM customer service called me to say it has been addressed with their recommended fix and I shouldn't expect or receive any further warrantee or defect repair assisstance. I told them I am a loyal GM customer; wife-Tahoe, father & son Vettes, youngest son has a Silverado...they said we appreciate your loyalty but one freebe per customer and the previous owner used yours
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 AM
rjs96gt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cor24vette
Not too late to file a complaint and seek reimbursement down the road
Absolutely will do. Thank you
Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Here we go again. A brand new thread posting extensive research on valve spring failure (over in the Z06 forum this time). If I had a dollar for every time it's discussed I could have enough $$$ to buy a new C7.

Guys, this is similar to the leaking gas tank issue in that both the valve spring failure and the leaking gas (on late 03 through 2004) (and early C6) have one thing in common. It's a defect that warrants the attention of the NHTSA. With concentrated effort made by the forum members via complaints filed with the NHSA, GM got the official notice that there is a safety problem with the C5 gas leak, and not just in Houston.

Said leak issue was rectified for some if not all owners that are aware of the recall, even though affected C5's were long out of warranty.

Now lets explore how the Valve Issue on C5 fits into all this.

I had saved an older newspaper article* which reported on Lexus division of Toyota Motors. The latest Toy problem involves engine valve springs apparently contaminated during the manufacturing process. The defect could lead to rough idling, engine noise or "in extremely rare instances, cause the engine to stop while the vehicle is in operation," Toyota's Lexus division said in a statement. NHTSA said it had not yet received "formal" notification that indicated a recall will result for them.

So far it's just Lexus right? Wrong! Clarence Ditlow, Excec Director of the Center for Auto Safety in Wash DC says the problem almost certainly will result in a recall. "It's a clear-cut safety hazard, and there is precedent for recall from automakers that have had similar problems."

So, do C5 owners have similar problems with a safety hazard when defective valve springs fail time and time again? Causing the engine to stop on a highway while in operation?

What do you think? Does the squeaky wheel get the grease? Time to file with NHTSA? I think it's not only time but overtime as we did it w/the gas-leak issue years after warranty expired.

Now let's hear from you to get your take on this, especially if it has happened to you already. You are on the front line of filing.

* as reported in USA TODAY 2 Jul '10
YES! There is most definitely a problem with valve spring failure and I have stood right in front of "I've been working on LS motors for 30 years and never heard of such a thing" wannabe GM certified techs. I personally am sick and tired of the issue being hidden and denied.

It is a very serious, viable and authentic issue. Bring it to light. Let's do whatever we can about it. Get GM to admit it. File with the NHTSA. Do whatever has to be done.

I've got all the broken valve springs and they never broke at high RPMs or because of mods, or rev limiters that had been "tinkered" with.

It is utterly disgusting and unacceptable. You need my help with documentation in any way, or you need my signatures for a petition, whatever. PM me. I am one of the guys on the Z forum that has had a history of valve spring failures. You can't just go into a "warrantied" motor and replace them with anything but the crap OEMs.

Let me know.

Last edited by tricep; 02-20-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Too much info, too angry. Hind sight always 20/20
Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

http://www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivog/

Click "Vehicle Owners/Safercar - National Highway traffic Safety..."

then, "File a Complaint"
Dead link, got another?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Default Good contact fom the past

Nathan Ong
Defects Assessment Investigations
NHTSA
202-366-5224
nathan.org.CTR@dot.gov

As before, the more who file complaints the harder the govt will look at this problem.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 02-20-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Safety issue on the hwy should be stressed
Old 02-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Hmmm... glad I recently upgraded to a blower cam with new accompanying hardware (new & stronger valve springs among other things).
Old 02-20-2011, 05:55 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Made the change to a direct link

See post #3

Thanks.

I would love to see some recourse here.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

So far I've not had any valve spring failures, but you can bet if I do I will file a complaint with NHTSA. Good luck to those that have experienced this problem.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Default The nature of the beast

I have not either for the record and it's a Z06. However, Z06 is most susceptible.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06ster
Hmmm... glad I recently upgraded to a blower cam with new accompanying hardware (new & stronger valve springs among other things).
Aren't you glad that worry is over? Did you go aftermarket HB while visiting?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Otto Mos
Instructor

Aren't you glad that worry is over? Did you go aftermarket HB while visiting?
I don't trust aftermarket over OEM. I'd be more wary of the aftermarket springs. There are many meanings to "stronger". Are they stronger in having higher ultimate strength or higher B10 life?

If they are just stronger in ultimate strength but unknown B10 life then I would say that's another timebomb.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Default Corvette Politics.

We all have to make the best informed decision. That's the beauty of this forum. A lot of viewpoints on any topic. Like having a meeting with thousands of friends and just a few stepping up to speak.

But you can bet GM will notice this thread sooner or later. The new GM has a facilitator in the C6 discussion that helps with current C6 issues like warranty complaints. Open secret. This is beyond his job description but they will be put on notice by him when he discovers.

We just need more owners to step-up & report their legitimate safety complaints to the NHTSA. Filing a complaint only takes a few minutes online.

Get notified of new replies

To VALVE SPRING FAILURE & FAILING TO FILE w/NHTSA

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry ,but I dont see them doing anything about this problem.I have seen reports of rough idle but no dying issues related to broken valve springs in the LS6/1. Should GM step up on their own? Probably,but dont count on it.

Last edited by rebelheart; 02-25-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Default PMA = Positive Mental Attitude

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Sorry ,but I dont see them doing anything about this problem.I have seen reports of rough idle but no dying issues related to broken valve springs in the LS6/1. Should GM step up on their own? Pprobably,but dont count on it.
Me count on GM to step up on their own? A company that went bankrupt? I can count on the NHTSA to do a defect investigation but only if they receive sufficient justification. That's been proven.

Let's just 'hope' that the new GM learns from past errors and not go back to their old ways. I don't think the new GM wants their brand name dug through the mud in the media again. Having said all that, they have demonstrated a remarkable recovery since bankruptcy on June 1, 2009 and I wish them all the best.

On the matter I highlighted in your post...
What abt the guy that posted "I bought a Z06 last year w/10K. Next day it dropped a valve & engine was done. Tell me, how you explain that to the wife?"

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2542414 to locate #8 post

Peace
Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

NHTSA does a lot of defect investigations. Most get closed and nothing done. EBCM/AH issues are more dangerous than valve springs, engines have been dieing on the road forever. Computers taking control of your brakes and causing you to swerve have not.

Quick Reply: VALVE SPRING FAILURE & FAILING TO FILE w/NHTSA