C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

Can non-run flat tires be used for C5?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Can non-run flat tires be used for C5?

Hi...

I'm pretty sure that my tires are still original after 114K kms, and still have some tread, but at some point they'll need to be replaced. I did a quick check at Green & Ross, and a set of 4 new Firestone Firehawk run flat tires costed out at $2,600 Can including tax.

I'm really hoping NOT to have to spend that kind of money when the time comes. Have other C5 owners found a less expensive alternative? What about using regular non-flat tires instead? I don't take the Vette that far from home, and if I did get a flat would have CAA Plus tow me back to where I can get the tire fixed/replaced.

Thanks as always in advance for everyone's help!

Robert
Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rfh928
Hi...

I'm pretty sure that my tires are still original after 114K kms, and still have some tread, but at some point they'll need to be replaced. I did a quick check at Green & Ross, and a set of 4 new Firestone Firehawk run flat tires costed out at $2,600 Can including tax.

I'm really hoping NOT to have to spend that kind of money when the time comes. Have other C5 owners found a less expensive alternative? What about using regular non-flat tires instead? I don't take the Vette that far from home, and if I did get a flat would have CAA Plus tow me back to where I can get the tire fixed/replaced.

Thanks as always in advance for everyone's help!

Robert
I guess you are not aware, but the C5 Z06 came with non-runflat tires......and an inflation kit.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

Runflats are pretty expensive but I guess provide some folks piece of mind. Even the newer Z06s come with runflats but that was not always the case.

Just a couple of years ago the Z06 came with Goodyear Supercar (F1 I think) tires which are non runflat. The Z06 at this time came with a tire repair kit.

I myself have not used runflats on my 1999 Coupe for ten years and Although I have a maybe two flats in that time, like you suggested, I used AAA to come fix the tire on the spot.

Just a note of caution though. All tires for the Corvette seem to be expensive and I would warn against getting a cheaper made (non Z) rated tire to save on cost. We have a lot riding on our tires in many ways.

Best of luck to you and your purchase whenever you make it.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Non-runflats work just fine on the C5 - they're quieter,and the ride will improve by 100%
My General UHP's were $525.00 delivered,plus $75.00 mounting and balancing,but you can spend a lot more if you want to.
Get a small 12v compressor,a flashlight, and a plug kit to stow in one of the rear compartments in case of emergency,and you should be all set.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks for the quick replies !!!

Wow, I continue to be impressed with the speed and helpfulness that you guys display, and I thank you very much for providing the information that you did.

That makes me feel a WHOLE LOT better, and I will definitely get a good set of Z rated tires when I need to replace them, but stay away from the run flat ones.

I keep a 12V compressor in the garage anyway, so will just move it to the back of the Vette - excellent suggestion.

Thanks again, and hope everyone has a great day!

Robert
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's a bad price, I got Michelin PS2's for around $1,900.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Default Prices higher here in Canada...

Hey Paul,

That's probably a factor of prices for most things being higher here in Canada. The $2,600 I mentioned included our 13% sales taxes as well...base quote was $2,300 + taxes.

Might be worth me driving the Vette 2 hours south across the border to Buffalo, and getting the tires swapped there

Thanks!

Robert
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My price had 6-1/2% tax in it. I printed out the Tire Rack prices and went around to the Michelin dealers and found one that would match that price. Then I took off 2 wheels at a time and took them in to be changed out. I didn't want the tire shop jacking up my car. That might have been overkill but I wanted to torque the lugs myself.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:57 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default my 2 cents

Had run flats on the 04 and just put new Michelin pilot sport a/s non run flats on. Got great advice from this forum. Thanks!

The non run flats seem to be more sticky to the road to me. My wife says they run smoother too. So, we are happy plus my Corvette friends say non run flats are better too.

I did buy a slime sealant "sensor safe" bottle, plug kit, pliers, slime 3min compressor, leak detector (bit of liquid soap in a spray bottle and tire valve tool/valve seats all from Walmart. I have rarely had flats so hoping I never need it, but on board if needed.

I bought my non run flats on the internet (just be sure and ask/check on the tire date so that they are not old ones), shipped to the house and paid my local tire shop to mount and spin balance, maybe for about $1000. Shop the internet and ebay for best prices and a high number positive feedbacks ebay vendor.

Good advice above on using a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts! I also took my tires off and put them back on after the tire shop trip myself!

Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by 20mercury; 02-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have sumitomo htr-z IIIs and they are awesome. I will never go back to runflats. I drive about 30k miles a year and am almost 27 and since I started driving at 16 I have had TWO flats ever. One was while in Indy and that was because I hit a peice of scrap steel in the road. Go with non runflats and never look back
Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I went with non run-flats and have never looked back. I have not had a blowout in almost 25 years, and with the TPS system, you should know about a slow leak.

Get a good kit and be sure you get some needle-nosed plyers as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
TNRAT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with BFG G-Force...ride better and handle much better...less than $900 for all 4...
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 122 Posts

Kumhos and a flat kit with pump here. Much better ride that run craps!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rfh928
Hi...

I'm pretty sure that my tires are still original after 114K

Robert
I doubt that you got 114k km out of the originals. They must've been changed at least once.

No problem going with non-runflats and it is actually recommended for better performance and a smoother and quieter ride. That's what I plan to get this spring. I can't wait to dump the runflats.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Dag Skagney
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my car it needed tires, Had non run flats on it - I went out and bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats - $1350 at Discount Tire - Had I known better I probably would have bought a good set of non run flats and used the extra money somewhere else
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
ShawnFate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my used one came with Hankook Ventus V12 evo tires.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just repalced my Stock Supercars with Continental ExtremeContact DW on my '04Z. They are quite, ride nice, handle great and hook up well. The DW is Dry and Wet rated so no snow. Ran 275 front (up from 265) and 295 in the rear (stock size). its a Weekend toy for me and i have AAA if i need help . $860 USD OTD from Discount Tire. After tires and Alignment the car drove MUCH better, it was a little out of wack and the OE setting has the front camber set so it drives on the inside of the tire (better handling at the track but wears the inside much faster).

S

Get notified of new replies

To Can non-run flat tires be used for C5?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcass
My General UHP's were $525.00 delivered,plus $75.00 mounting and balancing,but you can spend a lot more if you want to.
Get a small 12v compressor,a flashlight, and a plug kit to stow in one of the rear compartments in case of emergency,and you should be all set.
Awaiting for Spring to arrive and I'm going down the same road you took. My Brother In law works for a tire place and he quoted me a good price on the Generals !

Originally Posted by 20mercury
I did buy a slime sealant "sensor safe" bottle, plug kit, pliers, slime 3min compressor, leak detector (bit of liquid soap in a spray bottle and tire valve tool/valve seats all from Walmart.
I saw the same kit and was contemplating on buying it but....from what I have read, even the so called "Sensor Safe" sealent isn't good for the sensors?

Any thoughts on that ?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Sensor safe sealant?

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Awaiting for Spring to arrive and I'm going down the same road you took. My Brother In law works for a tire place and he quoted me a good price on the Generals !

I saw the same kit and was contemplating on buying it but....from what I have read, even the so called "Sensor Safe" sealent isn't good for the sensors?

Any thoughts on that ?

That may be correct and I have not had to use the sensor safe sealant so far, so no actual experience yet.

My logic is a new sensor from GMPartsDirect is $38 (for 01 and newer C5's, the sensors for 00 and earlier are $100+), so at $38 I figured I could afford to replace the sensor if I had to. I would be more concerned if I wiped out a $100+ sensor, but would probably still go with the non runflats anyway.

My plan (hope to never have to use!) is to:
*watch my tire pressure, do that anyway
*if tire is slow leaker, drive to service station or pressure up to get to service station with the on board compressor
*if tire is flat, try to find leak with water/soap mix and fix with plug kit
*if no luck, use slime sensor safe sealant
*Call tow truck!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury
That may be correct and I have not had to use the sensor safe sealant so far, so no actual experience yet.

My logic is a new sensor from GMPartsDirect is $38 (for 01 and newer C5's, the sensors for 00 and earlier are $100+), so at $38 I figured I could afford to replace the sensor if I had to. I would be more concerned if I wiped out a $100+ sensor, but would probably still go with the non runflats anyway.

My plan (hope to never have to use!) is to:
*watch my tire pressure, do that anyway
*if tire is slow leaker, drive to service station or pressure up to get to service station with the on board compressor
*if tire is flat, try to find leak with water/soap mix and fix with plug kit
*if no luck, use slime sensor safe sealant
*Call tow truck!
A very logical way of looking at it !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can non-run flat tires be used for C5?