Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Caddy-Vette Coupe

Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Caddy-Vette Coupe

After buying three new Vettes (a C4, C5, and C6) and driving them continuously since 1992, I recently traded the last one for a Caddy-Vette, CTS-V coupe. I will not significantly criticize Vettes, having been very happy with three of them for the last 18 years. But the two Vette disadvantages of tire noise at freeway cruise speed, and let’s face it, somewhat harsh ride even with my last Vette’s fantastic magnetic shocks, had started to wear on me. I didn’t like the CTS-V sedan’s styling, so I never considered it. It was too frumpy and plain after the Vettes. But the coupe, at least in my 63 year old opinion, is pretty darn close in sex appeal to the Vette. And for anyone else who may have similar thoughts, I’d encourage you to go drive a CTS-V coupe. Acceleration and braking are stronger than all but the ZR-1, and handling/cornering are so close to the Vette that it’s not worth talking about the difference. The huge advantages are that the noise is gone, and the ride is vastly better. The only minor thing I don’t like is the speedo/tach arrangement, which ought to be classic, side by side big dials, but instead is the standard CTS arrangement. Other than that, it’s fantastic. I know it’s probably not the ticket for most of the younger Vette owners. But if you’re a 60-ish geezer like me, and are tired of tire noise and ride harshness, do yourself a favor and go try one out. There’s enough Vette heritage built into them that you won’t be disappointed. They even are available with manual transmission, which of course is what I ordered. And my biggest surprise? I’ve actually had a lot more people walk up to me in parking lots and filling stations to talk about the car than I ever had with any of my Vettes. That last statement could be interpreted as superficial vanity, but it is intended to highlight the fact that the CTS-V is indeed a serious car, fully worthy of its Vette heritage.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Good looking car.As for the Vette,it's not a luxury car nor is it a world class car as far as interior stuff.However,it's good at what it does and if I were bothered by road noise,I'd drive my Caddy. I have a radio and a dual exhaust for those rides on the highway that negate road noise.I'm not 60,but I will be in a few years.Maybe when and if I get there,the Vette will be traded for one of these Caddy missiles,who knows! 556 HP ain't no joke,as they say on the block!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats on the Caddy they are very nice....Time to find a Caddy forum.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:33 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm not gonna tell you that you made a big mistake 'cause I think the CTS-V, (Sedan, Coupe or Sport Wagon), is an awesome car. You had your fair share of Vette's and thought is was time for a change, nothing wrong with that. You made a good choice.

I have a Sport Wagon with the 3.6, Performance package with FE3 suspension & 19" wheels. The ride, handling, performance is great, plus it has a whole lot of room and plenty of luxury appointments. I'm being honest when I say that there are plenty of days I opt to take the Caddy vs. the GS.

Congratulations and enjoy.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:57 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Congratulations on your Caddy purchase. It is a nice car and I have no disagreement with your perceptions of the Caddy versus the Vette. All I can say is it is NOT a Vette for many reasons. To me the Vette will always have its so called quirks but will also always be special, the one that others choose as a benchmark.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I guess it's all in what you're looking for. It sounds like you found what you were looking for. Congrats.

Me, at 68; I'll stick with my C6 Z06, with the Block-it mat I installed and Michelin tires, yo get rid of some of the road noise. But, that said, I still have my DD, a supercharged Mercedes 4 -door sedan, for when I want to haul my old friends around.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've owned 'Vettes since '74 and currently have a CTS as well (non-V). I can certainly understand your rationale for the V coupe, and unfortunately for 'Vette sales, you are not the only one thinking that way. No, it's not a 'Vette, but it definitely breaks some new ground that the current C6 is lacking. The C7 needs to come out soon, or this stealing of sales will continue. It doesn't help that we're all getting older (61 on Friday) and less tolerant of the compromises in quality, service, etc. we've all made over the years of 'Vette ownership. Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat with you. I followed the CTS Coupe since 2008 when it was still a prototype. I fell in love with it then, and when I laid my eyes on it in August of last year, I knew I had to have one.
But a few things needed to happen first, I had to sell my current driver, and very nice G35 Coupe, and did to my daughter.
Next, I had to pay off my 2008 Silverado...done.
Now, I'm waiting until March 1st when I will receive my next "GM Loyalty" voucher for $1500.00 towards the Caddie purchase.
I am ordering a regular model, albeit the RWD Premium version with a manual tranny.
I need the 4-8 week period for them to make the car, and leave me enough time to "Must take delivery from dealer stock".
Sadly, GM has not encouraged Cadillac to keep ANY manual 6 speed cars in their inventory unless it's the V version.
So be it...I'm very pleased to say that I'm keeping my Z06 and adding the CTS to my lil fleet.
Thought about the V, but gas mileage is more important than another 500+HP rocket.

18 MPG highway for the V (premium required)
27 MPG for the V6 (sips regular)

Over the course of ownership, that's a HUGE differance in $$$ for gas. The Infiniti needed premium too, and it gets old for a driver.

Congrats on your new car, and I'm very much looking forward to my own Thunder Gray CTS!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,095 Likes on 807 Posts

Congrats on your new purpose, changing tires to Non-Runflats helps with tire noise, but the new CTS-V is a very nice ride
Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have considered the CTS-V but am turned off by it's poor mileage because gasoline is headed to $5.00/gallon and I love the shear joy of driving daily year around. Having a base coupe with F55 magnetic adjustible suspension all I needed to do was instal the BLOCKIT soundproofing, a Vettebin and partition combo, extra carpeting in the cargo and passenger compartments, padded cloth headliners in the transparent roof, and Michelin A/S ZP tires all around and I now enjoy a touring car ride without objectionable road noise to interfere with the premium sound of the base radio or NPP exhaust when running the M6 transmission through it's gears. I have a ZR1 style splitter and side skirts, stealth driving lights and clear side markers, billet grill and mesh cove screens, etc., etc. plus have the same Crystal Red Metallic color so popular on the CTS-V, so I get plenty of stares, compliments and photos taken. But for sure I don't have the easier entrance and exit and the extra passanger space afforded by your CTS-V, and compliment you on choosing one very fine touring/sports car.

Last edited by laconiajack; 01-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Congratulations!
May I ask what color?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jessi Lang reviews the CTS-V coupe.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
After buying three new Vettes (a C4, C5, and C6) and driving them continuously since 1992, I recently traded the last one for a Caddy-Vette, CTS-V coupe. I will not significantly criticize Vettes, having been very happy with three of them for the last 18 years. But the two Vette disadvantages of tire noise at freeway cruise speed, and let’s face it, somewhat harsh ride even with my last Vette’s fantastic magnetic shocks, had started to wear on me. I didn’t like the CTS-V sedan’s styling, so I never considered it. It was too frumpy and plain after the Vettes. But the coupe, at least in my 63 year old opinion, is pretty darn close in sex appeal to the Vette. And for anyone else who may have similar thoughts, I’d encourage you to go drive a CTS-V coupe. Acceleration and braking are stronger than all but the ZR-1, and handling/cornering are so close to the Vette that it’s not worth talking about the difference. The huge advantages are that the noise is gone, and the ride is vastly better. The only minor thing I don’t like is the speedo/tach arrangement, which ought to be classic, side by side big dials, but instead is the standard CTS arrangement. Other than that, it’s fantastic. I know it’s probably not the ticket for most of the younger Vette owners. But if you’re a 60-ish geezer like me, and are tired of tire noise and ride harshness, do yourself a favor and go try one out. There’s enough Vette heritage built into them that you won’t be disappointed. They even are available with manual transmission, which of course is what I ordered. And my biggest surprise? I’ve actually had a lot more people walk up to me in parking lots and filling stations to talk about the car than I ever had with any of my Vettes. That last statement could be interpreted as superficial vanity, but it is intended to highlight the fact that the CTS-V is indeed a serious car, fully worthy of its Vette heritage.
Which CTS-V has a more comfortable ride especially on bumpy roads?
The V coupe or V sedan?
The CTS-V whether coupe or sedan is probably easier to get in and out of and to park with better visibility as you can see more all around the car.

Last edited by LS WON; 01-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
The CTS-V whether coupe or sedan is probably easier to get in and out of
and to park with better visibility as you can see more all around the car.
The CTS-V coupe with it's enormous B-pillars suffers from dangerous blind spots.

You have to be extra careful when changing lanes in that gas hog.
Cadillac should have included some kind of blind spot warning system with the CTS coupes.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I would own a CTS-V coupe...most definitely....would NOT consider the seda however....does not trip my trigger. They got it right with that coupe...saw one in dealership when i had my Z06 serviced couple weeks ago....it was not a 'V' but sweet none the less....I LIKED it....but, my 427 is with me for the long haul....maybe after I make my last payment on my Vette in 'several' years!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by coolcat
The CTS-V coupe with it's enormous B-pillars suffers from dangerous blind spots.

You have to be extra careful when changing lanes in that gas hog.
Cadillac should have included some kind of blind spot warning system with the CTS coupes.
It is NO BIG DEAL...the "B" pillars. They are just fine, set your mirrors properly.

Last edited by Racer; 01-25-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added video clip
Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
. Acceleration and braking are stronger than all but the ZR-1, and handling/cornering are so close to the Vette that it’s not worth talking about the difference.
So it accelerates/brakes better than the Z06? I came within a whisker of buying the sedan V last year & if what you say is true I'll have to take a look at the V Coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To Caddy-Vette Coupe

Old 01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

I test drove one but ultimately decided to buy a Corvette GS. I really love the sports car feel and styling of the Corvette better. Absolutely hated the whirring sound of the supercharger under full throttle. Corvette *felt* faster too. But also important in my decision to buy the Corvette are all the great Corvette clubs, shows, and forums.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, this thread reinforces my theory about the CTS-V stealing the Vette's mojo. I have viewed these cars and the Camaro as direct competition and this fortifies that impression. That is good for GM sales overall but not so good for Corvette sales. The C7 better be good...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Default Great choice!

My father in law has a CTS-V which is on it's second trip back to Linglenfelter for an upgrade (700hp). It might not have the suspension to carve a canyon road or Nubergering as fast as a Z or ZR1...but it's no slouch from the factory. And with the available upgrades from companies like Linglenfelter....it breathes a whole new life. The seats are much better then my Z and it is an awesome car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caddy-Vette Coupe