C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators, What to Buy??

Old 01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators, What to Buy??

I am looking for a fuel pressure regulator for a custom application. I am switching from TPI to a custom EFI setup and I want to run 55psi instead of the factory 44psi so it needs to be adjustable, but what things do I need for the Vette application ie inlet/outlet ports, return style, ect? Im thinking I need 1 inlet and 2 outlet (1 for return) correct? What are you guys with modified engines running?

Last edited by Kubs; 01-20-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

What kind of EFI are you going with?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

This:

An Accel single plane.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your fuel line routing.

Big questions:
1) Are you running front mount stock lines (which also need Metric o-ring adapters) or are you running new lines coming up across the firewall like Lt1s have?

2) Where are you mounting the regulator on the rail or elsewhere?

3) Preferred routing?

-----------

I have an Aeromotive unit and it has worked well. It is the A1000-6 which has 2 o-ringed 6 AN inlets and one 6 AN outlet (as well as a 1/8 NPT port for a schraeder or gauge).

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/

However, I ended up rail mounting mine and while it is working fine, it would have been easier had I used one of these compact regulators:
http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...efi-regulator/

Others seem to like the Kirban universal unit too.

As for routing, I went for overkill. I used the stock location front entry lines. So the fuel inlet line comes up on the front pass side of the engine, I split that and have lines running into the front of both rails. The back of the driver's side rail has the regulator mounted on the rail (1 inlet) and then back of the pass side fuel rail has AN line coming behind the dizzy cap and into the regulator (2nd inlet). This ensures that fuel hits both rails prior to the regulator. I've read a lot about it being better for eliminating fuel pulsing etc, I don't know about that, I'm sure it is just overkill but it does ensure that both banks of injectors have priority fuel feed. I then ran the return line out the bottom of the regulator back to the front return line.

HTH

--------------------
Edit: Part of the reason I stuck with a rail mount besides providing a mounting solution, is that space is at a premium for where to mount the regulator and some org's don't like you to mount on the firewall etc, so make sure you check SCCA, etc so you stay legal.

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 01-20-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

??? looks like an intake for a carb. With fuel rails? I guess that's why you raised the hood.

I run an aeromotive FPR, but it failed. The only reason I used the same brand again was because I diagnosed it as bad just before an event and couldn't get another brand in time.

This is only one data point and by no means difinitive, but I won't buy another. Obviously USA has had better experiences.

Is there a stock regulator from another vehicle that can provide the 55 psi you're looking for? That would be a cheaper option.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
Depends on your fuel line routing.

Big questions:
1) Are you running front mount stock lines (which also need Metric o-ring adapters) or are you running new lines coming up across the firewall like Lt1s have?
I want to use SS braided line with -AN fittings and route them up the firewall away from the headers.

2) Where are you mounting the regulator on the rail or elsewhere?
Im thinking on the rail would be best, but that depends on how it is supposed to be routed. (See post further down)

3) Preferred routing?

-----------

I have an Aeromotive unit and it has worked well. It is the A1000-6 which has 2 o-ringed 6 AN inlets and one 6 AN outlet (as well as a 1/8 NPT port for a schraeder or gauge).

http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...***-regulator/

However, I ended up rail mounting mine and while it is working fine, it would have been easier had I used one of these compact regulators:

Others seem to like the Kirban universal unit too.

As for routing, I went for overkill. I used the stock location front entry lines. So the fuel inlet line comes up on the front pass side of the engine, I split that and have lines running into the front of both rails. The back of the driver's side rail has the regulator mounted on the rail (1 inlet) and then back of the pass side fuel rail has AN line coming behind the dizzy cap and into the regulator (2nd inlet). This ensures that fuel hits both rails prior to the regulator. I've read a lot about it being better for eliminating fuel pulsing etc, I don't know about that, I'm sure it is just overkill but it does ensure that both banks of injectors have priority fuel feed. I then ran the return line out the bottom of the regulator back to the front return line.

HTH

--------------------
Edit: Part of the reason I stuck with a rail mount besides providing a mounting solution, is that space is at a premium for where to mount the regulator and some org's don't like you to mount on the firewall etc, so make sure you check SCCA, etc so you stay legal.
I was thinking of going with second one you posted, but Im not sure how it is supposed to be routed. I thought the regulator was supposed to be before the rails so all pressure going in would be regulated. You say you have your in between rails? How does that work? I guess once I know how I can use the regulator, that will determine where it can go.

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
??? looks like an intake for a carb. With fuel rails? I guess that's why you raised the hood.

I run an aeromotive FPR, but it failed. The only reason I used the same brand again was because I diagnosed it as bad just before an event and couldn't get another brand in time.

This is only one data point and by no means difinitive, but I won't buy another. Obviously USA has had better experiences.

Is there a stock regulator from another vehicle that can provide the 55 psi you're looking for? That would be a cheaper option.
Yes that is why I put the scoop on. I have an LS1 throttle body off a F-body I am going to use, and I am making an elbow to point backwards to take full advantage of the cowl I just put on.

Why did yours fail Jon? Was it a fluke thing? I dont know what other cars use a higher regulator, but it would be nice to be able to adjust it too.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
I thought the regulator was supposed to be before the rails so all pressure going in would be regulated. You say you have your in between rails? How does that work?
For a carb ; yes
With EFI , the reg is at end holding required pressure in the rails
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

it would have been easier had I used one of these compact regulators:

but Im not sure how it is supposed to be routed.
Just run new s/s braided lines up from the filter area over the back of bellhousing
Need these adapters to connect new -6AN line to metric O ring fittings on stock filter and return line coupling
Check sizes; return coupling may be 14mm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-648060/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-648070/

Last edited by vetteoz; 01-20-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

That setup right there will be the easiest and require the least amount of fittings, line, etc. And I think you have 16mm 3/8" feed and return on the 1990 which is ~ -6 AN. (And yes, a Koul tool is totally worth it!)

To clarify, my regulator is not between the rails but at the end but with a dual rail feed.

But again, if you are going up by the firewall (read the rulebook, I believe at least NHRA does not allow fuel lines/regulators to be mounted on the firewall. I don't know about SCCA/TCC/NCCC etc but I figured I wouldn't even mess with it) the way Vetteoz shows will be way easier as it will be rear entry to the pass rail.

I've been thinking more and more about a single plane after seeing this:
Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteoz

Just run new s/s braided lines up from the filter area over the back of bellhousing
Need these adapters to connect new -6AN line to metric O ring fittings on stock filter and return line coupling
Check sizes; return coupling may be 14mm
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-648060/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-648070/
Thanks! That helps. The last engine I installed one on was converting a TBI to carb so we did put it in line before. Makes sense that it should go after on EFI. I would like to run all stainless braided lines from the filter to the rails and back so I will need those adapters.

To clarify, my regulator is not between the rails but at the end but with a dual rail feed.
Sorry I guess I misread.

But again, if you are going up by the firewall (read the rulebook, I believe at least NHRA does not allow fuel lines/regulators to be mounted on the firewall. I don't know about SCCA/TCC/NCCC etc but I figured I wouldn't even mess with it) the way Vetteoz shows will be way easier as it will be rear entry to the pass rail.
I dont think I will put it right on the firewall, I just dont want it running close to the headers and hot block like the stock lines do.

I've been thinking more and more about a single plane after seeing this:
Whoa!!! I like the look of that! nice smooth/lightweight plastic! Is that from the AFR website? How much? I may still have to go with the Accel because I am trying to keep this cheap and anything AFR is $$
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFR-4801/

It looks like the AFR one is carb only. The bosses are for Nitrous not injectors.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. $$$ I think list is $599 or something. So $$$ x 2 but you drop an extra 10lbs off the nose of the car and heat soak is gone.

However those are nitrous bosses, though I think they would work with injectors (?) then you would need to figure out a bracket system for the fuel rail (probably off of the carb pad) not easy but hey, you gotta dream right?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. $$$ I think list is $599 or something. So $$$ x 2 but you drop an extra 10lbs off the nose of the car and heat soak is gone.

However those are nitrous bosses, though I think they would work with injectors (?) then you would need to figure out a bracket system for the fuel rail (probably off of the carb pad) not easy but hey, you gotta dream right?
It would be cool to do, but I think it would end up costing way more than I want to spend right now. Maybe down the road if I get board.

Another question I forgot to ask is, how many inlets and outlets should the regulator have? If I set it up like the one pictured, it would need one inlet, and one outlet for the return correct? The inlet would go to the fuel rail at the end, and the outlet would be the return line.. If I do USA's way I would need 2 inlets and 1 return?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Yeah for sure, sorry to take it off topic. I just stumbled upon it and was blown away. I think they also have a dual plane setup which can be swapped on, so hopefully, they'll eventually release an EFI top to put on.

Back to the important stuff...

Yeah, if that is VetteOz's it looks like he might actually be using dual inlets and a single return, that or he hasn't put an o-ring'd plug on the backside port in that photo yet. But yes, you got mine right.

Also, I don't know if this is for sure ok or not, but I made my o-ring fittings by picking up a set of -6 AN viton o-rings and just using normal fittings. On my regulator/rails there was no bottom for the flattened nose of an o-ring fitting to bottom out on and I had spare -6 / - 6 (or 3/8 NPT/ -6) fittings so I set it up just to try. Holding up to 58psi and saves a couple of bucks too.

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 01-21-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteoz

What are the 90* fuel rail fittings on here? Do all rails have the same threads? Are those NPT or -AN?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Are those NPT or -AN?
Varies by brand
Edlebrock rails are NPT; the ones on my HSR are -AN

Yeah, if that is VetteOz's it looks like he might actually be using dual inlets and a single return, that or he hasn't put an o-ring'd plug on the backside port in that photo yet.
Feed for carb ( capped with EFI )
By changing the spring in the #13301 reg I have carb line pressure so with a dist swap ,I can run a Holley for comparative tuning

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators, What to Buy??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators, What to Buy??