Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default 4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy?

With all the 4-post lift threads going on, I was curious if anyone could guide me on the choice between the Bend Pak or the Back Yard Buddy.

Although I am at least 1 year away from purchasing one, a friend of mine is looking at purchasing one in the next few months and asked me if I had any recommendations. He mentioned Bend Pak and Back Yard Buddy as two lifts he's seriously considering.

I performed a search and read a few threads on these lifts, however has anyone used both of them and can anyone provide a recommendation based on actual use/peformance vs. sales fluff (which I know Back Yard Buddy is known for). Also, reasons as to why you chose one over the other, etc.

If there is another brand that is more highly recommended, please advise.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dad has had back yard buddy for about 10 years, and used it a lot, never had any problems at all. Always worked very well. Recommended. Me and him built it in the garage ourselves.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

When I first started thinking about getting my first home shop lift about 12 years ago, BACKYARD BUDDY was one of about a half dozen that I considered (ROTARY, BEND PAK, EAGLE EQUIPMENT, MOHAWK, BEN PEARSON, DIRECT LIFT, BACKYARD BUDDY).

I didn't know anyone who had a BACKYARD BUDDY, but they advertised heavily in car magazines. And we all know that the biggest advertisers have the best products.

A good indicator of a quality lift is which ones are most commonly seen in commercial automotive shops. What I regularly saw was MOHAWK, BEN PEARSON and BEND PAK.

Two things caused me to not chose BACKYARD BUDDY:
#1 was their (only) obnoxious, high pressure salesman. While owners of their lifts report to really like the product and I have no reason to doubt the quality, that salesman was an ego maniac. He had absolutely nothing nice to say about any other companies products. Of all the other companies representatives I spoke to, he was the only one who badmouthed everyone elses lifts. He probably sold import cars or life insurance before lifts.
#2 (and perhaps only important to me) was when I asked about their ALI/ETL independent certification. Basically, this is a voluntary industry testing of automotive lifts. The test involves testing of advertised lift capacities vs actual lift capabilities. In other words, it's independent of what a salesman tells the consumer about the product. The lift companies will send a consumer copies of the test results.

Every other lift manufacturer I contacted suggested that whichever lift I chose (no pressure), make sure that it's certified. A gold colored certification sticker is applied to the product.

Only the BACKYARD BUDDY salesman told me the certification is a load of bunk. He told me his product was so great that the company didn't feel the need to waste the time and expense to have their lifts certified. He said that since his lifts were made in the USA, that was sufficient. Ok...

I eventually decided upon a commercial grade two post for my first lift.

I think you or your friend would be very happy with a variant of the BEND PAK HD9 four post lift. I'm very pleased with mine. Not only is it certified, but the redundant safety features are a plus. I don't think there's any other lift company which has it.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend spending some time on GarageJournal.com, you will find some good information and ideas there.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Backyard Buddy for me,,,,about 8 or so years now!! Everything from subcompacts to F150 super crew!! VERY solid stance weather up or down. Safety catch are slots cut into the solid 4X4 tube posts. Drive on treads are HEAVY duty and on and on!!! The jack tray id VERY beefy!! When I'm under a car I want is SOLID!!! I've seen other that have way too much wiggle and motion for my comfort!! Every where you look,,,there are well thought out little safety touches!! There are cheaper non USA lifts,,,,but I am fully satisfied with my made in the mid west American SOLID lift!! It will out last me and then some!! Hope one of the boys gets and uses it too!! They are over enough the way it is now!!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,667 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by itzza427
Backyard Buddy for me,,,,about 8 or so years now!! Everything from subcompacts to F150 super crew!! VERY solid stance weather up or down. Safety catch are slots cut into the solid 4X4 tube posts. Drive on treads are HEAVY duty and on and on!!! The jack tray id VERY beefy!! When I'm under a car I want is SOLID!!! I've seen other that have way too much wiggle and motion for my comfort!! Every where you look,,,there are well thought out little safety touches!! There are cheaper non USA lifts,,,,but I am fully satisfied with my made in the mid west American SOLID lift!! It will out last me and then some!! Hope one of the boys gets and uses it too!! They are over enough the way it is now!!
Their product demo looks impressive in comparing how their product is superior to their competition, however I don't understand why they just don't get the safety certification and be done with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Back Yard Buddy is at least 20 years old...so old that they did not even offer a 110V power unit (had to use a battery) at the time...

Converted it to use a 110 V power unit about 5 years after I purchased it...

Anyway I also own a Gemeni 4 post lift (Ok I got cheap and went with it because of the price...it uses 3 sided posts and slides inside the post whereas the BYB uses 4 sided posts and slides outside the posts...

I've owned the Gemeni for close to 10 years never had a problem with either BUT I still kick myself for not buying a second BYD...much better design ....

I purchased both at Carlisle and to be honest the salesman were not pushy at all... IF either was then I would have walked...

Bob G
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Dannmar for me.

I did a fair amount of research before I bought.

The Bend Pac is too expensive IMO
Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
wfdlt8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=Vega$Vette;1576443878]Dannmar for me.

I did a fair amount of research before I bought.

I have the Danmar also. Works great and price was reasonable.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

This may help you.
http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...FYHb4AodZ0K1ng
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chucks
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM
02HREBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love my BendPak HD9-W.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue
Love my BendPak HD9-W.

Get notified of new replies

To 4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy?