C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone already researched best bang for the buck aftermarket 5 speed???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Has anyone already researched best bang for the buck aftermarket 5 speed???

Sorry to have to ask this questions but I don't have time to search lots of previous posts. I am finally ready to consider purchasing an aftermarket 5 or 6 speed. I'm tired of the 4 speed when cruising... running at 3,000+ rpm. My engine is currently around 260 hp at the rear wheels. I'm thinking of rebuilding it as a 383 with fuel injection but nothing crazy, so I don't need a high hp/torque transmission. Just want something reliable, easy to install without a lot of fabrication and won't break the bank. I think I recall Keisler having a T45 or something like that at around $1,400??? I believe it is suppose to be a near drop in install. Just want to get others thoughts who may have researched this.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Buddy1980
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 or 6 speed trans

I also try to get the best bang for the buck on Vette parts. I know other forum members have had various aftermarket trans that will work ok, but I have had 2 Richmond 6 speeds that basically bolt in with no mods except for the trans. bracket. I have even found that the stock trans bracket does not even have to be used. Just use a piece of 2" by 1/4" angle to make a new bracket. It can be fabricated very easily and bolted or welded to the original crassmember. Also, the stock shifter hole lines up perfectly, no mods needed on the trans tunnel, and the stock driveshaft fits also. I have had great service with my Richmonds, and the Long shifter that they supply works fantastic. Just pick the gear ratios you want and you will love it. My 80 with a built 383 has a 2.77 first gear and a .62 6th gear running to a 4.10 rear axle ratio. This gives me a final drive in 6th gear of 2.54 which is great for the highway and fuel economy. If you ever come to the Charlotte area, get in touch and you can look at my car if you want to see one. Thanks and good luck.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

If you're going to buy a 5 speed, look at the gear ratios. Richmond 5 speeds have typically very low first gears (lower than stock) and 1:1 ratios in 5th gear. If you have a 3.73:1 differential, a Richmond 5 speed will do absolutely nothing for you. The transmission and rear end gear ratio will make first gear useless. If you have a 3.08:1 differential, the Richmond will work like magic. If you have a 3.73:1 differential, then you have to buy a Tremac. In 5th gear, its ratio is something like 0.7 or 0.8 (check the specifics for the tranny).
Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
If you're going to buy a 5 speed, look at the gear ratios. Richmond 5 speeds have typically very low first gears (lower than stock) and 1:1 ratios in 5th gear. If you have a 3.73:1 differential, a Richmond 5 speed will do absolutely nothing for you. The transmission and rear end gear ratio will make first gear useless. If you have a 3.08:1 differential, the Richmond will work like magic. If you have a 3.73:1 differential, then you have to buy a Tremac. In 5th gear, its ratio is something like 0.7 or 0.8 (check the specifics for the tranny).
I guess I should have mentioned that I think I have a 3:55 rear.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Check out Richmonds website. They make a 5 speed 1:1 5th, and a 5 speed with 5th gear OD. I've got a Richmond 6 speed. It is a bolt on, but the big advantage is you have your choice of 1st and 6th gears so you can tailor it to work with your engine and rear end gear ratio.
The T45 looks like a good deal for the basic trans but if you upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft, add the offset shifter, new driveshaft, etc it starts to add up.
Last week Summit had a 15% discout code and free shipping. That would put the Richmond 6 speed at your door for $2700.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Not to take away from any of the mentioned kits or transmissions, they are all quality, and nothing beats dropping it in without any mods, but for the $$$ I went with a WC T-5. Its not a direct bolt in, but its nothing major either, thats for sure. Best bang for the buck ? Hows about 300 soup to nuts, including the driveshaft work. Mods were the shifter location, rear mount, cut driveshaft, exhaust mount, and a little extra clearence for the yoke. Everything is solid, and after the console goes in it looks 100% correct. After seing all the work that you did to your car, this swap would be cake. Nope... its deff not the best trans out there, thats for sure, but for the $$$ ya cant go wrong. It seems to work for me ! Good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by John 65
Not to take away from any of the mentioned kits or transmissions, they are all quality, and nothing beats dropping it in without any mods, but for the $$$ I went with a WC T-5. Its not a direct bolt in, but its nothing major either, thats for sure. Best bang for the buck ? Hows about 300 soup to nuts, including the driveshaft work. Mods were the shifter location, rear mount, cut driveshaft, exhaust mount, and a little extra clearence for the yoke. Everything is solid, and after the console goes in it looks 100% correct. After seing all the work that you did to your car, this swap would be cake. Nope... its deff not the best trans out there, thats for sure, but for the $$$ ya cant go wrong. It seems to work for me ! Good luck.
Good post, I have been looking into this option as well. Which T-5 did you use (pre '91?). What ratio's and rear end are you running?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gdh
Good post, I have been looking into this option as well. Which T-5 did you use (pre '91?). What ratio's and rear end are you running?
I believe mine is from a late 88-89 Camaro with the v8. 0.63 is 5th gear. My diff is 3:70, car goes into a "high idle" on the highway.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John 65, can you elaborate more on your install? This would be perfect for a stock L81 or L82. These are low hp motors anyway. How much do you think the T5 can handle? 300Hp??? I have heard of your swap but have not seen any photos, do you have any? I would like to keep the mechanical linkage to the clutch also, is this possible? Thank for the info Al
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 PM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Richmond 5 speed is a good drop in trans, you may want to drop the rear gear some for the 1:1 5th or run a taller tire though. The t-5 has been done by a few on here and has a good aftermarket support, and is (I think)the lightest overdrive trans you can install. Astroperformance and Gforce have gear kits, cases, mid plates, mainshafts etc....
Old 01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

No problem, I would be happy to post some pics. I really dont know what they can handle, again, obviously not as much as todays modern drop in conversions, but a fellow on the forum named Norvill had one in a blown motor of his and I believe it held up just fine. I dont abuse mine, but I dont baby it either it. The t5 sits on a tilt in the camaros and firebirds if you use that t5 bellhousing. I didnt know how that would work in the vette, so I used my old stock bell so that the trans sits level. Thats why the rear mount and exhaust bracket mount have to be made to fit, cause with the trans level, those 2 mtng points are now tilted. For all I know maybe the tilt would have been eaisier, as that would have made those 2 points level. So we took those 2 stock mounts and altered them. You can see in the pic that the front of the rear mount was cut off, then a peice of steel welded to the front of it, then the cut peice was welded back on at the proper tilt. Before the old trans was removed we measured from the top of the cross member to the bottom of the trans, we put it back at that same height so nothing was changed, and theres no vibrations. Bolt the altered rear mount into position, (with the t5 at the same height as the old one) put that cut peice up against that new front plate and mark it. You can even reuse your rubber isolator if its in good shape. For the shifter I used a stock t5 mustang shifter, cause it comes up straight. My trans actually came with a real nice hurst shifter, 1000 times better than the stock mustang shifter, but where the handle bolts to it was tilted for the camaro. Looking back, we should have altered it and made it work. We put the console back in as a guide and an arm was welded into position on the ford shifter so that it would end up in the correct location. You can get creative with mounting the pipes for the exhaust, but the cheapest way and strongest way I think was cut the 2 curved peices off of the original peice and attach them to a curved peice at the propper tilt to go thru the holes in the crossmember. Some guys mount them to hangers on each side of the cross member, but I think its best to keep them attached to the trans, so that the motor , trans and pipes all move as one, like it was before. Also the yoke being a little further back now wants to kiss the right side of the fiberglass, no biggie, gave it a little wiggle room and reglassed it. I forgot to mention before that spines on the shaft was different, so I picked up a clutch kit to match. Remeasure and cut the driveshaft and yer good to go. Clutch linkage was the same, speedo cable screwes right on, and I bought a stock t-5 15.00 back up light harness that I spliced into the exsisting vette wires. Sorry for the long post. Hope these pics help.

Heres the new rear mount.

shifter

exhaust bracket, a couple of clamps on the side of the crossmember may work also, but this is pretty solid.

A little more clearance for the yoke.

Last edited by John 65; 01-02-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Also forgot to mention, the flange on the top of the mustang shifter is a little to long, just trim off and redrill the 2 front holes.

Last edited by John 65; 01-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:29 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

So you used a T5 from an 80 camaro V8 and a shifter from a Mustang 5.0. Utilized the origial bell housing, but a different clutch, due to splines. Cut and remount the driveshaft is no big deal. If you have any additional info it would be much appreciated. thanks Al
Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Al, Came out of 88 or 89 camaro, dont remember. I guess you didnt see the pics, I was editing them as your post came in, but they pretty much cover it. I picked up some 1/8 steel and some 1/4 inch steel from ace hardware, cut and drilled all the peices with a hacksaw in my vise, clamped them togther and brought them to my buddy who knows how to weld. The shifter was pretty much trial and error. No expert here, but if i can help I will try. If I cant, ask Mike, he is " Mysixtynine" here on the forum, he welded this all up for me, a huge help.

Last edited by John 65; 01-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

I have been doing some investigating, Two different types of T5's Non world class and world class. The later being stronger. I have also found out the transmission in my Wifes 95 Mustang Cobra is also a T5. This Mustang is so much faster the a Stock C3. I have also found my sites where people are swapping T5's into anything from Chevelles, Camaro's, El Caminos, C2's and of course C3's. I will be calling yards tomorrow. Al
Old 01-02-2011, 03:59 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Try the local craigs lists also.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

I ordered a T5 World class today. Out of a 91 Camaro 5.0. This appears to have a .063 OD. Quoted at 51,000 miles. Hopefully this is correct. When unit comes in I will catch some photos and post. I found out the Super T10 has a torque rating of 375 ft lbs and the World class T5 has a torque rating of 325 ft lbs. For the cost, I believe this tranny will hold up great for a standard C3 even lightly modified.
Al

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone already researched best bang for the buck aftermarket 5 speed???

Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

I think you will be happy with it. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did the T- swap in my '69 with Norval and BerniesVette's help about 3-4 years ago... Best mod I have ever done!
I however used a '92 Ford T-5 which are more affordable due to the fact that there are a ton of them out there.
I run mine pretty hard, from time to time,(approx. 400 hp and 375 tq) and have never had a problem.
The only thing that a T-5 will not hold up to is repeated power shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
After I sold my original 4 speed and associated parts, I spent approx. $500.00 net on the entire swap.
Great "Bang for the Buck" if you ask me!
If anyone would like a paper describing the swap, let me know!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Hey Sly if ya dont mind I would love that paper in case I do a ford down the road. Yer right, theres tons of ford t-5's out there compared to gm. Thank you. email is : jlaico@verizon.net

Quick Reply: Has anyone already researched best bang for the buck aftermarket 5 speed???