C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Variable Valve Or Cam Timing

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Variable Valve Or Cam Timing

Some of the new Ford engines, Porsche Panamera and others are not only either using or not using superchargers but they are incorporating variable valve or cam timing/opening height into single and double overhead cam engines to have more efficient engines. I went right to the ZR1 2011 website and couldn't find anything but supercharger and dry sump oil systems. Is this something that others are getting ahead of us on or is this something that GM just isn't marketing well but is already doing? It looks pretty complex but today's control sensors and precision must make it work. The Porsche Panamera four door sedan in V8 model can hit 196 mph and seats four.....'Does anyone know if this is in Corvette or coming or if it's not something a Corvette needs?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

VVT is on many modern engines including Vettes for a number of years. Not sure when GM started but my wife's 2003 Saturn has it.

Very cool technology and not all that complicated.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The 90 ZR1 had variable timing; it used 2 cams per bank. The other cam came on at a certain RPM as I recall enabling high rpm/hp. There was a valet switch that disabled the 2nd cam. Hondas have had variable cam timing for many years. it's pretty commonn technology nowadays...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
VVT is on many modern engines including Vettes for a number of years. Not sure when GM started but my wife's 2003 Saturn has it.

Very cool technology and not all that complicated.
I dont think any vettes had VVT besides the LT5... I think only some SUV's got them, along with the new camaro with the L99 (VVT version of the LS3)

Does the corvette need it? Probably not. The Z06 already gets close to 30 MPG with 505 HP and no VVT.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Our 6.2 Denali has it.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was my impression, that essentially the C6's had not tapped into vvt at all, favoring a more muscular though less efficient approach with superchargers and more multispeed trannies. I wonder if there is a C7 being developed what it's power plant will be like with the current forecast of gas prices in the $5.30 a gallon range over the next four years. It's $3.30 a gallon for premium here already. All those Chinese nationals buying cars and using gasoline!

Get notified of new replies

To Variable Valve Or Cam Timing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Variable Valve Or Cam Timing