C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the C6 generation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Default Do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the C6 generation?

I personally like the base coupe and covertible look better than the grand sport coupe and vert except for the front end and nose of the grand sport which I like better. My question is with lower production #'s for the base coupe and vert compared to higher press and production #'s for the grand sport model do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the production life of the C6??
Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Yes, I'm sure they will. There will still be lots of folks who don't want to spend that extra money.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimTN
Yes, I'm sure they will. There will still be lots of folks who don't want to spend that extra money.
Hey jim why the camaro over the CORVETTE?
Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I personally like the base coupe and covertible look better than the grand sport coupe and vert except for the front end and nose of the grand sport which I like better. My question is with lower production #'s for the base coupe and vert compared to higher press and production #'s for the grand sport model do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the production life of the C6??
No Doubt.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Not everyone likes the look of the widebody. I personally do but not everyone will. Base Vette is cheaper to maintain (tires/brakes) and is more efficient. Not a real big concern for me but if someone is looking for a Vette to cruise in then the base is a better deal.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:02 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I would say yes, and hopefully the C7 will not be too far off.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

i would personally take the "base" corvette over the widebody GS, but that's just me. for the price difference, i'd rather upgrade the trim to the 4LT, and throw in a nav.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:16 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some guys like to mary skinny women, some guys like to marry fat women........

yes.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the orginal c6 coupe and convertible are not offered there would be lots of people that would not buy one at all including me.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:22 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
i would personally take the "base" corvette over the widebody GS, but that's just me. for the price difference, i'd rather upgrade the trim to the 4LT, and throw in a nav.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey jim why the camaro over the CORVETTE?
I was beginning to have more and more minor problems with the C6. Lately the engine was sporadically making louder noise than usual, sometimes even while idling.

My Chevy dealer replaced the car battery for me 4 or 5 months ago when the fobs started being intermittent to unlock the hatch and unlock the door. Those symptoms had started again, even though it was a DD and I put about 9K miles a year on it. The fob batteries had already been replaced and the fobs checked by the dealer.

With no garage, my cars sit under a carport. Once the temperature gets below about 27° or 28°, the windows freeze up. I have to use a credit card all around the edge of the window before I can open the door. I don't have much choice about when I drive it, since I have to take my mother's weekend caregiver 75 miles to my sister's house where my mother lives.

I had the C6 in the shop to check on the engine noise and while they were looking at it, I saw the new Camaro sitting on the lot. We discovered that my wife could get in and out of the Camaro (knee replacement several years ago), but would never get in the Vette because she was afraid she couldn't get out of it.

Hopefully, I'll get back in another Vette in a couple of years.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

I was beginning to have more and more minor problems with the C6. Lately the engine was sporadically making louder noise than usual, sometimes even while idling.

My Chevy dealer replaced the car battery for me 4 or 5 months ago when the fobs started being intermittent to unlock the hatch and unlock the door. Those symptoms had started again, even though it was a DD and I put about 9K miles a year on it. The fob batteries had already been replaced and the fobs checked by the dealer.

With no garage, my cars sit under a carport. Once the temperature gets below about 27° or 28°, the windows freeze up. I have to use a credit card all around the edge of the window before I can open the door. I don't have much choice about when I drive it, since I have to take my mother's weekend caregiver 75 miles to my sister's house where my mother lives.

I had the C6 in the shop to check on the engine noise and while they were looking at it, I saw the new Camaro sitting on the lot. We discovered that my wife could get in and out of the Camaro (knee replacement several years ago), but would never get in the Vette because she was afraid she couldn't get out of it.

Hopefully, I'll get back in another Vette in a couple of years.
Jim enjoy your new camaro a very nice car AFTER a vette but you have to do the right thing for the WIFE GOOD choice. I did remember your C6 avator picture MONTEREY RED coupe thats why I got confused. Again good luck with the camaro and may you some day be able to have both!

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 12-25-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim enjoy your new camaro a very nice car AFTER a vette but you have to do the right thing for the WIFE GOOD choice. I did remember your C6 avator picture MONTEREY RED coupe thats why I got confused. Again good luck with the camaro and may you some day be able to have both!
Thanks. I've had a C2, a C4, and 3 C6s. I don't plan to wait for a C8.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
some guys like to mary skinny women, some guys like to marry fat women........

yes.

So... there really ARE good reasons to lease.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
some guys like to marry skinny women, some guys like to marry fat women........
...and some guys just like big butts! this would explain all the wide booty C6's - must be a Freudian thing -
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine will last forever as most automobiles will with proper care.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Sure, there's a lot to like if your GM, the platforms are basically paid for, they will provide the lowest entry level price keeping in mind that car's like the GT500 Mustang are going to be approaching the base price of a "narrow body" C6. Consider the delima a buyer will have if he has to choose between a $48K Mustang GT500 and a Corvette C6 with better overall performance. I'd bet a fully dressed Boss 302 will reach low to mid $40K's and that's before the imfamous ADMU get's added to the Mustang or deep discounts offered by GM on the C6.

And the fact that some buyers actually perfer the look of the NB C6 or have plans to mod it to something very personal.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the C6 generation?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:25 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the main reasons the G/S is currently outselling the standard coupe/convertible are (1) most people who wanted a standard model Vette have already bought one, (2) for those who longed for the appearance of a Z06 but couldn't afford one, or who couldn't handle the standard transmission with which they were equipped, the G/S provided a lower cost alternative, especially for the novice driver. I personally like the cleaner lines and more streamlined shape of the "original" C6 better than the ones modified to accommodate extreme width tires that are more suitable for track than street use, and which are as functional as 95% of jacked-up 4 wheel drive pick-ups with knobby tires that never leave paved roads. I believe the C7, if it comes to fruition, will have a more streamlined shape and narrower body along with narrower tires and wheels than the current "original" C6, which will make the current extra-wide bodied street Vettes look even more absurd.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:35 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Yes, and I'll bet your vert and my coupe will last for many, many years to come.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Yes both the standard vert and coupe will live on, the real question is will the Z06 live on look at their sales numbers and the GS has really decimated the Z06 sales. Even the 2011 model year with the Z06 Carbon and the ability to add the ZR1 brakes the sales are still terrible.

Quick Reply: Do you think the base vert and coupe will last for the rest of the C6 generation?