C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default AC compressor bracket question

Hi, everybody!

I bought the full exhaust system with the shorty headers from Corvette central for a little over $600 bux, and I have to say I'm real happy with it, however.........

They told me I would need this bracket in order to properly mount the ac compressor with the new headers. So I bout one. Here is a picture of it.

http://shop.corvettecentral.com/Corv...-p6162212.html

Now for my problem. What am I supposed to do with it? It didn't come with ANY instructions, and several of my friends and I have been scratching our heads over how it's supposed to work. Please help me out here, and joke answers are welcome, so bring 'em on!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

What year is your car? A6 compressor or R4 ?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Fill out your profile and tell us what year car you are working on and if its an A6 or smaller A4 compressor. For an A6 you just grind your existing bracket to clear the headers.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Sorry! I forgot to tell you all that I have a 1980 corvette, and I don't know what a4 or a6 means, but it's the stock ac compressor that it came with. And the thing is, it looks like we need to put some sort of spacer on one of the bolts holding the ac compressor mount to the head, to make up for the missing thickness of the cast iron exhaust manifold, but this thing isn't gonna do it. I am starting to think i got hoodwinked!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that looks a little strange.

I made my own "New" bracket by getting some 1/4" galvanized pipe and cutting pieces of it as spacers to make up for the missing cast iron then using the same bracket. I don't remember the dimensions but it wasn't hard to figure out. The front spacer was a little different length than the rear. I had to grind a tiny but off the existing mount too but not much. Kind of depends on the header design.

PS The A6 compressor is long about twice the length of the A4. Mine is the A6.

Last edited by TopGunn; 12-22-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Mine must be the a4, then.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
la80vette
Advanced

I believe you have the A4. Their is a support bar from the top of the AC bracket, and the other end connects to the intake near the choke.

Stephen
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Yep, I believe so. Which brings up another potential challenge. If I go with vortec heads and manifold, what will I attach that strut to? Will it be just fine without it? When I bought the car it was missing, and I replaced it, but it didn't seem to do any harm to not have it.

Now, then, the question remains: what is that little dohickey supposed to do for me? Nothing, as far as I can see.

Scott
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
la80vette
Advanced

I don't know what that dohickey does but I think the compressor needs that support. It's a good bit of weight and the bar keeps it stable from vibration. If I remember correctly, the intake bolt that it attaches to is actually a stud bolt then the support bar, lockwasher then nut. you may be able to fabricate something more attractive and fastened in a different position.

Stephen
Old 12-22-2010, 02:43 PM
chvet73
Pro

I had that bracket on my '73. Bolts between two header bolts. the arm almost lines up with the back of the long style compressor. As I recall had to use a few washers to make it fit right. So the thing does work with a long style compressor. If you have the smaller compressor it will not do anything.
Got rid of the whole setup and went to a Sanden compressor with Alan Grove brackets and now I have a/c that really cools instead of just blows warm air.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Call Customer Services at Corvette Central and ask.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 12-22-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

For the 80 AC compressor, the R4, you use the stock compressor mounts and don't need that extra bracket they sold you.
You need to use the original exhaust manifold long bolt/stud in place of the forward most header bolt. Then use a spacer the thickness of the original exhaust manifold to fill the gap.
Vendors sell that simple spacer, or I might have one if you want it, but I gotta look for it
Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those hanging on a hook in the garage from my engine build, too. I never used it as it's so flimsy. I just ground the OEM bracket to fit around the #2 cylinder's header pipe. It's been that way for years now & works great.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

This is all you need along with the original bolt/stud. I'm not 100% sure that's what this is supposed to be for, it's listed for between the bracket and compressor but it's wrong for there.
I made mine out of a piece of pipe.
http://shop.corvettecentral.com/C3-1...-p7265782.html

The upper AC support bolts on with an intake manifold bolt/stud so I'd think it would work with any manifold.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
CorvetteCentral.com
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Hi, everybody!

I bought the full exhaust system with the shorty headers from Corvette central for a little over $600 bux, and I have to say I'm real happy with it, however.........

They told me I would need this bracket in order to properly mount the ac compressor with the new headers. So I bout one. Here is a picture of it.

http://shop.corvettecentral.com/Corv...-p6162212.html

Now for my problem. What am I supposed to do with it? It didn't come with ANY instructions, and several of my friends and I have been scratching our heads over how it's supposed to work. Please help me out here, and joke answers are welcome, so bring 'em on!
Scott:

Our apologies. After early '77 you don’t need this bracket. We’ll make the description change on our website.

There is a spacer included with the hardware for the system for mounting the compressor.

We will credit you for the bracket. Please call our customer service department and reference this thread. Also have your order # and customer # handy. We are shutting down for the holidays after 8:00 today, but will reopen on January 3.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Hey CC, what exactly is this for?
http://shop.corvettecentral.com/C3-1...-p7265782.html
Old 12-23-2010, 03:54 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CorvetteCentral.com
Scott:

Our apologies. After early '77 you don’t need this bracket. We’ll make the description change on our website.

There is a spacer included with the hardware for the system for mounting the compressor.

We will credit you for the bracket. Please call our customer service department and reference this thread. Also have your order # and customer # handy. We are shutting down for the holidays after 8:00 today, but will reopen on January 3.
Yeah, from reading the other posts, I had kinda figured out that the bracket in question must be for the older style ac compressor. I'll make the call you suggest, but this was a couple years ago, I don't think I still have the reciept . Ya know, as long as we are on the subject, there is an alternator bracket that is in the same situation on your website. It said I needed this bracket if installing headers, but the alternator bracket on my 1980 Corvette bolts to the front of the head and has nothing whatsoever to do with the exhaust manifold, So I have no use for it. Maybe you can credit my for that also, if I can dig up the info. Credit would be just fine, I like doing business with you guys, so I'll spend it sooner or later.

As for the top brace, I am aware that I kinda need it, that's why I got a new one and replaced it, (I think I got it from Corvette Central, as a matter of fact.....) but Vortec style intake manifolds don't have the 4 bolts in the middle, only the 8 on the ends of the manifold. So, where there should be a stud or at least a bolt hole, there is nothing. Well, my brother has a welder, I guess I could take my existing brace and cut it and weld it back together to make use of another bolt on the intake, just wanted some input from others who may have come up with a different solution. Thanks, everybody, and Merry Christmas!

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To AC compressor bracket question

Quick Reply: AC compressor bracket question