Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] GM Replacement Parts Made in China??

Old 12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default GM Replacement Parts Made in China??

Just received some GM parts I ordered from the chevy dealer and they are made in China. Anyone else had this problem--that GM replacement parts are no longer made in the USA? The parts I ordered were the turn signal/side marker lens in the front.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell everything is made in China or Mexico these days........ Probably not much demand/money in OEM parts for older cars.

Gm started using Chinese made brake rotors about 3 years ago. The (lack of)quality of the machine work is apparant. But even the old ones were built in Canada.....................
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wallifishrmn
Just received some GM parts I ordered from the chevy dealer and they are made in China. Anyone else had this problem--that GM replacement parts are no longer made in the USA? The parts I ordered were the turn signal/side marker lens in the front.
A lot of parts on your car right now, as delivered from the factory, are made in China, Taiwan, Viet Nam, India, Mexico, Brazil, etc. It's been that way for quite some time and continues to regress. I could be wrong, but I would bet ALL electronic circuit boards and modules are made somewhere in the Far East. Is the Corvette American? Well, mostly yes and quite a bit no. Certain cars from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Toyota and Nissan are almost as American. Less so for the "American" Chrysler 300C Hemi, for which only the interior is US-made!

Chris
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Jim in Mich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use to work for Delphi in Flint MI, Closed the plant and I'm out of work. We use to make spark plugs for every GM car. We shipped all the machines to China. We also made all the tank units (fuel pump and sender units) no more....China. We also made all the air, oil and fuel filters......no more, Mexico, same with instrument clusters......no more. At one point these plants, there were 3, had over 13,000 workers. Now maybe 350 or so. Very sad, Flint was the birth place of the Corvette, of coarse that plant has been razed too, I do have a brick from it though. Here is a link to the tearing down of my plant.
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...cal&id=6501590
Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Hell everything is made in China or Mexico these days........ Probably not much demand/money in OEM parts for older cars.

Gm started using Chinese made brake rotors about 3 years ago. The (lack of)quality of the machine work is apparant. But even the old ones were built in Canada.....................
The problem with bad brake rotors is not entirely the fault of the Chinese factory where they were built. GM spec's the mat'l and the machining for all the parts they out source. If brake rotors are being sold by GM that they purchased from China(or any place) that are crap, blame GM. GM spec's the parts, accepted the parts from the supplier, and they are entirely responsible from what they sell.

China is capable(and does) of producing extremely high quality items, just as US companies are capable of producing extremely low quality items. The quality is based on the company purchasing of said items.

Do you drive a Corvette with a A6? The transmission is built in the US but the machine tools to machine the parts were made in China. So, the quality of the transmissions is dependent on the quality of the machines that built them.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-08-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Vette parts made in China.
Camaros made in Canada.
Dodge Ram made in Mexico.

But Hondas are made in Ohio and Toyotas are made in Texas. Want to buy "American" and support American workers? Go buy an Accord and a Tundra.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But where do the profits on those Hondas and Toyotos go?

Remember Pearl Harbor!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
84REDCROSSFIRE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by halp
But where do the profits on those Hondas and Toyotos go?

Remember Pearl Harbor!!!
Maybe some of the profits go back to Japan. Atleast they employ Americans, can GM say the same anymore.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Remember Pearl Harbor!!!
Are you just joking, or are you just over the age of 60?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Are you just joking, or are you just over the age of 60?
What does age have to do w/ it?? I'm not that old but won't patronize them either. Why forget history? This is the problem w/ America and will be it's demise. Next you'll want to do business w/ Venezuela or Iran because they have a cool car. What if 40 yrs from now the Taliban produces goods and your child wanted to buy it. Would you remind them of the World Trade center and how many Americans died there? This country is over as we knew it anyway and it's because of internal attitudes like this. No pride. Japan attacked this country on our soil and Americans died.....let's not act like it didn't happen just because it was a long time ago.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seamus2154
What does age have to do w/ it?? I'm not that old but won't patronize them either. Why forget history? This is the problem w/ America and will be it's demise. Next you'll want to do business w/ Venezuela or Iran because they have a cool car. What if 40 yrs from now the Taliban produces goods and your child wanted to buy it. Would you remind them of the World Trade center and how many Americans died there? This country is over as we knew it anyway and it's because of internal attitudes like this. No pride. Japan attacked this country on our soil and Americans died.....let's not act like it didn't happen just because it was a long time ago.
And Japan also took two atomic bombs for it. They paid a huge price, lost the war and signed the peace treaty. I doubt any of those in charge of the Pearl Harbor mission are even alive today. We know the pilots are not.

I'm not 60 either, but I do know people who were there and others who lost loved ones. These days, I believe Japan is a much better friend than foe, especially as close to North Korea and China as they are. That said, I will buy American wherever possible, even though it gets harder every day. While I avoid products from certain countries all together, Japan is not currently one of them.

Chris
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

What does age have to do w/ it??
Because your attitude toward a car manufacturer headquartered in another country is based on an unrelated event that happened almost 70 years ago. People with such a closed mindset are generally of the baby boomer generation.

I'm not that old but won't patronize them either. Why forget history?
Nobody is asking anyone to forget history. However, that is exactly what it is---history. Past tense. Over. Nobody alive today who actually attacked Pearl Harbor works for Toyota. I don't think 90-year-old Mitsubishi Zero pilots are cashing any checks from USA Camry sales.

What if 40 yrs from now the Taliban produces goods and your child wanted to buy it. Would you remind them of the World Trade center and how many Americans died there?
Why would I do that? Considering I want my kids to be smart, I would remind them that it was Al-Qaeda terrorists who attacked us on 9/11.

This country is over as we knew it anyway and it's because of internal attitudes like this. No pride.
Certainly you aren't accusing me of not having any USA pride. Statements like that will get you hurt. "Pride" has nothing to do with this discussion. In a global economy, products and services from around the world are manufactured and exchanged daily. Sorry to burst your stars and stripes dream bubble, but it just isn't 1955 any more. You can sing "baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet" all day long, but there isn't much very American about a Camaro built in Canada with Chinese parts made by the lowest bidder. Does that make it a bad car? Heck, no. It just isn't made here. Chances are favorable that if the car was 100% made in the USA, nobody could afford it. Maybe that is a labor union discussion for another day...

Japan attacked this country on our soil and Americans died.....let's not act like it didn't happen just because it was a long time ago.
What are you talking about? Nobody is acting like it didn't happen. Many of us have relatives who died in that attack. You just seem to hold a grudge against a whole country who is currently our ally. Hey, guess what? The British invaded us, too, but my girlfriend drives a Jaguar. My mom is Polish, but she drives a Mercedes-Benz.

I am sure you are familiar with the good ol' American tractor company John Deere, right? Nothing says "born in the USA" like a midwestern farmer riding his green John Deere. Well guess what US company was one of the first to help rebuild Japan right after we defeated them? Guess what US company partnered with the same Japanese diesel engine company who built the diesel engines for the Japanese aircraft carriers who attacked Pearl Harbor? Guess what US company is still using those Japanese partner engines in their tractors sold in the USA today? Yes. John Deere.

In closing, you need to check yourself. If you are a Corvette owner complaining about Japanese companies simply because they attacked us in WWII, you should sell your car. Those Chinese parts in your Vette are made in the same country who supported North Korea and North Viet Nam during those two wars...
Old 12-10-2010, 09:54 AM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I put in the Pearl Harbor reference as my post was on Dec 8. The Ann. of Pearl Harbor was Dec 7th in case any of you youngsters do not remember it. The profits made on Japanese cars do go to Japan. As far as jobs go, we will all be flipping burgers soon.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
VonDutch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wallifishrmn
Moral of the story

Don't give them 70k for a new corvette lol

I want Zero Defective parts from China on my corvettes

Also I don't support the communist party EVER !
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

The profits made on Japanese cars do go to Japan. As far as jobs go, we will all be flipping burgers soon.
I am sure all of the US citizens working here in the US for Toyota and Honda plants are happy to have jobs. The people laid off from the Big 3, not so much.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Oh boy, another internet toughguy. Statements like that will get you hurt??? Your kidding me right?? Seen this here before, and it could go on forever. Too much to debate on what you've said. Give me a break w/ the nonsense. Yes, some people are principle orientated. I have always found it insane that some Jewish people buy VW's. They used Jewish slave labor to build that car......yes, a longtime ago, but a prospering company because of it. To each his own....not me. My mother is also Polish and told me of how my grandfather was abused and tortured by the Germans. I am principle orientated as my mother...no German cars. My father is Irish...yep, no British cars. Whatever floats your boat, you can justify anything you like...it works for you. No need for the soapbox thing to justify it. Good for you....
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Whatever floats your boat, you can justify anything you like...it works for you. No need for the soapbox thing to justify it. Good for you....
Good for you as well. Glad the discrimination thing still works for you today in the 21st century. Keep us posted on what 100% American car you end up buying after you sell your built-with-communist-China-parts Corvette. Stick to your principles, right?

Just out of curiosity, what brands of television or stereo does someone own if they are anti-Japan? Maybe a Samsung?

Get notified of new replies

To GM Replacement Parts Made in China??

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Good for you as well. Glad the discrimination thing still works for you today in the 21st century. Keep us posted on what 100% American car you end up buying after you sell your built-with-communist-China-parts Corvette. Stick to your principles, right?

Just out of curiosity, what brands of television or stereo does someone own if they are anti-Japan? Maybe a Samsung?
Arrrg....Still on the soap box. Have love when someone states the obvious. Do you really think people believe their Harley is 100% American. I don't, but I figure that will be the next obvious thing you'll point out. Doesn't mean I'm selling my Harley and buying a Suzuki. If your principle orientated you do the best you can if you want to. Everything is made in China!! Some people are willing to pay for American...which is more, for a host of reasons. Discrimination??? 21st century??? LOL Enough. Being that we are asking questions, that would lead me to, are you a liberal Democrat?...Just curious? Alot of TV's are made in Korea and Mexico if someone were so inclined to care. This could go on forever....
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Discrimination???
Yes, towards Japan. I thought that would be obvious to you.

Being that we are asking questions, that would lead me to, are you a liberal Democrat?...Just curious?
The size of my firearm collection alone makes tree-hugging left-wing libs crap themselves.

Alot of TV's are made in Korea and Mexico
Remember the Alamo? Do you know how many Americans died there? I recently bought a USA-based Vizio 55" LED TV, and I need to find out where it is actually built! Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:55 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

LOL!!! OK as long as your not a liberal.... I just pulled my Vizio away from the wall......MADE IN CHINA!!!!! I told you everything is made in China!! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Replacement Parts Made in China??