Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wt@!*- '87 cutting off!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLS Help! '87 cutting off! ???

Last week my 87: which has been sitting for over 6 yrs got down to the reserve fuel in the gas tank; at which point it promptly died on the highway and would not restart. I HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED to my home. Once there I filled it with super - gas and it seemed to be OK.
The next day while going to work (after driving for about 20 - 30 mins) it died again. Now I added dry gas and fuel injector cleaned as well. While driving it died again. I had the fuel pump and 2 filters changed -but the still does the same thing after driving for about 30 mins. It will die, crank - strong - but not start and run. I have to let it sit for about 2 hours at least, before it will start again. Any idea?!!!

Last edited by TheKid!!; 11-29-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
usmc_butler
Racer

Sounds like it is something in the distributor or firing, when the car gets warm it shuts down. I've heard of the coil doing this. Just my .02c
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

It sounds like the ignition control module or the coil. These are both heat sensitive and what you are discribing is exactly the way most go bad...WW
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When it shuts off is it sudden like tou switched it off or does it sputter as it shuts down? Do you see the SES ( Check Engine) light indicating fault codes have been set?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
C4Cowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKid!!
Last week my 87: which has been sitting for over 6 yrs got down to the reserve fuel in the gas tank; at which point it promptly died on the highway and would not restart. I HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED to my home. Once there I filled it with super - gas and it seemed to be OK.
The next day while going to work (after driving for about 20 - 30 mins) it died again. Now I added dry gas and fuel injector cleaned as well. While driving it died again. I had the fuel pump and 2 filters changed -but the still does the same thing after driving for about 30 mins. It will die, crank - strong - but not start and run. I have to let it sit for about 2 hours at least, before it will start again. Any idea?!!!
I am restoring my 85. It had a similar problem.
I replaced the relay... run for awhile then die. Testing suggested a bad fuel pump.. replaced that....

Same thing car would run for awhile then die as if someone had turned it off. Crank no start. Good spark, zero fuel pressure. It turned out to be a crimped wire at the fuel pump connection at the fuel tank.... check your wiring that new pigtail is about 50 bucks at your parts store..

thats my 2 cents....

c4 cowboy.

Last edited by C4Cowboy; 11-29-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

maybe your cagameter needs adjusting. I've heard that a full blinker fluid reservoir fixes it as well

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 11-30-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

bad cagameter
but i would try another coil and ignition module each time to see which one's failing
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
maybe your cagameter needs adjusting. I've heard that a full blinker fluid reservoir fixes it as well
I think you're wrong. Every time this happened to me the flux capacitor was out of sink.

.....but seriously, I would check spark. Sounds like ignition module with out being there to run tests.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
TheKid!!
Advanced

Sudden. No SES as I recall... Thanks...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Have you checked fuel pressure? Even with a new filter and pump, if the car sat for that time and you got it down to the reserve level, it's possible that the pump picked up debris from the bottom of the tank and is blocking the line somewhere.

Pull any codes stored in the ECM. If the FP is not getting sufficient voltage or if the FP relay is bad, a Code 54 will be set. The SES light may come on initially when low voltage is seen, but the light will go off once voltage returns to normal.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

It could be that your pump was on it's last legs or your ignition module. I am VERY hesitant to say module because I don't know for sure. You see, I have a small cap and a divorced coil. You don't have that setup but when my module was going, that was what it did.

If you have changed the pump, it could be a bad pump or a bad power source. IDK. When you changed the pump, I would ASSUME that you changed the sock? Did you? If so, hook up a noid light to the fuel pump harness so you can see what it is doing at the time. Could also be your relay to the FP. Not sure

Also when it is dead, check if you have spark. My module would work but especially when we went thru a car wash, it would die out. Again, that wasn't the whole thing and I did have a little leak in the wires. Changed wires and no improvement at the car wash. Changed module and life was good again.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sudden shut off generally points to ignition. My first guess would be the module. Would be nice to see if any codes are set.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Muffin
Sudden shut off generally points to ignition. My first guess would be the module. Would be nice to see if any codes are set.
Didn't set a code when mine went south
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I have a small cap and a divorced coil.
small cap (camaro style) HEI and big cap (vette) HEI both suffer ignition module frailty...small caps also frequent no-fly due to soft pick-up assy, better to get the 'reman' small cap with 'big cap style pick-up' from napa for ~$111, if ya gotta run small.

FIRST TEST for ANY efi drive prob is FUEL PRESSURE...but if PO wants to 'shoot first,ask later', try a 'known good' ign module in the distrib.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 PM
C4Cowboy
Intermediate

Default Okay Im an NG too!

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
It sounds as if the cagameter might be like changing the oil in my tires
or rotating my oil but im unclear... please clarify.... lol!

c4cowboy
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
corvetteharley
Advanced

Default Just a thought

I've taken my ignition control module to O'Reillys auto parts they tested it for me for free just a thought to rule that out for you I'd call and ask first if you try it hope this helps you.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvetteharley
I've taken my ignition control module to O'Reillys auto parts they tested it for me for free just a thought to rule that out for you I'd call and ask first if you try it hope this helps you.
They ruled mine out too but when replaced, the hesitation problem disappeared.

Get notified of new replies

To Wt@!*- '87 cutting off!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
TheKid!!
Advanced

It was the computer. The cable needed to be reseated. I replaced the fuel pump and had everything checked... It came down to loose cable. I had the computer replaced as well. I took out the passenger seat and got under the DASHBOARD. Why is the computer under the DASHBOARD? I think I will ty-rap the cables to the computer box. what do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was the computer. The cable needed to be reseated. I replaced the fuel pump and had everything checked... It came down to loose cable. I had the computer replaced as well. I took out the passenger seat and got under the DASHBOARD. Why is the computer under the DASHBOARD? I think I will ty-rap the cables to the computer box. what do you guys think?
Way to keep at it!
Yes stuff is hidden all over the C4......just wasn't enough room to put everything out in the open. 20lbs of crap in a 10lb box kinda thing sums it up.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
NebCorvette94
Instructor

Good job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wt@!*- '87 cutting off!