C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to remove/replace 86 Low Coolant Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM
bossfan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove/replace 86 Low Coolant Sensor?

Stock 1986 Corvette Coupe: My radiator is confirmed absolutely full but the "coolant low" light comes on intermittently, around every 10-15 mins. I found this thread which helped clean the sensor connector:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-light-on.html

But if the light persists how do I remove the sensor from the radiator to clean it and put it back? I tried to give it a twist but it only moved a millimeter or two, is there a specific technique required? Will coolant come flowing out if/when I am able to remove it?

Any help/advice would be appreciated,
bossfan
Old 11-27-2010, 09:48 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,007 Likes on 837 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You need to burp your radiator. You have trapped air pockets in your cooling system.

I use my ramps and put the front of the vette on the ramps. This makes my radiator a higher water level. With car at 180 degrees, I give it gas to about 1500 rpm's with the cap off. I fill the radiator then. Before letting rpm's drop put cap back on.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bossfan
Stock 1986 Corvette Coupe: My radiator is confirmed absolutely full but the "coolant low" light comes on intermittently, around every 10-15 mins. I found this thread which helped clean the sensor connector:

But if the light persists how do I remove the sensor from the radiator to clean it and put it back? I tried to give it a twist but it only moved a millimeter or two, is there a specific technique required? Will coolant come flowing out if/when I am able to remove it?

bossfan
After 25 years, you can expect it to snap like a twig when you remove it.
Forget about cleaning it, and replace it.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bossfan

bossfan
You simply pry open the side claws and it pops right out. Put some petroleum jelly on the o-ring and pop the new one back in. Do it quickly as when you pull it out anti-freeze will run everywhere if you don't plug the hole or reinstall the sensor quickly.

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-low-...1984-1989.html

Finally, you need to burp your cooling system to purge the trapped air out from under the thermostat. See attached write-up.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
bossfan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That explains it perfectly, thanks. Mine has a black zip-tie covering the claw section so I couldn't see they were claws.

Thanks again,
bossfan

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove/replace 86 Low Coolant Sensor?

Quick Reply: How to remove/replace 86 Low Coolant Sensor?