C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What are the symptoms of a worn cam lobe?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default What are the symptoms of a worn cam lobe?

Like the title states, how can I determine if a cam lobe is worn without removing the cam?
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Marv02
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will run ruff.

Pull the vavle covers and wacth the rockers arms either turn the motor by hand or you can bump the motor with the starter if 1 or a couple arms dont have full movment as the rest most likly you have a cam that went flat on you.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:38 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

measure how far the valve stem depresses into the head as the valve opens. compare with other valves.

pull suspect lifter. if the lifter face or roller is worn, concave, or shows damage or pitting, its pretty certain that the matching cam lobe is a goner. the mrtal surface of the cam lobe is only hardened for a few thousands of an inch. once the softer metal underneath is exposed, failure follows.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv02
The car will run ruff.

Pull the vavle covers and wacth the rockers arms either turn the motor by hand or you can bump the motor with the starter if 1 or a couple arms dont have full movment as the rest most likly you have a cam that went flat on you.
... ... the engine will miss , roughly ... will make clickity-clack noises ... and observation will determine which rocker(s) have diminished motion ... its rare on roller cams but not unheard of ... good luck
Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 AM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Thanks.

Checking rocker motion is easy enough to do. The engine has been running rough. I have gone through the fuel system, checked ignition and checked compression. I'm running out of ideas. This is a flat tappet cam with approx 50,000 miles on it. Seemed like the next logical thing to check.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:19 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

........ Flat tappet cams are very much at risk to wear due to a dramatic decrease in ZDDP additives in motor oils ... recently , Valvoline Racing Oil has added increased amounts of ZDDP ( zinc-di-dithio-phosphate ) and , of course , there's always STP ... for a while there a lot of enthusiasts were using Shell Rotella Oils that were primarily intended for diesels , but they also have had to reduce ZDDP for emissions reasons ... use the search function for past threads addressing this ...............
Old 11-27-2010, 09:34 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

The rocker adjustment will get loose. It will start clicking, you adjust it. It gets loose again. After a while you will get a miss on that cylinder.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

With a dial indicator and the valves covers off, you'll be able to tell exactly if there is any wear. You would only be able to see very severe wear by eyeballing the rockers.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-07-2024)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
With a dial indicator and the valves covers off, you'll be able to tell exactly if there is any wear. You would only be able to see very severe wear by eyeballing the rockers.
That's what I was thinking. This cam only has .444 lift. And I don't think it's that far gone. I think Pete had it right. If a lobe is worn enough to effect performance, it should show up with lower compression. I think I'll redo a compression test. The last time I checked compression, I had one cylinder that was out of family but was still in spec according to the FSM. That could have been the beginning of the problem. Thanks guys.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
That's what I was thinking. This cam only has .444 lift. And I don't think it's that far gone. I think Pete had it right. If a lobe is worn enough to effect performance, it should show up with lower compression. I think I'll redo a compression test. The last time I checked compression, I had one cylinder that was out of family but was still in spec according to the FSM. That could have been the beginning of the problem. Thanks guys.
If an exhaust cam lobe is going away, you might not notice a drop in compression during a test. In fact, the compression might even rise in that instance.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:44 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have a flat cam on the exhaust lobe, it will pop or backfire thru thru the carb or TB at full throttle.At light throttle it will still run marginal. If the intake lobe is flat, then you would have compression problems, because it can't pull any air in the cylinder making it act like a dead cylinder. But flat cams are alot more common with flat tappet cams than roller cams.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

agree with above post ^^^ took a few posts to mention it, but a flattened exh lobe backfires like crazy out of the intake manifold.

Also, don't forget to go old school when trying to figure out core mechanical failures..try a vacuum gauge.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the symptoms of a worn cam lobe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a worn cam lobe?