C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picts of Plug Wires. Big Block with Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 PM
roger3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Picts of Plug Wires. Big Block with Headers

Trying to decide if I should route my plug wires above or below headers. Installing 454 and hooker competition chrome headers with side pipes in 76 vette. Planning on using the Accel ceramic wires/boots.

Any pictures, comments, pros, cons welcome. I know lots of people have already crossed this bridge.

If I go on top, what angle boots works best to avoid touching the headers.

What angle boot works best when routing plug wires below headers.

Thanks

Roger
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 PM
442olds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spark plug wires

http://picasaweb.google.com/438vette/HeadersExhaust#

I have stahl side pipe headers but I think the clearance to your pipes is going to be about the same. As you can see i started with flxible MSD grew boots, that can be angled. But these started to burn and crack. I then found the orange silcone 115 degree orange silcone 115 preformed boots that msd makes for High temp applications. I have yet to replace a boot and I have 30000 miles on these wires. I really like the MSD Super conductor wires over anything Accel makes. I just don't think accel has the quality anymore.

If you do decide to go under the headers the 90 degree boot is really the only way to go. Retaining the wires so they stay in place and don't touch the headers is a little more interesting and it takes a lot longer to route the wires.

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine are 'over' the headers. I used Taylor 270 degree boots - made small 'L' shaped bracket from stainless, attaching to header flange bolts to fit the cable holders (Spectre Industries I think?) only ever had an issue with plug no. 3 which I have burnt the boot out twice and had to replace (boot moved against header)

Old 11-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

90 degree boots underneath the Hooker Super Comps with 2 1/8 primaries and zero heat issues...... and nothing special except the heat resistant boots that came with the set. A bonus is those normally ugly or unsightly wires are out of sight leaving a cleaner look in the engine bay

LS7 454 IS PICTURED

Last edited by Ironcross; 11-21-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 AM
eastltd
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are stock repros routed in the factory type looms on my 73 LS4:

Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 AM
roger3
Pro

Thanks guys,

I am going under the headers. I have the engine put together but not in the car yet. Should be easy for me to install the headers and route the wires to keep them away from the headers.

Roger
Old 11-22-2010, 11:04 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

MSD 8.5 wires, 90* ends, behind the heads, under the headers....no issues with burning at all. I do tie wrap them close to the block on the bottom side to keep them away from the headers...

Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 PM
roger3
Pro

AJ,

Thanks. I'm going below the headers also. Will order the universal MSD wires tonight so that I can have them the lengths I need.

Hopefully I get some time over the hollidays to work on my engine comparment. The pictures in this thread look really good!!! They make me slow down and get mine looking good too.

Roger
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Roger, I think the pre cut wires out of the box are too short to run them like you see above under the headers. Make sure you get a set of wires you can cut to lenght. Also depending on the heads you might have the spark plugs at sharp angle which could cause some difficulty with pulling the wire back around towards the firewall. I have a mixture of 90 degree and 180* boots to make mine work.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

I used 90 degree boots with Taylor fiberglass socks and routed under the headers. Get a universal kit and cut to length, this way you can guarantee they are routed where you need them...away from the headers. I'll try to remember to post pics of my set, i just moved from above the headers to under a few months ago. Much cleaner look and easier to work on everything else.
I also had to go with the shortly spark plugs in my BBC with Hooker sidepipes. What a PIA it is to change the plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To Picts of Plug Wires. Big Block with Headers

Quick Reply: Picts of Plug Wires. Big Block with Headers