C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Corvette LSX 454 Project

Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM
The Collector
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Corvette LSX 454 Project

Well, I recently picked up an 80 in good running condition (not drivable yet though). After it was smashed, it was sold to an owner who fixed it up for the most part, but got bored with it after many dillemmas. It has a 383 stroker, and he tried running dual quads. The cam isn't suited for the setup, and he didn't run the proper ignition. Now that its in my possession, and after weeks of research, I know what I want to do.

First step is the chassis. I have seen some nice kits on VB&P's site, so I will post the full package I want to purchase soon, but if any suggestions would be appreciated. I am building this for a 620hp engine, keep in mind.

Next is the motor. It's second here becuase I have to save 10K for GM's LSX 454 crate. This will probably be where I encouter most of my difficulties. I would like to know of any trouble you have encoutered if you have done this or something similar to this before, and any general advice and precautions. Also where I can find the right plates, mounts, and bell housing. Running a 4 speed Muncie in case I forgot to mention.
The dual quads will still be ran, as I am not interested in injection and could care less if single barrel is easier.

Thank you all in advance, I will be looking forward to your responses.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

Well, your first problem is that no-one makes a dual quad manifold for the LSX. You cannot use the old small block manifold. Edelbrock does make one for the LS1/6 but that has the early cathedral ports, not the later rectangular ports.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:17 PM
The Collector
Intermediate

So none of these would work?:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...word=dual+quad

I never thought that the intake had to be LSX specific, I figured I had narrowed it down to one of the above.

Also, this is the chassis kit I found would best suit my setup:

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...-Full-Kit.html

Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by The Collector

I never thought that the intake had to be LSX specific, I figured I had narrowed it down to one of the above.

Thanks
You really need to do some research on LSx based engines.... NOTHING transfers from SB or BB to them.....

There is an Edelbrock single 4bbl Victor intake available for the cathedrel port and square port LS3/L76/L92 engines.....That is really your only option if you want to go carbuerated....It is a good intake though and make way more power then 2x4 carb setups..... 2/4s and 6 packs are horrible for making power....unless its a tunnel ram...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:39 PM
The Collector
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You really need to do some research on LSx based engines.... NOTHING transfers from SB or BB to them.....
I never said I was going to use the same dual quad, just the concept. I wouldn't be concerned with mounts/plates/bell-housing if I thought BB and SB were interchangeable. And yes, tunneling ram is a must, it goes along with the amazing look of dual quads.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

There is an Edelbrock single 4bbl Victor intake available for the cathedrel port and square port LS3/L76/L92 engines.....That is really your only option if you want to go carbuerated....It is a good intake though and make way more power then 2x4 carb setups..... 2/4s and 6 packs are horrible for making power....unless its a tunnel ram...

Very big difference between GEN I and LSX engines.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously you should consider a SRIII complete frame setup for about $15K. Anybody starting from scratchwith a frame to clean, modify, support over 500HP, and you want handling also will spend close to this amount plus a lots more hours installing and tuning. For 600HP you need Tom's outer axles setup with will run you $2,000 plus a beefed up differential that will cost another $3,000. There you have it, $7,500 bucks and you still need to install it all plus you don't have steeroids or offset trailing arms.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:50 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by The Collector

Thanks
Those intakes are all for old big blocks. Will not work on the LSX.

The VBP system is pretty good but there are lots of other options if you are going all out. Coilovers, tube chassis, C4 rear swap which has better geometry.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

You do have a ballpark figure for putting all this together and making it work from the motor, to transmission, to rear punkin to the rear wheels ?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like this could snowball into another Merlin
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The only dual quad LS manifold is for the LS1/2/6 heads.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-75184/
Very cool but wont work on the LS3/L92 or LS7 heads. Go with the GMPP single carb unit for LS7 heads.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM+Performance...44033/10002/-1
You'll need a spark controller from MSD (6012). Just be sure to get the correct 24 or 58 reluctor wheel unit for the 454.
Get the Dirty Dingo mounting plates that allow the engine to be shifted from original location to a couple inches forward.
http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1318
SD parts makes a vette specific Z bar stud mount. You can still use the mechanical z bar link.
http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...s-center/sdcbv
As for clutch, first find out if you have a 10 or 26 spline input shaft. Let me know the spline count and I can tell you what flywheel/clutch/throwout bearing that will work.
Keisler makes a 621 bell housing with the extra bolt hole for the LS motor and will bolt to the Muncie.
A corvette LS7 pilot bearing works for the muncie input shaft.
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factor...parts/12557583
Almost any corvette or F body pan will work.
Not sure on exhaust. There are several makers for the standard LS motors, not sure if they'll work on the 454 heads.

Last edited by Garys 68; 11-15-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:40 PM
The Collector
Intermediate

Wow, I never stopped to think about the dual quad intake, I figured it would be the easiest item to find. Apparently not. My budget was at roughly 17K from the motor to the wheels.

I guess the best thing to do is get back to the basics and run the 383 with dual quads for now. The MSD 7 ignition kit I'm going to install should give more than a hot enough spark. The clutch needs replacing, so if anyone knows which of these sites on the forum I should look into for a quality stage 3 I would greatly appreciate it. Steering gearbox needs rebuilding, and I'm going to change the coupler rag joint just to be safe. Fuel pump is rigged directly to the battery (previous owner) so that's going to be a project in itself.

Any feedback on this new (yet old) approach would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:26 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Well I am happy to see you are realistic and you actually had a budget and this was not a bad pipe dream, well done. I have 15 grand in my 427ci small block in parts alone, no labor I built it myself and counting all the aftermarket stuff under the hood including dual 13in Spal fans and Becool radiator and yada yada yada it comes to about 20 grand.

Then you move back to tranny and rear end capable of not skeetering parts all over the track the first time you launch it over idle speed and you are looking at a price tag that could buy you an used C6

Work with what you have right now, put a shot of nitrous on it if you want. What's the deal on the 7al, it's not going to make you go any faster, is there some reason you want to put that on ?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
The Collector
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MotorHead
you are looking at a price tag that could buy you an used C6
Hahaha! Yeah, a 383 should keep me more than happy for the time. I will derinately look into 427 or better yet a 434 for the future. As for the ignition, I know a 6 or 7 would both work, but I am anticipating the bigger motor with the 7. I figure I pay a bit more and get it done right the first time. I'll leave playing with nitro to the big boys, I'm still finding my way around all this

Bright side to this I have a moderately powerful, running, stylish Vette for under 5K (my new budget). I'm estimating that it will cover:

-New dual quad + carb kit
-MSD7 or Mallory Ignition
-Stage 3 Clutch + flywheel
-Paint and misc.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

A L92 (Escalade) with GM TB intake could get you close to your goals at about half your budget.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

MSD 7 is overkill. They actually have a shorter life expectancy in street use. Get a digital 6 if you want features.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Nothing cooler than dual four barrels
Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
WolfenWingsXL
1st Gear

Would it be possible to use LS2 heads with Edelbrocks LS2 Dual Quad intake?

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Corvette LSX 454 Project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1980 Corvette LSX 454 Project