Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
racer10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?

Aside from the LS9 to the LS7 can anyone explain the difference between the Z06 and the Zr1 if the Z07 option and the Carbon Fiber option are added to the Z06 . Are there meaningful differences in say for example cornering , shifting ,ride or other areas that make the ZR1 worth the extra bucks that are outside of the additional horsepower the ZR1 brings to the table? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by racer10
Aside from the LS9 to the LS7 can anyone explain the difference between the Z06 and the Zr1 if the Z07 option and the Carbon Fiber option are added to the Z06 . Are there meaningful differences in say for example cornering , shifting ,ride or other areas that make the ZR1 worth the extra bucks that are outside of the additional horsepower the ZR1 brings to the table? Thanks.
Not really much difference other then the engine, different gearing in the transmission and the CF hood on the ZR1. But if you were to purchase the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition, instead of the Z06 with the Z07 and CFZ options , you would also get a CF hood like the ZR1(just not with the peek-a-boo window).
Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
But if you were to purchase the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition, instead of the Z06 with the Z07 and CFZ options , you would also get a CF hood like the ZR1(just not with the peek-a-boo window).
Thats just dumb, but thanks for the good info
Old 11-12-2010, 07:07 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I think if you get the full bore Z07 and CFZ stuff you basically get a ZR1, but with the LS7 instead of the LS9.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I haven't looked but do the 2011 Z06/CF Z06's have the five way adjustable traction control? That's a big one if you have the car out in a number of road conditions.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level. There are of course other differences like the tranny ratios. Not sure if the Z07 has the beefier drive train pieces that the ZR1 has.

I was thinking hard about moving up from my '08 Z06 to the Z07 and was very surprised that they are hard to find. It seems that after the dismal sales of Z06's in '10, plus the price point of the new loaded Z07's (even discounted) has placed them too close to a heavily discounted ZR1.

Talked with Kerbeck (largest Vette dealer) when I looked online at their '11 inventory and could not find EVEN ONE '11 Z06. They told me that they may not stock any, and if they do, it will be very few. Of course they will do special orders. They told me that from one side, the GS has just killed the Z06, and with the ZR1 prices getting closer and closer to a loaded Z07, the Z06's are getting hit from above, also. Frankly, I was surprised that they were willing to be so candid with me. If the world's largest Corvette dealership is doing this, how much longer do you think the current Z06 model will be around? Now, if you do get a Z07, it will be pretty rare, and that will be the one good thing. But realistically, all of these cars depreciate like M/F's, so they are not really investments unless you are planning to hold for 25 or so thirty years. Trust me, as an avid investor, there are much better places to put your investment $$$$$.

Sooo, in my case, I am going with a loaded '10 ZR1 that is discounted nearly $18k from MSRP. If I want more than 638 h/p and 610 ft/lbs torque, I can get over 700 flywheel from LPE for about $3k.

This is not a knock on the Z06, I really enjoyed my car, but I think this is a great time to take advantage of the ZR1 pricing since soon they will be drastically reducing ZR1 production. This one I am keeping for a long time. I believe it will be many years before any C7 or C8 eclipses ZR1 performance. Chevy is putting major dollars into the Cruze, Volt, etc, that is where the major bucks are going. The C7 will have a much smaller displacement making about the same as today's LS3 by virtue of DI - according to what has been leaked so far. The new Z06 or ZR1 will probably be a S/C version of this engine with 525-550 h/p - strictly my guess.

I think the C6 Z06's and ZR1s are incredible cars that we are lucky to have offered to us, and those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level. There are of course other differences like the tranny ratios. Not sure if the Z07 has the beefier drive train pieces that the ZR1 has.

I was thinking hard about moving up from my '08 Z06 to the Z07 and was very surprised that they are hard to find. It seems that after the dismal sales of Z06's in '10, plus the price point of the new loaded Z07's (even discounted) has placed them too close to a heavily discounted ZR1.

Talked with Kerbeck (largest Vette dealer) when I looked online at their '11 inventory and could not find EVEN ONE '11 Z06. They told me that they may not stock any, and if they do, it will be very few. Of course they will do special orders. They told me that from one side, the GS has just killed the Z06, and with the ZR1 prices getting closer and closer to a loaded Z07, the Z06's are getting hit from above, also. Frankly, I was surprised that they were willing to be so candid with me. If the world's largest Corvette dealership is doing this, how much longer do you think the current Z06 model will be around? Now, if you do get a Z07, it will be pretty rare, and that will be the one good thing. But realistically, all of these cars depreciate like M/F's, so they are not really investments unless you are planning to hold for 25 or so thirty years. Trust me, as an avid investor, there are much better places to put your investment $$$$$.

Sooo, in my case, I am going with a loaded '10 ZR1 that is discounted nearly $18k from MSRP. If I want more than 638 h/p and 610 ft/lbs torque, I can get over 700 flywheel from LPE for about $3k.

This is not a knock on the Z06, I really enjoyed my car, but I think this is a great time to take advantage of the ZR1 pricing since soon they will be drastically reducing ZR1 production. This one I am keeping for a long time. I believe it will be many years before any C7 or C8 eclipses ZR1 performance. Chevy is putting major dollars into the Cruze, Volt, etc, that is where the major bucks are going. The C7 will have a much smaller displacement making about the same as today's LS3 by virtue of DI - according to what has been leaked so far. The new Z06 or ZR1 will probably be a S/C version of this engine with 525-550 h/p - strictly my guess.

I think the C6 Z06's and ZR1s are incredible cars that we are lucky to have offered to us, and those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.

See the link below. I've narrowed it to all 2011 Corvettes, sorted by price. It helps to go to the bottom of the page and make sure it is set to "250 per page" After you get to the second page (all ZR1's first) you'll start to see the high dollar Z06s with the Z06 (and carbon) package....
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...Id=2102&rn=250

NOTE: I just realized the link above starts on page 2 of the search. Page one has 250 ZR1's.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No PTM on the Z07's - and that is a big deal in my book. Check out the discussion of PTM in the Motor Trend shootout between a ZR1 and Porsche Turbo. The professional driver could not beat the PTM when set at the highest level.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

It is also just not the LS9 that is different in the powertrain, it is also the rest of the stronger drivetrain components like the clutch ,tranny, and rear end. I am not sure about the drive shaft and half shafts either.

There are also some other small cosmetic differences like the hood and front fenders.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
It is also just not the LS9 that is different in the powertrain, it is also the rest of the stronger drivetrain components like the clutch ,tranny, and rear end. I am not sure about the drive shaft and half shafts either.

There are also some other small cosmetic differences like the hood and front fenders.
Once you have equalized the features and options content between the two cars, you are still left with a ~$25k premium to buy the ZR1. GM didn't help things when they increased the spread between the two cars for MY2011 by an additional $2900.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by jschindler
See the link below. I've narrowed it to all 2011 Corvettes, sorted by price. It helps to go to the bottom of the page and make sure it is set to "250 per page" After you get to the second page (all ZR1's first) you'll start to see the high dollar Z06s with the Z06 (and carbon) package....
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...Id=2102&rn=250

NOTE: I just realized the link above starts on page 2 of the search. Page one has 250 ZR1's.
Great site Jim. My hometown dealer has my car exactly with the exception of the interior color.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Great site Jim. My hometown dealer has my car exactly with the exception of the interior color.
Let me know when you pick it up....lunch is on me, but you have to drive
Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My local dealer, who just happens to be a Corvette Forum sponser, and is the 5th largest Corvette dealer, just happens to have three 2011 Z06's, with the Z07 & CFZ options, in stock. Torch Red, Supersonic Blue and Inferno Orange. All three have a MSRP of $96,610, but Wes Milby will treat you right on the price.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:55 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My local dealer, who just happens to be a Corvette Forum sponser, and is the 5th largest Corvette dealer, just happens to have three 2011 Z06's, with the Z07 & CFZ options, in stock. Torch Red, Supersonic Blue and Inferno Orange. All three have a MSRP of $96,610, but Wes Milby will treat you right on the price.
Yes, I think you can probably get the Z07 loaded for about $85k, you can get a loaded '10 ZR1 for about $104-105k (MSRP was a little over $122k)

It's all good for us addicts...
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by jschindler
Let me know when you pick it up....lunch is on me, but you have to drive
You're on Jim anytime! But don't get too excited. I still think it will be somewhere in the Feb-April time frame next year.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:19 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Just a note Z06's don't pay gas guzzler taxes 12 miles to the gal. is what my buddy see's his Z06 and mine get about 28 on highway and 20 in town. I know we don"t buy Corvettes for gas mileage but the dressed up Z06 is a better value to me.
z51vett
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think if you get the full bore Z07 and CFZ stuff you basically get a ZR1, but with the LS7 instead of the LS9.
difference being the engine and gearing....shifter linkage diff as well I think....the algorythm for traction control is diff.....I think it's called "PTM" is it? These are the diffs that I'm aware of....

the clutch as well and all the things that make it the "king"

Last edited by tim414; 11-14-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Jet Jockey & C5
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 10 Z06 over a ZR1 because I prefer the LS7 over the LS9. I can always add the carbon pieces & wheels / brakes if I want. But getting a rare 2010 Z06 + the 0% offer was too good to pass up. Also, getting over 600 HP is only a few mods away on an LS7 if so desired.

LS7 doesn't heat soak like an LS9 on track lap after lap. I will always prefer NA over boosted.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06/Z07 differences to Zr1?