C7 Production

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Default C7 Production

Steve Grilli , the Corvette assembly plant quality engineer, said last night at the East Tennessee Corvette Club meeting that the C7 will be a short run production. GM is focusing now on the C8!!

This coincides with the rumor that the C7 will be a warmed over C6.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 11-03-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well - Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter says differently....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVycCzxPsuM
Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 243 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by Vette758702
Well - Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter says differently....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVycCzxPsuM
That's an old video. A lot has changed with GM since May 1st!

At any rate I hope Grilli is wrong. I'm just reporting what he said the status of the C7 was as of last week.

My feeling is that the C8 was supposed to be the C7 but lack of money and time required GM to warm over the current Vette and call it a C7 then continue work on a new platform and call it the C8.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 11-08-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

My feeling is that the C8 was supposed to be the C7 but lack of money and time required GM to warm over the current Vette and call it a C7 then continue work on a new platform and call it the C8.

Tom
I hope that's wrong, because no Corvette generation should be a warmed over version of the previous generation. (just imo...) Even the classic C3 was extended several years until they could come out with the completely different body style of the C4. An entire model year was skipped! Taking a similar approach would be better than having the C7 be a warmed over C6, which does nothing more than lessen both the legacy of the C6 and integrity of the C7. (again, just my opinion!)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh. No matter if the rumor is true tons will call this a c6.5 or c6 or whatever. C6 isn't just a modified c5 and c7 I can't see being just a modified c6. The c5 z was a modified c5, not an ls3 vette.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
That's an old video. A lot has changed with GM since May 1st!

At any rate I hope Grilli is wrong. I'm just reporting what he said the status of the C7 was as of last week.

Tom
That's correct, GM said that. The bankruptcy changed everything.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT4_CE
I hope that's wrong, because no Corvette generation should be a warmed over version of the previous generation. (just imo...) Even the classic C3 was extended several years until they could come out with the completely different body style of the C4. An entire model year was skipped! Taking a similar approach would be better than having the C7 be a warmed over C6, which does nothing more than lessen both the legacy of the C6 and integrity of the C7. (again, just my opinion!)
It's not going to be warmed over. There will be many changes including a new engine. It just won't be a completely new car. Nothing wrong with that. Corvette has always been about steady improvement.

Also C4 was a completely new car with huge improvement to handling. Read Dave McLellan's book.

Last edited by goatts; 11-10-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Marvolus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No new engine anytime soon at GM

Sorry to burst your bubble but their is no new engine coming anytime soon. We are not testing any new tooling at GM the Gen 5 is just a very slightly modded Gen 3 just like the Gen 4 was GM is putting it's eggs in the small electric & hybird market don't expect a major change in the Corvette anytime soon & forget a mid engine vette expect lighter materials better engine management & computer aided handling as well as accident avoidance the Corvette is not a big profit auto remember GMs business plan is to rebuild its self as a profitable world leader in the auto industry not a nitch sports car builder We now have the most POWERFUL production power plants the most dependable & most fuel savay autos in the world. LONG LIVE THE LEGACY
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the last real generation Corvette was the C5. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the C6 is a warmed over C5 at all, its an improved Corvette in many areas however it is not a generational leap as the C4 was over the C3 or the C5 over the C4. With those cars they were really all new cars over the previous generations. It seems that the C6 was more of an improved car rather than a truly new generation. I hope that with the C7 we see a really all new Corvette, possibly taking styling from the past (Split rear window) and incorporating it with modern design. The problem lies with the financial condition of GM and how much money they are willing to spend or have already spent on R&D for the C7. Whatever they do I'm sure that it will still be a beautiful car that will run with the best out there but after 15 years with the current platform I think that GM must come out with something all new for the Corvette sales figures to rebound. If people arent exited there not going to line up for it. Just my .02
Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Marvolus
Sorry to burst your bubble but their is no new engine coming anytime soon. We are not testing any new tooling at GM the Gen 5 is just a very slightly modded Gen 3 just like the Gen 4 was GM is putting it's eggs in the small electric & hybird market don't expect a major change in the Corvette anytime soon & forget a mid engine vette expect lighter materials better engine management & computer aided handling as well as accident avoidance the Corvette is not a big profit auto remember GMs business plan is to rebuild its self as a profitable world leader in the auto industry not a nitch sports car builder We now have the most POWERFUL production power plants the most dependable & most fuel savay autos in the world. LONG LIVE THE LEGACY
Wow! That's exciting! Small electric and hybrid! You mean like the Volt, a $16k car with a $25k battery? This sounds like Obama's crap and it will ruin your company. There's more to Corvette than profit, it gets peoples attention. Look at how well Ford's doing and they are putting a new engine in Mustang.

I can do without your smartass comments about bursting my bubble. I don't have a bubble but I may buy a Porsche instead of a C7.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
IMHO the last real generation Corvette was the C5. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that the C6 is a warmed over C5 at all, its an improved Corvette in many areas however it is not a generational leap as the C4 was over the C3 or the C5 over the C4. With those cars they were really all new cars over the previous generations. It seems that the C6 was more of an improved car rather than a truly new generation. I hope that with the C7 we see a really all new Corvette, possibly taking styling from the past (Split rear window) and incorporating it with modern design. The problem lies with the financial condition of GM and how much money they are willing to spend or have already spent on R&D for the C7. Whatever they do I'm sure that it will still be a beautiful car that will run with the best out there but after 15 years with the current platform I think that GM must come out with something all new for the Corvette sales figures to rebound. If people arent exited there not going to line up for it. Just my .02
No, the problem is they got a bailout. Do people that get bailouts learn their lesson and change their ways?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Marvolus
Intermediate

Default Sorry to burst your bubble !!!!

Originally Posted by goatts
It's not going to be warmed over. There will be many changes including a new engine. It just won't be a completely new car. Nothing wrong with that. Corvette has always been about steady improvement.

Also C4 was a completely new car with huge improvement to handling. Read Dave McLellan's book.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, the problem is they got a bailout. Do people that get bailouts learn their lesson and change their ways?
No, unfortunatly they usually don't.....
Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Well I hope the legacy lives because because that's all your going to have left Mr Marvolus. Read my response above in #10.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

It so happens that you are a bit off base. I was given a ZR1 to drive by GM for 2 weeks as part of a marketing campaign here in So Cal. (see my post in the C6 General forum). Yesterday I got a call from GM marketing in Detroit to get my impressions of the ZR1. We spoke for 20 minutes and i was able to find out that the C7 will be out sometime in 2012 as a 2013 model if all goes as scheduled. The interior/seats problems that many bitch about will be addressed. And, the C7 will have a front mounted V8 with direct injection. The fact that it a direct injection engine equates to a new engine.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

I know that 2012 as a MY 2013 is not set in stone, but that is some great news.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Marvelous you can't spell and I'm convinced your just a virus on this forum.
2. The c6 isn't a modified c5. Compare the 6 speed ls1 combo to the specs of the 6 speed ls2. And that is only part of it.
3. Goatts you talk about Obama like he's the Hitler of corvettedom. Please god shut up you know so very little of what your actually talkin about.
4. The c7 won't be just a c6.5 come on folks. the engine alone should tell you that. regardless, the 911 hasn't received huge overhauls every 5 years and its doin good don't ya think?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Production

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
1. Marvelous you can't spell and I'm convinced your just a virus on this forum.
2. The c6 isn't a modified c5. Compare the 6 speed ls1 combo to the specs of the 6 speed ls2. And that is only part of it.
3. Goatts you talk about Obama like he's the Hitler of corvettedom. Please god shut up you know so very little of what your actually talkin about.
4. The c7 won't be just a c6.5 come on folks. the engine alone should tell you that. regardless, the 911 hasn't received huge overhauls every 5 years and its doin good don't ya think?
I think you're right, Mr Marvelous is a fake. If you don't like my comments about Obama then I will absolutely stop making them this instant. Porsche is constantly improving the 911, every year.

Oh, by the way, Obama is arrogant and incompetant. Oops! I didn't say that!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Steve Grilli , the Corvette assembly plant quality engineer, said last night at the East Tennessee Corvette Club meeting that the C7 will be a short run production. GM is focusing now on the C8!!

This coincides with the rumor that the C7 will be a warmed over C6.

Tom
This really makes no sense to me at all. Why would GM, a company needing to trim fat and increase profitability, waste time and money on a "short run" production? They will still have to retool the plant, produce or buy the parts, train the workers and techs, spend money on marketing, etc... All this for what? A model that is a fill in until the "real" next generation comes out? Who would buy it? Sure there will be a few that might for it's potential collectability. However, for the most part I would think most would just hold on to their money for that "real" next generation. Surely the MBA's at the top of GM can see this.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Marvolus
Intermediate

Default As I said

Wow! That's exciting! Small electric and hybrid! You mean like the Volt, a $16k car with a $25k battery? This sounds like Obama's crap and it will ruin your company. There's more to Corvette than profit, it gets peoples attention. Look at how well Ford's doing and they are putting a new engine in Mustang.

I can do without your smartass comments about bursting my bubble. I don't have a bubble but I may buy a Porsche instead of a C7.
I don't care what you buy I just give you the facts I run the preproduction tooling on all blocks we run the unapproved AKA ( preproduction tooling ) usually 3 to 5 years before it is put into products I have run all of the GEN tooling all GEN blocks weather they are 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 GEN 3 or 4 are the same block weather they are iron or aluminum the only diffrence is the barrel core assembly for the bore thickness the only diffrence between the GEN 3 & a GEN 4 is the way the oil is run through the block the GEN 5 yes will be a direct injected engine but that will not change the block it will still be the same block as the prior castings GEN 3 & 4 All Blocks & heads are preproduction cast in iron becouse it is more forgiving to work with I don't mean to come off wrong but this is what is going on becouse of the money problems within GM & the Governments standards placed on the Auto Companys I'm not saying GM has given up the Corvette it's just not the number one thing on the drawing board at this time be happy that GM didn't go under The Corvette will have its day again just not today remember good things come to those who wait The C3 ran 15 yrs. The C4 ran 12 yrs in good times it may take a min. To best the C6 it is a great auto THE ZR-1 is amazing the camaros are tail grabin' the vettes behind & the Caddys not to shabby either think Whatever you want I'm just a car guy that happens to work in the field I love all autos I have several a 67 Firebird with a 2008 6.0 GEN 4 about 600 hp 51000 miles , a 67 Bonneville 2 dr hardtop 335 hp all factory, a 80 Z28 all factory 52000 miles, a 66 Impala wagon 396 built about 420 hp, a 84 Corvette my summer time daily driver & project in progress BUT MY FAVORITE or as my woman says MY BABY then I have my winter rides my 97 Cadillac Deville DeElegance & my 420 SEL Mercedes or my 2 pickups a parts hauler & 1 to tow with as I also race 3 go karts that each will run over 100 mph NOW GO TAKE UER MEDS ................ !!!!!!!! Have a great day

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Production