C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque setting for pressure plate bolts (Textralia)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM
XavZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque setting for pressure plate bolts (Textralia)

I'm currently installing my Textralia Z-grip and i'm now in the process of installing the cover.

Does anybody know the torque setting of the pressure plate bolts?

I've read 23ft/lbs and also 55ft/lbs.

p.s.
a high end 1400$ clutch and not even an installation instruction included.
It's pathetic.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

55 lbs/ft will work and make sure you put red loctite on the threads.
I forgot to add, this is a great clutch, mine has been if for 4 years and has hads tons of abuse and is still going strong,,,,just make sure you break it in properly! That's the key to making this clutch last and work the way it's supposed to. There have been a bunch of complaints about the Tex 0Z700 on this forum, but I suspect that the problems were mainly caused by improper break-in.
Jimbo

Last edited by ZZOOM06; 11-07-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 AM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Fastener Tightening Specifications
Application
Specification

Metric
English

Clutch Actuator Cylinder Mounting Bolts
12 N·m
106 lb in

Clutch Pedal Bracket Mounting Nuts
27 N·m
20 lb ft

Clutch Pedal Nut
50 N·m
37 lb ft

Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts¹
70 N·m
52 lb ft

Cruise Control Release Switch Bracket Retaining Bolts
12 N·m
106 lb in

Driver Foot Rest Bracket Retaining Bolt
8 N·m
71 lb in

Driver Foot Rest Bracket Retaining Nut
10 N·m
89 lb in

Engine Flywheel Inspection Cover Retaining Bolts
25 N·m
18 lb ft

Negative Battery Cable Bolt
15 N·m
11 lb ft

¹Clutch pressure plate bolts must be tightened in sequence and in even increments over three passes, then tightened to final specification on the fourth pass.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM
XavZ06
Instructor

Thanks,

i have those tightening specifications, however the bolts are not the same as stock GM bolts, i'm unsure if the same torque settings apply. I need to be sure.

Also tightening the bolts in 4 passes with locktite applied looks pretty impossible, there is not enough time before the locktite sets.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:03 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by XavZ06
Thanks,

i have those tightening specifications, however the bolts are not the same as stock GM bolts, i'm unsure if the same torque settings apply. I need to be sure.

Also tightening the bolts in 4 passes with locktite applied looks pretty impossible, there is not enough time before the locktite sets.
Not sure what your talking about. Blue loctite is not fully cured for 24 hours.

Also, if we do not know what type of bolts you are using, how can one recommend a torque value?

Last edited by lucky131969; 11-07-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Bolt torque is determined by bolt size and material being clamped together. If the bolts are the same size as the OEM and I would assume similar material the same torque spec would be correct.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:03 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Here is a link to a chart that deals specifically with bolt grade and material. There are other charts that will deal with material being clamped together, for example aluminum to steel. Baldor used to publish a little pocket book that had those handy numbers for electricians working on switch gear bus bars etc..

http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/A_Fas...rqueCharts.pdf
Old 11-07-2010, 05:53 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by PEERPSI
Bolt torque is determined by bolt size and material being clamped together. If the bolts are the same size as the OEM and I would assume similar material the same torque spec would be correct.
...and "assuming" is how people make mistakes. Also, the type of lube, loctite, etc....also determines what value a bolt is torqued to. I like to have all the info.....but..to each their own.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Well if you'd like to do some further evaluation and a bit of math consider the information found at this link.

http://www.loctite.com.au/cps/rde/xc...0_AUS_HTML.htm

The factory manual does not specify what condition the torque spec applies to. If it were me I would determine my bolt grade and size. Look it up on a chart to determine if the torque spec matches the dry or lubricated column then apply the factor loctite recommends at the link above if the torque spec appears to be for dry.

If I were from France I would test my bolt torques using this method: http://www.guba.com/watch/3000009652
Old 11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

You should have instructions with the clutch. Mine were:

75 N·m with Red Loctite, or 55 lb-ft

I did mine in steps on my back with a flywheel wrench to turn and hold the flywheel. Not a lot of fun but doable. Biggest thing to know in advance, your motor will be loud when you re-start because all the lifters will have bled down after rotating the flywheel so many times. Also, there is a torque pattern. Number the pressure plate per the pattern, makes it much easier to keep track of your steps.

Last edited by vettenuts; 11-16-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by PEERPSI
Well if you'd like to do some further evaluation and a bit of math consider the information found at this link.

http://www.loctite.com.au/cps/rde/xc...0_AUS_HTML.htm

The factory manual does not specify what condition the torque spec applies to. If it were me I would determine my bolt grade and size. Look it up on a chart to determine if the torque spec matches the dry or lubricated column then apply the factor loctite recommends at the link above if the torque spec appears to be for dry.

If I were from France I would test my bolt torques using this method: http://www.guba.com/watch/3000009652
.....rock on
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
XavZ06
Instructor

I've got confirmation from Textralia, when using the ARP bolts provided with the clutch torque settings are 25 ft lbs.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
XavZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
55 lbs/ft will work and make sure you put red loctite on the threads.
I forgot to add, this is a great clutch, mine has been if for 4 years and has hads tons of abuse and is still going strong,,,,just make sure you break it in properly! That's the key to making this clutch last and work the way it's supposed to. There have been a bunch of complaints about the Tex 0Z700 on this forum, but I suspect that the problems were mainly caused by improper break-in.
Jimbo
Hi Jimbo, can you explain to me what is the proper break-in method for this clutch?

Thanks, Xav
Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I've got confirmation from Textralia, when using the ARP bolts provided with the clutch torque settings are 25 ft lbs.
That values appears to be very low.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Jimbo, can you explain to me what is the proper break-in method for this clutch?

Thanks, Xav
My Tex clutch came with ARP fasteners and the info sheet stated to torque the pressure plate bolts to 55ft.lbs.
As far as breaking it in, just do alot of city driving for the first 500 miles or so, lots of up and down shifting, no high rpm power shifts or hard launches, that's what I did and it worked out fine.

Jimbo
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
XavZ06
Instructor

Yes i think i have ARP fastners as well, i will check tomorrow.

Anyways i called textralia Australia just a minute ago and i got an answer from them: 55ft lbs for the cover bolts with locktite.

Idiot me i called them at 5 in the morning without thinking and they actually picked up the phone. oops

for your information the previous information (25 ft lbs) came from vengeance racing.

This is their website by the way:
http://www.texracecars.com.au/textra...iscount_coupon

australia dialing code is 61

I think we can conclude it is 55 ft lbs

Tomorrow the Z is going back together, my ECS brace arrived as well

Originally Posted by ZZOOM06
My Tex clutch came with ARP fasteners and the info sheet stated to torque the pressure plate bolts to 55ft.lbs.
As far as breaking it in, just do alot of city driving for the first 500 miles or so, lots of up and down shifting, no high rpm power shifts or hard launches, that's what I did and it worked out fine.

Jimbo

Last edited by XavZ06; 11-18-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2010, 03:55 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

When I installed mine, Peter from Australia called me a couple of times to help and provide information.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque setting for pressure plate bolts (Textralia)

Quick Reply: Torque setting for pressure plate bolts (Textralia)