C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 Windshield Replacement?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Nikko
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1965 Windshield Replacement?

My car has the original windshield in it, but is scratched pretty badly from years of use. I think it's beyond being polished because you can feel the scratches with your nails. Where would be the best place to buy a replacement if I go that route? Is there a reason to try to hang on to the original?

Thanks - Nikko
Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...tallation.html
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

When the windshield is out clean and paint the area that the windshield covers when it is in place.
Also buy new clips for the window trim(Paragon clips)also but new screws with special flat head that screws the clips in place.Have the clips screwes in place before you start the job. Note that there is a different clips on coupes and convertibles.
This is how i did it
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...e-no-rust.html

But most important get a shop that really knows what they are doing if you are not doing the job yourself.

Last edited by TheSaint; 11-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

I'd also do a little asking and checking on the forum here about which windshield gasket is best to use along with the new windshield. Several past posts have indicated that some of the replacement gaskets are larger than the originals causing problems in getting the stainless molding to seat and clip into the retainers . . . .

Old 11-02-2010, 03:55 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I used a gasket from Ecklers and that fit but to be sure i took out the old gasket in one piece and cleaned it just in cause(i have had also heard about the thick gaskets)I could reuse that if i wanted to.
Note that i bought this gasket from Ecklers several years ago so i dont know how they are now.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
I'd also do a little asking and checking on the forum here about which windshield gasket is best to use along with the new windshield. Several past posts have indicated that some of the replacement gaskets are larger than the originals causing problems in getting the stainless molding to seat and clip into the retainers . . . .

Get your w/s weatherstriping from Corvette Rubber Co. It is probably the only one that is dimensionally correct and you can get it from Wilcox Corvette who is one of the forum vendors. I initially bought one from Paragon but when I called them and asked who supplied them, they would not confirm nor would they deny that it was Corvette Rubber Co., so I sent it back.
Also, use ONLY the original GM w/s clips, all the others are quite different and not easy, if not impossible, to use. Just ask me, I have $70.00 worth of clips from LIC in my garage drawer that are useless.
Most importantly, use a professional glass shop so that if the w/s cracks the breakage is on their shoulders. The installation charge is well worth the piece of mind. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Nikko
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx guys! I think I'm going to have it done since I haven't done it before and I'm having leakage problems now. At least now I know where to order everything from though.

I guess there is no point in holding on to the original huh? Now I just need to decide if it's worth it to get a date coded one or not. The car is currently all original except for the color.

Thanks again - Nikko
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 PM
VetteTechZ16
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually the stainless problem is the lack of new clips or reporoduction stainless... If you want the RIGHT parts and fair prices just got to Long Island Corvette. If your car is the wrong color and someone cares enough to go back to the original, they will pull the glass to paint, at least we do... I would say to go with dated glass if you intend on selling the car in the near future otherwise, save the money.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikko
Thx guys! I think I'm going to have it done since I haven't done it before and I'm having leakage problems now. At least now I know where to order everything from though.

I guess there is no point in holding on to the original huh? Now I just need to decide if it's worth it to get a date coded one or not. The car is currently all original except for the color.

Thanks again - Nikko
If you've got the space, I'd say hang on to the original. Right now it looks like it's worthless, but that's the same way LOTS of removed parts were in the past. Lots of things we threw away, we wish we had the foresight to have saved . . . . .

Who knows what the future may bring . . . . . . .

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 Windshield Replacement?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 Windshield Replacement?