C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter storage - gas tank full ??

Old 10-17-2010, 09:09 PM
madbelgian
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter storage - gas tank full ??

What is everyone's opinion on putting a car to bed for the winter, should the gas tank be full?

I know of the theory that a full tank will prevent water vapor in the headspace from condensing water into the gas, but what is the disadvantage of a full tank of stale gas at the end of winter?

I always stored my former 350Z with a 1/4 tank of gas for the winter and never had problems (starting or other) in the spring.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the popular notion is to put a fresh tank full in to combat the moisture and that modern gasoline can handle sitting in a full tank for at least 6 months without issue. You can always add a measured amount of Sta-Bil just before filling it up.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
TonyD22
Instructor

I put my 12 month old acura TL into outdoor overhead cover storage in Germany for 16 months while I was deployed with 1/4 tank of gas and stabil/heet treatment. Started right up when I got back, never an issue.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:35 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO, especially since most gas now contains ethanol (which is known to absorb water), I'd want as little air space in the tanks as possible to minimize any source of moisture.

As to gas getting stale, I've stored vehicles with and without stabilizer over the winter (5 months). Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, stating that gas can become stale after 1 month, I haven't had issues either way, but I wouldn't go more that 5-6 months without treating it. One thing I do notice whenever I treat the gas is the engines run sluggishly on that fuel - so it may not go 'bad' in the sense that it forms varnish or whatever else stale fuel does, but the treated stuff runs like crap for me. I just work through as much of it as possible in the spring and just fill up on fresh gas, it will be good as new.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

gas tank full, and put sta-bil in all my ones I store, why? because someone of knowledge told me to many years ago...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
gas tank full, and put sta-bil in all my ones I store, why? because someone of knowledge told me to many years ago...
Hey, yeah...gas freezes in Canada if ya don't use da Sta-Bil, eh?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Hey, yeah...gas freezes in Canada if ya don't use da Sta-Bil, eh?
Heated garage...
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That idea of storing with a full tank had more to due with an era of steel tanks and cold storage. With current abs tanks condensation does not effect them and most gasoline is E10 and will absorb the moisture.

I did follow that until last year when I was storing five motorcycles and six vehicles. I decided that I would save money on StaBil and not fill the gas tanks full as I had done every year then added the required amount of StaBil.

When spring came the gasoline was 40 cents higher a gallon than when they went into storage. My savings on Stabil was wiped out many times over.

The garage is heated to 65 degrees in the winter and is very constant. It is unlikely that any condensation occurs.

In 5 or 6 weeks I will have to decide if I will fill the tanks or not. Anyone know what the price of gas will be next April?

StaBil also cleans injectors. I have stored many vehicles for many years and have always used StaBil. StaBil is also an injector cleaner. My vehicles start immediately when they are first used after storage which with some can be up to ten months. They run exceptionally well. So, it is difficult to believe that they would run poorly after use.

The life of gasoline starting to deteriorate after four weeks is from chemical engineers in the refining industries and not from lay person testimonials.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-17-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Canis lupus
Melting Slicks

yes full tank and Sta-bil
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
IMO, especially since most gas now contains ethanol (which is known to absorb water), I'd want as little air space in the tanks as possible to minimize any source of moisture.

As to gas getting stale, I've stored vehicles with and without stabilizer over the winter (5 months). Contrary to what I have read elsewhere, stating that gas can become stale after 1 month, I haven't had issues either way, but I wouldn't go more that 5-6 months without treating it. One thing I do notice whenever I treat the gas is the engines run sluggishly on that fuel - so it may not go 'bad' in the sense that it forms varnish or whatever else stale fuel does, but the treated stuff runs like crap for me. I just work through as much of it as possible in the spring and just fill up on fresh gas, it will be good as new.

Heated garage above freezing. Stored 4-5 months with top-tier gas with no additives and no problems.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I never have more then a 1/2 tank that way I have room for fresh GS in the spring.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:19 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I add sta-bil and fill the tank. Then I go for a drive -- to allow the sta-bil to mix in both tanks AND circulate thru the system.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Have been storing vehicles and boats for close to 30 years. I always add Stabil.

Do not add Stabil right before you put car away in garage it will not mix and get into all the places you want it to. Duel tanks take a while to mix and also work into the delivery system.

My method is to go to the station about 5 miles from house add correct amount of Stabil and then fill up and drive home. Then wash car good, put in garage, raise air to 40 pounds in tires, hook up tender, cover car, and then wait a long time till spring
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Where I live the car never sits for more than three months. I just park it after a good drive (at normal operating temperature). I try to have about 1/2 tank of fuel so that I can add fresh when spring returns. I have stored an automobile (1961 Oldsmobile) in a heated garage without adding Stabil, for more than two years. I wasn't planning to store that long, it just happened. I just had that car out this past weekend with two year old fuel and never noticed any change in operation/performance. I though this will be interesting, it just started and ran normally.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Always full tank and Sta-bil. Whether it's winter storage of the motorcycle and Vette or Summer storage of the snowmobiles. With all the additives and that evil Ethanol crud, you have to be SURE to use sta-bil. No doubt.

Get notified of new replies

To winter storage - gas tank full ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winter storage - gas tank full ??