C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof recall = totalled vette

Old 10-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Roof recall = totalled vette

UPDATE!!!!

I have come to an agreement with Koenen regarding replacement of my beloved corvette. I will be driving another fine example of americas greatest sportscar in the near Future

Dealer Hein Koenen in Echt the Netherlands is responsible for this. The car was there for the roof recall and this is what they returned. Can you see the freshly painted new roof? The Owner of the Dealership wrecked the car, he says he was doing 30mph but I suspect it was more than double that. He hit 2 trees, a ditch and a lorry. The biggest problem is, the insurance will refund the blue book value. These cars cost in excess of 100.000 Euros new, this car was bought new from Koenen. It was a Z51 full options 6 speed car. They didn't do a thing to make it right. Instead they are trying to even make money off a new one. The new ones go for about 120.000 euros and it was offered for 100.000. The real deal is that the car in question is sitting in a German lot and it's already on sale there for that exact same amount (+ our insane tax) so instead of trying to work this out in a satisfying way he's trying to make money on selling me a new vette to replace the one he totalled. That's 50.000 euros (over 80.000$) out of my pocket because he had to take a drive in my car. Look at the speedo stuck @ 65mph (it's in km) and the overall damage to the car. Koenen in Echt is responsible for this

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 10-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Sorry to see this, I am sure you have a legal system there where you can sue them for the difference in your loss.
I think i would pursue all avenues available to me so they don't walk off scot free.
Good luck, and yeah, scumbag dealers aren't only in the USA
Old 10-09-2010, 02:55 PM
kornyboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the question you have to ask is: why was he driving it at all? I hate that this happened to you. Good luck getting them to make it right.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Nope, the insurance settles it and that's that. I'm left w/ a 50K dent and no corvette, they are playing as if nothing has happened. Somehow they even arranged to get their name held out of the papers and online articles, even the official police statement doesn't list the car, the dealer or the drivers name (dealership owner). They quickly pulled the car off the street and dumped it in one of their warehouses. Koenen in Echt won't do anything to make it right. He just wants to make more money after wrecking the car.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 10-10-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:00 PM
kornyboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Nope, the insurance settles it and that's that. I'm left w/ a 50K dent and no corvette, they are playing as if nothing has happened. Somehow they even arranged to get their name held out of the papers and online articles, even the official police statement doesn't list the car, the dealer or the drivers name (dealership owner). They quickly pulled the car off the street and dumped it in one of their warehouses. Koenen in Echt is a scumbag dealer, he won't do anything to make it right. He just wants to make more money after wrecking the car.
Man that stinks. That leaves them with absolutely no accountability for what they did. They would be all over you or me if we had taken one of their cars on a test drive and wrecked it.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

wow...that's terrible!

Did you ask him why he was driving it?

it certainly looks that the car was moving faster than 30 mph
Old 10-09-2010, 03:12 PM
160KTS
Burning Brakes

Wow, if that was in the States you would have more options. So what is insurance paying you for the car?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:22 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. That is completely inexcusable.

If the wreck didnt kill him, I think I would! I cant believe you cant sue them. Their insurance should replace the car for you with a similarly equuiped vette of the same year if not newer. I am absolutely astonished that they are hanging you out to dry like that.

Dont give up. Here in the states, bad PR can put a dealer out of business.
Make as much noise as you can. I would persue every TV news station and news paper to let the public know of your situation.

Get a junker car and park it in front of their dealership with a big sign on it that says: "Koenen Crashed My Vette And Wont Replace It!" Buy a domain name called "Koenenwreckedmycar.de" and put your story out there. Make sure the search engines pick you up. Then let them know about the sites once you have it up and perhaps the bad PR will be enough to get them to do something. Like I said, just dont give up! Be all over them like flies on $hit. I would even picket them if you have to! Stand out in front of the dealership and hand out fliers of your story to every potential customer. They are way to shady to get away with that!

Heck, I would even send them a letter on your behalf letting them know that I am in the internet business and I will make it my lifes work to insure that every customer who does an internet search on their establishment will know the story about them wrecking a customers car and then hanging him out to dry. Seriously! This kind of crap really pisses me off! F'n low life dealer!

Are these guys authorized Chevy dealers? If so, you can also file a complaint with GM. Not sure if it will do any good but the more noise you make and the more you disrupt the business, the more they will want to put it behind them.

Last edited by slief; 10-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:23 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
wow...that's terrible!

More like 130mph. If you can't do anything legally then you should pick one or more of the expensive cars at his dealer and bash the sh** out of them. That way your even. That made me furious and it's not even my car.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm shocked that you have no other recourse other than insurance. Surely there must be a court of law in your country for damages. The "owner" of the dealership was not authorized to drive your car, only fix it. This is just wrong. Ask an attorney.

What about the police records of the crash? Find the report and any other incriminating evidence.
This is not a simple oops and this idiot owes you a new car, period. If anything, he should be providing a loaner to you right now for your trouble!!

Last edited by BSE1956; 10-11-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:08 PM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you can't lawyer up? What a shame here in the US I bet you would get a new car plus punative damages.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:09 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I can't believe that your system of law does not allow for you to seek justice from this guy. Why would he even be driving it to begin with? If you took the Vette in for roof recall.....why would he need to drive it? Who was riding in the car with him? If the passenger airbag deployed that means someone was in the passenger seat when the wreck occured. There is a sensor in the seat and unless there is a passenger that (passenger bag) will NOT deploy.

I am afraid making a complaint with GM will do little. Dealers are independent from GM in that things like this are NOT shared liability. The one liable here is the man who decided he would take your Vette for a 'joy' ride and unfortunatley had a bad out come. I would ask who was riding in the car with the driver. Then question that person. Did they end up in the hospital?

It is difficult for me to comprehend that your system of law will not allow you to seek satisfaction? There must be some kind of avenue you could persue? I remember when I was in the service stationed in Greece, they had some really warped laws there. If we had a American car there, and it was wrecked we (American) would have to PAY the Greeks to take the car.....no joke. What will happen with the wrecked Vette? I would speak to a attorney to explore any avenue of satisfaction. Is there no way you could sue him for bad mangement practices perhaps? There must be something....

Another thought is maybe come over to US and buy a replacement car and ship it back over....the dollar is very weak against European (Euro) currancy so YOUR Euro will buy you much more here in in the US.....you could replace it here.....however what are stipulations to bring a American car into Netherlands? I know I like to vacation there but however because dollar is weak against your currancy....that vacation trip now costs me 50% MORE....just a thought....

Last edited by tim414; 10-09-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

European laws are stupid. Talk to a lawyer. You didn't authorize hI'm to drive your car. Start making noise with the press. He is making money parting out your car. Don't believe what his insurance or he is telling you.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
I can't believe that your system of law does not allow for you to seek justice from this guy. Why would he even be driving it to begin with? If you took the Vette in for roof recall.....why would he need to drive it? Who was riding in the car with him? If the passenger airbag deployed that means someone was in the passenger seat when the wreck occured. There is a sensor in the seat and unless there is a passenger that (passenger bag) will NOT deploy.

I am afraid making a complaint with GM will do little. Dealers are independent from GM in that things like this are NOT shared liability. The one liable here is the man who decided he would take your Vette for a 'joy' ride and unfortunatley had a bad out come. I would ask who was riding in the car with the driver. Then question that person. Did they end up in the hospital?

It is difficult for me to comprehend that your system of law will not allow you to seek satisfaction? There must be some kind of avenue you could persue? I remember when I was in the service stationed in Greece, they had some really warped laws there. If we had a American car there, and it was wrecked we (American) would have to PAY the Greeks to take the car.....no joke. What will happen with the wrecked Vette? I would speak to a attorney to explore any avenue of satisfaction. Is there no way you could sue him for bad mangement practices perhaps? There must be something....

Another thought is maybe come over to US and buy a replacement car and ship it back over....the dollar is very weak against European (Euro) currancy so YOUR Euro will buy you much more here in in the US.....you could replace it here.....however what are stipulations to bring a American car into Netherlands? I know I like to vacation there but however because dollar is weak against your currancy....that vacation trip now costs me 50% MORE....just a thought....
maybe you can use the info in the "Black Box" we all have one that details what the car was doing the last few seconds before the crash

Clif

Clif
Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Maybe take a new one out for a test drive and run it off a cliff!!! After you get out that is, "darn it must have slipped out of gear"!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Holy Mackerel!!!!!! That is just terrible, not only for you but for the reputation of that dealership.

As said, I hope you have a good legal system but I think I know better....

And don't think your tax system is bad----we'll be catching up to you shortly. Unfortunately....
Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Nope, the insurance settles it and that's that. I'm left w/ a 50K dent and no corvette, they are playing as if nothing has happened. Somehow they even arranged to get their name held out of the papers and online articles, even the official police statement doesn't list the car, the dealer or the drivers name (dealership owner). They quickly pulled the car off the street and dumped it in one of their warehouses. Koenen in Echt is a scumbag dealer, he won't do anything to make it right. He just wants to make more money after wrecking the car.
Man you need to move. That is not happening in the USA!

Should be no problem! Judge see's that happened while they had it!
There toast!

Get notified of new replies

To Roof recall = totalled vette

Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

It appears there was a passenger at time of impact as well.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Man you need to move. That is not happening in the USA!

Should be no problem! Judge see's that happened while they had it!
There toast!
do you think that some court/insurance is going to make him whole in this country? I'm not sure what year C6 that is, but I'd guess an '07 or earlier. What's a totaled Vette owner get vs. the price of a new one, regardless of who is at fault? just asking...
Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Originally Posted by c54u
wow...that's terrible!

Supposedly he had the car @ his home where his paint shop is adjacent to (so he says, I have no idea whether this is true or not), the rood was painted an he was bringing it back. It's all fishy though as it happened around 6:30 in the morning and I never saw the "old" roof, in fact the roof on the car may very well be the original that it came with. I was too heartbroken to take a detailed look. This car was my passion, it had 50.000km (about 30K miles) on it and it was immaculate, I bought it new (from them), there was not a scratch on it.

What surprises me is the pass. side airbag has deployed, I didn't think it would with no one in the pass seat. He said he was driving it alone. Must have been driving it like he stole it.

I never even heard from Hein Koenen (the guy who wrecked it), he broke his hand and a leg. I even sent him flowers & a get well card to his hospital bed. I thought he'd be a stand up guy and make good upon it, it all being his fault. Turns out he's a weasel trying to make more money off me selling me a car to replace the one he totalled.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 10-09-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof recall = totalled vette