C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Courtesy lights stay on my 1994 c4

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Courtesy lights stay on my 1994 c4

Just bought this torch red c4 and the inside lights stay on for 15 minutes period ----doors open or closed --night or day --key on or off It's not the dimmer switch, and not the door or hatch switches. Can disable by pulling fuse #37 and #38 (which kills the radio)(I could just pull the bulbs) but I hope someone knows about this . I suspect a relay or timer. Would be ok to bypass defective module if I knew what it was and how to do it. Many thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!!!!! For questions about your C4 head over to the C4 General Forum and ask. The owners there will help you. Good luck and enjoy the Forums.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...discussion-34/
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the Forum

I had the same issue but it could be a couple of different things so like Rick T said the C4 forum is the place for the answers and they will get you fixed up.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
auggy
Pro

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Welcome to the forum..
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM
MikeSVO
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

DAMMIT! I was hoping for an answer here... lol I'm having the same issue with my 93. But it doesn't always do it. I've checked the 3 door plungers, and they're all adjusted pretty well, I think. The DOOR AJAR light does NOT come on when the courtesy lights stay on, either. It's so annoying at night! Just tonight I was coming up the highway, and *bink* - they shut off! > Weird. I'm trying to find a sort of pattern.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The courtesy lights are turned on by the light switch (full CCW rotation of the headlight switch) or by the courtesy light delay timer which turns on the light relay when any of the LH or RH door jamb switches are activated by opening the door. The door jamb switches ground the light delay relay coil. The causes of the courtesy lights staying on is either the light switch, the door jamb switches, the wiring to these switches being shorted to ground or a defective light delay timer.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeSVO
DAMMIT! I was hoping for an answer here... lol I'm having the same issue with my 93. But it doesn't always do it. I've checked the 3 door plungers, and they're all adjusted pretty well, I think. The DOOR AJAR light does NOT come on when the courtesy lights stay on, either. It's so annoying at night! Just tonight I was coming up the highway, and *bink* - they shut off! > Weird. I'm trying to find a sort of pattern.
Check your rear hatch switch.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
auggy
Pro

Originally Posted by jfb
The courtesy lights are turned on by the light switch (full CCW rotation of the headlight switch) or by the courtesy light delay timer which turns on the light relay when any of the LH or RH door jamb switches are activated by opening the door. The door jamb switches ground the light delay relay coil. The causes of the courtesy lights staying on is either the light switch, the door jamb switches, the wiring to these switches being shorted to ground or a defective light delay timer.
Thanks for getting back to me. The car is a 1994. A couple of more facts (clues). The light sensor is supposed to not turn on any of these lights if the ambient light is bright enough, but they all go on(cargo, door, and foot). The glass is tinted but I have shined a light and left all doors open so the light sensor does not seem to be doing its job. Also, the lights do go out after 15 minutes ( I think it is supposed to be 10 minutes) as long as I do not close and open the door again, in which case the cycle starts over again for another 15 minutes. The lights do this also(stay on) when it's dark, which is a prob. It sounds like you understand electrical diagnosis so I would appreciate it if you could get back to me. Super thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 AM
auggy
Pro

I believe the timer is supposed to shut off your lights after 10 minutes as long as you don't open the door again.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:29 AM
cal55
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's more like a minute before they go off. It sounds like a defective light delay timer to me too. If you have a FSM (factory service manual) I would try troubleshooting it from there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Joe
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by cal55
I think it's more like a minute before they go off.
That's true if you close the door, or the car "thinks" all doors and hatch are closed.
But if you leave the door or hatch open, the lights will stay on a good 10 minutes before the timer shuts them off.
Above is for my '96 anyway.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:36 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about not answering sooner :o While driving the interior lights were coming on in my car from time to time and sometimes the door ajar light but not always. Sometimes the interior lights would stay on when I got out and locked the car. The first thing I checked was the plungers on both doors and hatch but all looked fine with the wires, operation and adjustment. Driving to work one moring when it was dark the lights started going crazy and it looked like a light show going down the road. I bought all three switches and started with the drivers side because that looked like it had the most wear but still had the light show going on. The passenger side switch looked almost new and seem to work fine but must have had a internal short because after that was changed no more problems and it's been almost a year now. The hatch has yet to be replaced but will get around to it some day. Hope this helps with your car and if not there are guys here that know way more about this than I do. Good luck
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Indynick
Instructor

I have a similar problem with my 95 convertible. My battery would not start my car the other day. I checked the cables, and one was dirty, but before I cleaned it, I checked my warranty and found the battery was 6 years old, so I took my other car to work, and picked up a new battery on the way home. When I got home, something in the car was clicking. I replaced the battery, and now the interior lights will not turn off when I walk away. They turn off when I start the car, like they are suppose to.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
auggy
Pro

Originally Posted by Indynick
I have a similar problem with my 95 convertible. My battery would not start my car the other day. I checked the cables, and one was dirty, but before I cleaned it, I checked my warranty and found the battery was 6 years old, so I took my other car to work, and picked up a new battery on the way home. When I got home, something in the car was clicking. I replaced the battery, and now the interior lights will not turn off when I walk away. They turn off when I start the car, like they are suppose to.
My lights do not turn off when I start the car c4 1994. They stay on for about 15 minutes then shut off. If I open the door then it's another 15 minutes. Maybe I''ll start a new thread looking for a sharp electrical person. The door and hatch switches seem to be working because of the door ajar light works with them.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Indynick
Instructor

My lights are fixed now. I tried the suggestion of checking if the door key slots were straight up and down, and they were, but just for grins, I worked the key back and forth a few times, on both doors, and now the lights function as they should. Thanks to all who made this suggestion, on many threads. The CorvetteForum rocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights stay on my 1994 c4

Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
TC4Vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but glad I caught it...Thanks Indy...same problem here with the ctsy lights on all the time but did the Key jiggle in the doors and presto..(Man that was killing me along with the battery)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Indynick
Instructor

I am glad it worked. I have used it a few times over the years.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
I believe the timer is supposed to shut off your lights after 10 minutes as long as you don't open the door again.
more like 30 seconds

Quick Reply: Courtesy lights stay on my 1994 c4