C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?
I am FOR it
35.93%
I am AGAINST it
64.07%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

The Black Box

Old 10-02-2010, 05:10 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Black Box

As most C5 & C6 owners know, there is a "BLACK BOX" inside our cars. It records the last few seconds prior to impact. It will record vehicle speed, % of brakes being applied, throttle position, RPM, etc.

In a serious accident, the black box info can be downloaded and then used against you in both criminal and civil charges.

With that being said. Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?

"Sheriff said they took the BLACK BOX from the corvette and down loaded the info. for the DA and the Vette was doing 157 MPHwhen he passed the St. Croix Co. cop prior to loosing control and when into a side way skid for 888 feet when he hit the tree. Otherwise the car would have gone thru the house and into the Apple River. Parts of the car were on the roof of the house and the driver is alive and in the hospital .The woman passenger nearly died but is now recovering."

Last edited by LBear; 10-02-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:55 AM
SCoach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't drive like an idiot, so I don't really care all that much. The illusion of privacy for the private citizen was broken many, many years ago.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, the days of "cruising" are coming to an end. I really believe it that in my lifetime, I will see an end to recreational driving or it will be taxed to death. The Black Box was the beginning of the ball rolling.

There was an Oregon congressman that wanted to test having a government GPS unit in every car so a tax could be imposed on the miles driven. The proposal was H.R. 3311

He stated:

"Oregon has successfully tested a Vehicle Miles Traveled fee, and it is time to expand and test the VMT program across the country," he said in a statement on his website. "It is time to get creative and find smart ways to rebuild and renew America's deteriorating infrastructure," he said.

His plan calls for the Department of the Treasury to study the idea with test GPS-equipped car projects in every state.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
Yep, the days of "cruising" are coming to an end. I really believe it that in my lifetime, I will see an end to recreational driving or it will be taxed to death. The Black Box was the beginning of the ball rolling.

There was an Oregon congressman that wanted to test having a government GPS unit in every car so a tax could be imposed on the miles driven. The proposal was H.R. 3311

He stated:

"Oregon has successfully tested a Vehicle Miles Traveled fee, and it is time to expand and test the VMT program across the country," he said in a statement on his website. "It is time to get creative and find smart ways to rebuild and renew America's deteriorating infrastructure," he said.

His plan calls for the Department of the Treasury to study the idea with test GPS-equipped car projects in every state.
Sorry, but that one is already in full force. You already pay a tax for each mile driven as part of the tax you pay for fuel. You also get to pay some tax for driving in parking lots, at a track day or just idling in your driveway.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 'black box' is part of your air bag system. What'cha got against airbags?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I chose "against," but would have chosen--doesn't matter to me.

Governments are getting very creative in their quest for tax money. Let's say that; you don't register your car for two or three years because you are fixing it all up good as new. You'll have refile ($) the title. Also, if your new C6 is from a dealer, make sure you are not paying fees for a state park sticker unless YOU desire to do it. Yes, it's worthy, but it's underhanded.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I voted for, if it puts some moron in jail for killing someone, that's a good thing. Having said that,this poll is for the paranoids and the paranoids will make the "againsts" win in this one.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I am in the I do not care camp. I really try to enjoy life, and have a good time. All these complaints and theories about our Government sometimes are just over the top. I can find plenty of fault but when you look at other Countries we have it pretty good here in the USA. The Black Box in the Vette is there for a purpose and can be used for more good than bad. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

I too would have opted for "I Don't Care." Not an option, so I didn't vote.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Given the growing Orwellian society we are living in, I believe any vote that does not oppose "black boxes" reflects a desire to live in slavery.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I am against the black box, it doesn't tell the total story. Lets say you tried evasive actions to prevent an accident, including full throttle, increase in speed, reduced braking, etc and the accident occurred in spite of evasive actions taken, though the severity was reduced. The black box will record full throttle, speed increase and reduced braking, it will not show that these actions resulted in reduced damage or the saving of a life. Now fight this in court.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 AM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive responsibly so it does not bother me one bit.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:36 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

I also drive responsibly, but I don't like being 'watched'
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Given the growing Orwellian society we are living in, I believe any vote that does not oppose "black boxes" reflects a desire to live in slavery.
Well said
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
I voted for, if it puts some moron in jail for killing someone, that's a good thing. Having said that,this poll is for the paranoids and the paranoids will make the "againsts" win in this one.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Old 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between Onstar, IPASS ( IL. toll road payment system ) and my cell phone, what's one more thing tracking me going to hurt?

Get notified of new replies

To The Black Box

Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by StanNH
I too would have opted for "I Don't Care." Not an option, so I didn't vote.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Black box? Hell, I'm more worried about that Black helicopter that follows me everywhere. Looks like it's a Black guy flying it...WAIT A MINUTE...BARRACK HUSSEIN ADOLF HITLER KIM JONG GENGHAS KHAN OBAMA!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
As most C5 & C6 owners know, there is a "BLACK BOX" inside our cars. It records the last few seconds prior to impact. It will record vehicle speed, % of brakes being applied, throttle position, RPM, etc.

In a serious accident, the black box info can be downloaded and then used against you in both criminal and civil charges.
You need to face the reality that you gave this one up a while ago when you bought a Corvette with OnStar. You don't account for the fact that the info could also be used in your defense. I'm guessing your assumption is that you would be the guilty party!

If some idiot caused an accident with family or friend of mine, damn right I wouldn't want him to walk because I couldn't use that information.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Black Box