C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F85 Shock / elctronic suspension elimination

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 PM
michc63563
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F85 Shock / elctronic suspension elimination

Looking for some advice on improving my C6 suspension. An having a and e-force super charger installed and wanted to improve the suspension at the same time. It's a stock c6 and I had z51 sway bars installed and am trying to install Bilstein shocks. Problem is I have electronic suspension and F85 shocks that are electronically contolled. If they're unplugged a mil light (check light) goes on and the cars speed is limited to 80mph (who wants that!). I bought a plug in kit from CorvetteGarage who got it from Casperselctronics that is supposed to plug right in and eliminate the issue. Problem is the part we received is close but the locking tab is wrong and it won't plug in. Box says it's for 2005+ and mine is 2007 so that's correct. Part num we have is 109096. My garage guys say they spoke to Casper and described the issue and were told we need part# 109066 but that one is for C4/5. What's up? Is it possible that GM used F85s on my car that were from C4/5 era? CorvertteGarage does not seem to know what's wrong.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM
michc63563
Heel & Toe

One more thing. I guess I interested in whether this make sense to do or whether I should send the Bilsteins back and stick with the electronic adjustable suspension I have??
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by michc63563
One more thing. I guess I interested in whether this make sense to do or whether I should send the Bilsteins back and stick with the electronic adjustable suspension I have??
I wasn't going to post in this thread 'cause I don't have the knowledge you're looking for. But, as to this question........I don't recall anyone going to the trouble to switch out the F55's for a standard shock, Bilstein or anything else. There probably are some who have but I don't know of any. Those who remove the F55's "usually" do it to go to coil overs. A better track set up and pretty nice on the street too.....but spendy.

Here's just a little info, you may want to contact these folks:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572360729-post10.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574586205-post15.html
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I wasn't going to post in this thread 'cause I don't have the knowledge you're looking for. But, as to this question........I don't recall anyone going to the trouble to switch out the F55's for a standard shock, Bilstein or anything else. There probably are some who have but I don't know of any.
My wife and I did it on her C6. Removed her 2007 F55 system for QA1 shocks.

The shock simulators won't work. The C6 F55 system does a self test every so often and it expects to see variable results. The shock sims are resistors that return a fixed result which the system sees as wrong. This is all in the service manual if you read up on the F55 system.

It can be done. You will need a Tech2 unit as part of the solution. Some folks seem to be able to make it go away with just the Tech2 software routine. Others not so much.

Z//
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
My wife and I did it on her C6. Removed her 2007 F55 system for QA1 shocks.

The shock simulators won't work. The C6 F55 system does a self test every so often and it expects to see variable results. The shock sims are resistors that return a fixed result which the system sees as wrong. This is all in the service manual if you read up on the F55 system.

It can be done. You will need a Tech2 unit as part of the solution. Some folks seem to be able to make it go away with just the Tech2 software routine. Others not so much.

Z//
One of your posts is the first one I linked above. I wasn't sure what you had switched to but your experience might help the OP.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
One of your posts is the first one I linked above. I wasn't sure what you had switched to but your experience might help the OP.
Ahh. Ok. I didn't look at the links 'cause I'm thinkin' "who's gonna tell me more about this?"

Z//
Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM
michc63563
Heel & Toe

I ended up using the shock simulators from Kasper Selectronics. Had to change out the connector. They said they only see the ones installed on my 2007 in one of 20 vehicles. No big deal though. The Bilstein shocks have been on for over a month now and no check engine light. Everything works great and the car handles a lot better.

Get notified of new replies

To F85 Shock / elctronic suspension elimination

Quick Reply: F85 Shock / elctronic suspension elimination