Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

small journal stroker

Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Joe Sprintbros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small journal stroker

Any recommendatons on internally balanced stroker kit for small journal 327 block? HP street engine, 461 heads, manifolds,etc.thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Don't Use A Small Journal Block!

Maybe not what you were looking for, but I'd skip the stroker small journal SBC in favor of either an aftermarket block or a good, used large journal block. First of all, unless you have a old small journal stoker crank, you'll need a custom crank ($$$) and cleaning up the lower end of the block for the stroker is more $$$ better spent elsewhere. Finally, the small journal connecting rods were always the weak link for these engines unless you plan to keep the RPM below 5800 RPM. (If you still intend to use the small journal crank, be sure to magnaflux the rods and then shot-peen them before you install them. Use ARP rod bolts for peace of mind.)

Internally balanced stokers aren't necessary if you're keeping the RPM below 5800 RPM. Using an externally balanced unit will save you money that you don't need to spend. I personally like the 383 combination best for street torque, but YMMV.

Good luck with the stroker!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get an aftermarket crank from a GOOD company. I don't have an issue with the small journal if you use aftermarket rods. A good crank and maybe a set of Oliver or a similar set of rods will stay together. I'd splay cap the block. All these ideas are great if you have the cash to pull it off.
I guess my real question is why you want this block to use unless it's the one you have and don't want to get another.
I'd use the small journal 4" bore with a 283 crank and make a 302. If you're running a 4 speed it would sound like the old 1st generation Z28. High idle and no power untill the R's are up, but had a real cool sound. A roller would make it sound even better.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

enter wesmigletz in the search box and search his threads, he did one on his 62. Car is strong but was an expensive build. Bet if he had a choice probably wouldnt have done it again.

Get notified of new replies

To small journal stroker

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: small journal stroker