C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing 3M Clear Bra - please help!!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing 3M Clear Bra - please help!!

I'm having some bodywork done and for that and other reasons I have decided to take the clear bra off of my '06 coupe, and I'm having issues.

To give a little background - I've taken parts of my clear bra off in the past TWICE (once the front bumper and once the hood), both times I was able to get it off successfully with no real issues. Both times, I removed the bra and a small amount of adhesive was left behind. Per the clear bra installers advice, I used 3M adhesive remover to remove the small amount of remaining adhesive, and had no issues doing so.

This time, I removed the clear bra off my hood and front bumper and I have a HUGE amount of adhesive left behind. I've been trying the 3M adhesive remover with very little luck. I called my detailer to come over and help me, and he isn't having any more success than I was. I am afraid I am going to destroy my paint if I continue

I called the 3M clear bra installer to see if he has any advice or if this is covered by the clear bra warranty, and left a voicemail.

In the meantime - any advice here? How can I get this adhesive off without destroying the paint? Please help

Old 09-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

[QUOTE=Lebowski;1575310664]

This time, I removed the clear bra off my hood and front bumper and I have a HUGE amount of adhesive left behind. I've been trying the 3M adhesive remover with very little luck.

In the meantime - any advice here? How can I get this adhesive off without destroying the paint? Please help

As a retired chemist I would tackle this job using a series of solvents that would be progressively more polar. Let me suggest start with a rag and just an oil such as 3 in one. One then moves on to a product called "Goo Gone." This is a petroleum product too. If your adhesive still doesn't move then the last thing I would try is Xylene (paint department of WalMart). The rag here you use has a part in this effort too. It should be perhaps a hand towel and not something like a T-shirt. It needs to have an aggressive surface.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I had a similar situation with part of the remainder on my bumper. Soaking it with the 3M adhesive remover for about a half hour seemed to help, and I also used some WD-40 as well. The material has kind of de-laminated, the way I see it, so you have most of the outer layer off but the adhesive portion has remained. Allowing the remaining material to get hot from the sun may also help. At this point you'll probably be lucky to get it to come off in large pieces, so patience will be the key...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trivette
I had a similar situation with part of the remainder on my bumper. Soaking it with the 3M adhesive remover for about a half hour seemed to help, and I also used some WD-40 as well. The material has kind of de-laminated, the way I see it, so you have most of the outer layer off but the adhesive portion has remained. Allowing the remaining material to get hot from the sun may also help. At this point you'll probably be lucky to get it to come off in large pieces, so patience will be the key...
Ugh

Did you use the 3M Adhesive remover in the aerosol can? I've found it dries up pretty quickly, so how did you soak it for 30 minutes? Keep spraying continuously, or soak a rag in it and leave that on the car or what?

Any risk prolonged exposure to the 3M Adhesive remover will damage the paint?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know the difference between the different 3M adhesive removers?

I called a local paint supply store and the girl who answered the phone suggested 3M adhesive remover for wood grain and stripe removal. Does anyone know if it's safe to use on our clear coats?

Looks like it's this: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-...405591&sr=8-17

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

Otherwise there's a 3M adhesive remover (which I have, and used with limited success) and 3M "general purpose" adhesive remover: http://www.amazon.com/General-Purpos...405327&sr=8-14
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one of the many reasons why I do not install 3M film. Their adhesive is too strong and is a pain to take off.

I use the 3M remover but it comes in a bottle. It is easier to soak the adhesive with. Good luck and sorry for the hassle. I have been there, done that numerous times before.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
Just one of the many reasons why I do not install 3M film. Their adhesive is too strong and is a pain to take off.

I use the 3M remover but it comes in a bottle. It is easier to soak the adhesive with. Good luck and sorry for the hassle. I have been there, done that numerous times before.
If you've been there, so there is hope of getting this off without damage?

I bought a bottle of it today, both the general purpose (in a bottle) and the wood and stripe type (in an aerosol). I also got some acryli-clean (recommended by my paint/body shop guy).

We'll see. I'll give it some more effort tonight when I get home from work.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Yes you can get it off it just takes a lot of effort. I try and use heat on the film before removing it and it helps minimize the adhesive left on the car. But once it is on there you just have to work on it. Allowing the adhesive remover to soak in for a while helps. I have also used Dawn dishwashing soap... just coat it on there and let it sit for a while.

Good luck with it tonight...
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!

Not trying to be a smart guy or anything but doesn't it defeat the purpose of getting a clear bra, if what it leaves behind is adhesive all over the clear coat that destroys the paint?

I was always skeptical about the end result if you ever had to remove it and from the looks of things, I am not sold on it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

LBear, 3M uses a very agresive adhesive. Other films use adhesives that arent as strong. I have pulled VentureShield off of cars and not had a bit of adhesive left. I have also pulled Nano Fusion film off with the same results. This product has been out almost 20 years and people are using it more and more. Comparing all films together is like saying my Corvette broke down on me so I wont by a Honda. You cant put all films in the same category as each are different. Be skeptical all you want... and in the meantime enjoy the rock chips.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
jbain1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Here's the solution! The adhesive remover has to be active for 30 minutes or more. Put it on an cover it with plastic wrap (your wife will have some - this keeps it from drying out. After about 45 minutes, pull the plastic wrap off and it will come off. You can carefully use a soft plastic scraper or teflon spatula.

I did the whole wing of my airplane like this and it came out perfect - no scratches and the paint was beautiful.

Joe
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reply very informational.

[QUOTE=Curtis A. Franz;1575311197]
Originally Posted by Lebowski

This time, I removed the clear bra off my hood and front bumper and I have a HUGE amount of adhesive left behind. I've been trying the 3M adhesive remover with very little luck.

As a retired chemist I would tackle this job using a series of solvents that would be progressively more polar. Let me suggest start with a rag and just an oil such as 3 in one. One then moves on to a product called "Goo Gone." This is a petroleum product too. If your adhesive still doesn't move then the last thing I would try is Xylene (paint department of WalMart). The rag here you use has a part in this effort too. It should be perhaps a hand towel and not something like a T-shirt. It needs to have an aggressive surface.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck please let us know how it goes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LBear
WOW!

Not trying to be a smart guy or anything but doesn't it defeat the purpose of getting a clear bra, if what it leaves behind is adhesive all over the clear coat that destroys the paint?

I was always skeptical about the end result if you ever had to remove it and from the looks of things, I am not sold on it.
Yes, IMO it does defeat the purpose to a large degree.

Clear bras do have their advantages - if you drive a lot of highway miles, it does protect from rock chips. But they also come with drawbacks, and this is one, as is the line that eventually gets filled with wax. Also, when the clear bra does get damaged it isn't exactly cheap to replace.

To be fair, it isn't always this difficult to remove. I've removed part or all of my clear bra on two separate occasions in the past, neither time did it leave this much adhesive behind. I even wrote a brief tutorial on how to remove the clear bra here on Corvetteforum a few years ago (and yesterday when I was searching the forum, I came across my own writeup, lol).

I think the reason I'm having so much trouble this time is the bra had been on for much longer (about 4 years for the hood section, which left behind the most adhesive). In the past, the bra came off in one piece without tearing. This time, the hood section kept breaking, I'm guessing after 4 years of sun exposure the resin must weaken.

I didn't use a heat gun, but I did park the car in the hot FL sun for several hours before removing, which didn't seem to help at all. Strangely, I removed the bra from the two front quarterpanels last night, without the help of heat from the sun or a heat gun - one side came off in one piece and left NO adhesive behind, the other side left a fair amount of adhesive behind.

Bottom line is, I don't think I'll ever put a clear bra on any of my cars ever again after this experience. What a massive PITA - I'd rather just pay my bodyshop to repaint the front bumper if the rock chips get that bad.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help guys - last night I put about an hour and a half into it, using the 3M general purpose adhesive remover (I bought both an aerosol can and a can of liquid). I made a pretty good dent, but I have more work to do. I'll put about another 2 hours or so of work into it tonight, and hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks for the suggestions - the spatula sounds like a good idea. I was afraid to use any hard scrapers but I have a soft silicone spatula that could work well. I'll try the plastic wrap, too.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd like to second the motion on WD-40. I've owned vettes for over 20 years and found it to be useful when many other items fail. Spray it on a small area and massage it into the adhesive with a a soft cloth. Flannel is good, but an old T-shirt will work.

Good Luck,
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron one
I'd like to second the motion on WD-40. I've owned vettes for over 20 years and found it to be useful when many other items fail. Spray it on a small area and massage it into the adhesive with a a soft cloth. Flannel is good, but an old T-shirt will work.

Good Luck,
It's safe on the paint?

Get notified of new replies

To Removing 3M Clear Bra - please help!!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebowski
It's safe on the paint?
Yes. I use it to remove love bugs, road tar, and even bubble gum.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 AM
robertaj
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol razor blade??
Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robertaj
lol razor blade??

Thanks but no thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing 3M Clear Bra - please help!!