C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubbing / scraping noise from rear wheel(s) - best place to support?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Allen_396
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Rubbing / scraping noise from rear wheel(s) - best place to support?

My '69 is making a rubbing / scraping noise intermittantly from the rear wheel(s). I tried jacking it up to spin and check, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to have the wheels hanging down like that.

Where is the best and safest place to support the back end so I can spin the wheels and not have them and the suspension just hanging there?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM
hammadown
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

put the floor jack under the outer leaf spring to trailing arm bolt

Hammadown
Old 09-14-2010, 01:44 AM
1955pirate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe the rear end/posi?

Does the rubbing/scraping noise seem to be more prevalent when making a slow or accelerating turn? Sounds as you describe can sometimes be the posi telling you it would like some new lube.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 AM
elke_10
Instructor

check the inside of the tires specially if you got 255's on as the e-brake line may be rubbing the tire
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Allen_396
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. I only have one floor jack. Where would one put jack stands to get the back end off the ground so I could have it in neutral and spin the tires and not have the suspension just hanging?

It sounds more like actual rubbing, rather than something from the posi rear. But I don't know for sure yet.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader vette

Originally Posted by Allen_396
My '69 is making a rubbing / scraping noise intermittantly from the rear wheel(s). I tried jacking it up to spin and check, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to have the wheels hanging down like that.

Where is the best and safest place to support the back end so I can spin the wheels and not have them and the suspension just hanging there?

Thanks!
When did you last change out the rear end fluid .Two bottles of posi additive & fill with chevy lube $9.99 on the additive and are you sitting down? and the fill two bottles $16.00ea. "ouch" I walked around McDormans holding my rear end all day $84.80 to swap out the rear end fluid.

The clutches are grabbing I know its hard to belive that any fluid you add can make a noise quit but Ill buy your lunch if the clutches are grabbing and the rear end lube doesnt fix it. now wheel bearing thats another thing ( but it makes that noise at a different time)
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM
toolman1981
Racer

Could be the emergency brake pads that are located inside the rotor.

They act just like a drum brake to hold the car.

The springs are notorious for breaking and allowing the shoe to ride on the inside e-brake surface.

That could explain the rubbing sound.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM
1955pirate
Racer

Originally Posted by Lon Wayne
When did you last change out the rear end fluid .Two bottles of posi additive & fill with chevy lube $9.99 on the additive and are you sitting down? and the fill two bottles $16.00ea. "ouch" time)
Yeah, expensive, isn't it? I think I payed $54 bucks for the two bottles of lube and one bottle of friction modifier. Fortunately, I have a good buddy in the business and he let me use one of his lifts and I did the job myself. Had to pump out the old lube from the rear end....at least on my '69.

It did stop the noise I was hearing. The previous owner had no record of the rear end service so I have no idea how long it had gone.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Allen_396
Instructor

I changed out the rear end fluid a couple of years ago, and then promptly leaked it out over time due to a bad pinion seal.

It has a new seal and new fluid.

Where would one put jack stands to get the back end off the ground so I could have it in neutral and spin the tires and not have the suspension just hanging?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

I changed out the rear end fluid a couple of years ago, and then promptly leaked it out over time due to a bad pinion seal.

It has a new seal and new fluid.

Where would one put jack stands to get the back end off the ground so I could have it in neutral and spin the tires and not have the suspension just hanging?
Allen, I use two hydraulic jacks and two sissor jacks and two stand jacks. I un-hook the battery open the doors put a towel in the jambs so they dont close .Then I use boards on the top of my hyd. jack I lift up the sides A little bit at A time.(my 75 has a big metal angle at the back of the frame) its A pain and more than I need to do but Ive seen where jacks have left dents in the frame and I dont have any now and dont want any. Im putting in new yokes seals and fluid should be driving it this weekend.I also have A sissor jack under the diff.and a sissor jack under each side under the shock mount +the stand jacks holding the whole rear end of the car up .I hope any of this makes sence to you .
Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am curious about the answer also. I think Allen is getting at the rear wheels dangling is not the way to rotate rear wheels. They need to be up off the ground, and lifted to somewhat the normal driving height if that makes sense.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Allen_396
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonak
I am curious about the answer also. I think Allen is getting at the rear wheels dangling is not the way to rotate rear wheels. They need to be up off the ground, and lifted to somewhat the normal driving height if that makes sense.
Exactly! I don't want the suspension dangling down due to not knowing what sort of unnatural bind it might put on the U-joints when I try to spin the wheels.

I have one floor jack and a few little jack stands. It didn't seem safe to support it on that big bolt back there on each side. So, I was wondering where to support the back end so the suspension is like it was on the ground, but so I can spin the tire or take it off and find the source of the rubbing.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

see if your bump stop plates on the t-arms are bent down and catching the ujoints... i had that issue
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly! I don't want the suspension dangling down due to not knowing what sort of unnatural bind it might put on the U-joints when I try to spin the wheels.

I have one floor jack and a few little jack stands. It didn't seem safe to support it on that big bolt back there on each side. So, I was wondering where to support the back end so the suspension is like it was on the ground, but so I can spin the tire or take it off and find the source of the rubbing.
The jack stands should be positioned a few inches in front of the kick ups. Then use the floor jack under the leaf spring near the bolt, but put a wood block between the jack & spring so there's no metal to metal contact. Raise the wheel up to almost the normal position.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubbing / scraping noise from rear wheel(s) - best place to support?

Quick Reply: Rubbing / scraping noise from rear wheel(s) - best place to support?