C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 Corvet Horn not working

Old 08-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Robert M. Femino
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Corvet Horn not working

My horn stoped working on my 1989 Corvett Convertable. I have checked the horn at the stearing weel and it is making contact, I have replaced the horn relay and it still does't work. There is no power to either location. I have a wiring digram and it showes a curtic breaker someware. Since I have no power I think this might be the problem but I don't know what it looks like or where it is located. Any help would be great since I can't get a sticker till I get the horn fixed.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you check the fuse? The contacts in the steering wheel complete the ground side of the circuit, so there would not be power there. If you can identify the wire going to the steering wheel from the relay, try grounding it with a jumper and see if the horns work. You can also test the horns themselves by jumping 12 volts to the proper terminal on them. Could be that they went bad one at a time, and you only noticed when the second one failed.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Robert M. Femino
6th Gear

I did check the wires for power at the relay and there was none. I have a wiring diagram and it showes the power constant to the horn with no fuse. But it does have a circut breaker somewere. That's what I thing I need to find.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

I believe that there are 2 fuses for the horn. One is an actual horn fuse and the other is the fuse for the alarm. If either is missing or blown, no power. Fuse panel is on the passenger side dash next to door.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replace mine with a "Bad Boy" from harbor freight. $30. Sounds like a Vette should.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Rodney_Gold
Advanced

I had the same problem , it was the alarm fuse in my 86 , it is behind the info panel , requires you to remove the centre dash panel to get to the fuse - I just replaced the 10 amp fues with a 15 amp one as the 10 amp one kept blowing (I have aftermarket horns installed by a previous owner) and it's good to go - silly place for that fuse as its a bit of a bear to get to it....
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Did the bad boy horn come with wiring to install complete horn system, i.e. not just a horn replacement for the factory two horn units?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
ElvisGraceBo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr. CJ
Did the bad boy horn come with wiring to install complete horn system, i.e. not just a horn replacement for the factory two horn units?
you need to supply wire, it comes with a relay if you want to set up a new switch. I just pulled the old horn and stripped the ends of the wires that go to it, put the old wires on the new horn and put the horn where the old one went. Done.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

There is no circuit breaker in the horn circuit, a fusible link that provides power to a bunch of fuses, and the "Theft Fuse" in auxiliary fuse block, behind center info panel.
If only the horn is not working, you can rule out the fusible link.

Horn electrical >> http://members.shaw.ca/dankai/Horn%20Electrical.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 Corvet Horn not working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Corvet Horn not working