C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service

I have been holding back this post, but for the good of this forum, I'm going to express my disappointment with GM and GM customer service.

I traded in my 09 for a 2010 CRM Grand Sport that I ordered last year. My 09 was perfect, everything worked and the finish was as expected..Zero flaws.

After I place the order, I was very excited to get the Grand sport. I always loved the look of the Z06 but really didn't want one, the GS filled that gap for me.

So I picked up my GS in December of 2009, and the problems were realized.

1.From day 1, there was an oil canning metal popping sound that came from the rear of the car.

2. The rear glass black defrost was de-laminating or separating from the glass.
This should have been flagged at the factory.

3. There were paint chips on the rear edge of the hatch, GM touched them up before the car was shipped.

4. The DIC for total mileage reads 230 miles to empty with a full tank, it should read over 400 miles.

5. On the removable Top - there is a piece of dirt in the CRM paint that was cleared over from the factory. The result is a contaminate in the paint and a large "Fish Eye. This should have been flagged at the factory.

I've been on the phone with GM customer service since December, and they have not been helpful, except for Geoff Allen. But Geoff is not handling my case, I've had two woman customer service reps that just keep apologizing and nothing gets done.

I've had the car into the dealership 10 times, each time I take half a day of vacation, since I don't like leaving my Corvette at the dealership. All of these were related to the oil canning popping noise. The dealership has been talking to the GM Tach team, and both have no clue to the problem. At least that's what they're saying. I believe there is a larger problem GM knows about and has not come forth to fix it.

I asked the dealership to do the following, which came from reading the forum:

Replaced the rear diff fluid twice, then doing figure eights.
Replaced all sway bar end links
Replaced rear axle nuts
Lubed rear sway bar bushings
Re torque the cradle to the frame
Re torque all visible nuts and bolts under the car

After posting and searching the Corvette Forum, I found 2 other Grand Sport owners having the same issue. So this is not an isolated case.
The problems are identical, but the fix from GM includes the dealership to remove the gas tanks and MIG weld in supports behind the seats.

See Document ID:2257485

Document ID:2257485

#PIC4763A: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats -- Keywords body crack creak flex frame link missing noise pic4763 piinsi pop rear seam suspension turn weld -- (Mar 26, 2009)

Subject: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats.

Models: 2005-2010 corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

PIC4763 superseded by PIC4763A to add up to 2010 model years.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of a creak type noise in the rear of the car. This noise seems to be induced as the body of the vehicle flexes. An example of this would be turning into a parking lot where the entrance has an incline.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Prior to performing the procedure below, be certain that the noise is not related to any suspension components or the panel behind the seat. Common areas of noise can be the rear stabilizer links or "oil canning" on the panel behind the seats. Technicians should isolate the rear body panel behind the driver's and or passenger's seat to determine if the noise can be reduced. If the noise is corrected the panel is "oil canning" and transmitting the noise. Oil can noise can be reduced by adding a small crease in the metal to reduce panel movement or adding several dimples to add rigidity to the panel. If the noise is not suspension related or the body panel, it may be necessary to continue with this PI.

Remove the fuel tanks and inspect the frame on both the left and right side of the vehicle. If a void is found, it will be necessary to re-weld this area.

Important: When MIG welding, it will be necessary to use all safety precautions since the area of concern is near the fuel tank(s).

Grind this area clean were welding is needed.
MIG weld area utilizing all safety precautions.
After welding is completed, coat area with rust inhibitor to prevent future corrosion.
Re-evaluate vehicle.

Anyone reading this can find PART of the problem very easily by placing the driver's seat forward and pushing on the carpet directly behind the seat. The metal will oil can and pop. GM is saying it needs to be re-enforced.

Now, I'm one who fears the dealership for getting a inspection sticker, let alone ripping apart my car and MIG welding metal, then re installing everything with creating a new problem.

So far, nothing is fixed.

I feel like I've bought a Lemon and GM doesn't care. I was spoiled with the last two Corvettes, they were both perfect and I never understand reading all the issues people were posting on the forum, until now.

The weird thing about getting this car was, GM never sent me a Car Owner satisfactory survey, which I received from the previous two cars. It's almost like GM knew the car had problems and didn't want a bad survey in their metrics.

I would expect GM to stand behind their flagship vehicle and support the Corvette Customer, but I can tell you, they are not.

I'm still hopeful this will get to the right GM people and someone will take notice and help me out.

Regards, Chris

Last edited by Ktzon; 07-09-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
ateam311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure my sympathy won't do you an ounce of good, so I'll just say that you made a good choice in posting this here. I hope you get some help because it's absolutely senseless to think that you spent a pretty good chunk of change on something that's been nothing but an absolute headache.

Good luck dude.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

My feelings exactly.
Originally Posted by ateam311
I'm sure my sympathy won't do you an ounce of good, so I'll just say that you made a good choice in posting this here. I hope you get some help because it's absolutely senseless to think that you spent a pretty good chunk of change on something that's been nothing but an absolute headache.

Good luck dude.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hopefully you will get all this resolved - and soon!! Good luck to you sir!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm actually kind of shocked by your post. The GS's have been out for nearly a year and this is the very first time I've read anything about the quality of the '10 models.

I'm hoping for the best for you. You may have to do some letter writing and go further up the corporate ladder.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
I'm actually kind of shocked by your post. The GS's have been out for nearly a year and this is the very first time I've read anything about the quality of the '10 models.

I'm hoping for the best for you. You may have to do some letter writing and go further up the corporate ladder.
Time to esclate the issue and good luck with getting your Vette right
Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One question on the popping sound - was it there when you test drove the car or did it appear shortly thereafter? May be a good tip to any GS buyer to check this out carefully.

Originally Posted by Ktzon
....Anyone reading this can find PART of the problem very easily by placing the driver's seat forward and pushing on the carpet directly behind the seat. The metal will oil can and pop. GM is saying it needs to be re-enforced.
I don't know how bad the problem is, but is it possible to put some sort of dampening material on that panel (from the inside) to stop the popping? The stuff I'm thinking of is that thick stuff car manufacturers use in the trunk area of many cars. I've seen it in restoration catalogs but I can't remember what it's called. Just something to keep in mind, may be worth it before having them crease the panel/MIG weld.

Now, I'm one who fears the dealership for getting a inspection sticker, let alone ripping apart my car and MIG welding metal, then re installing everything with creating a new problem.
I'm with you there, Chris. I had the oil pan gasket replaced, thankfully it all worked out.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 AM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain, bin there, done that. You must keep on them, including going straight to GM corporate. You can find their contac numbers on the WWW. I wish I knew what I did with all that information, since I had the same problem with my 01'. It took almost 2 years to resolve, but GM finally caved in. Watch out for putting too many miles on the car for now. They will use that as a major decission factor.

Good luck
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Sorry for all your issues.......I didn't realize you had so much going on. I guess you have been holding back.

I'm not understanding......has most of that been fixed or has nothing been fixed? Everything listed, except the oil can popping, looks like basic warranty stuff that should be taken care of without any problem.

Is the current dealer the problem? Do you have the ability to take it to a better dealer.....I'm thinking MacMulkin but I don't know how far you are from them.

Besides moral support all I can offer is find a better dealer service dept and/or escalate beyond the normal Customer Service. All the best to you for a successful resolution.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you resolve your problems. I know how you must feel. Good luck.

TRR
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been holding back this post, but for the good of this forum, I'm going to express my disappointment with GM and GM customer service.

I traded in my 09 for a 2010 CRM Grand Sport that I ordered last year. My 09 was perfect, everything worked and the finish was as expected..Zero flaws.

After I place the order, I was very excited to get the Grand sport. I always loved the look of the Z06 but really didn't want one, the GS filled that gap for me.

So I picked up my GS in December of 2009, and the problems were realized.

1.From day 1, there was an oil canning metal popping sound that came from the rear of the car.

2. The rear glass black defrost was de-laminating or separating from the glass.

3. There were paint chips on the rear edge of the hatch, GM touched them up before the car was shipped.

4. The DIC for total mileage reads 230 miles to empty with a full tank, it should read over 400 miles.

5. On the removable Top - there is a piece of dirt in the CRM paint that was cleared over from the factory. The result is a contaminate in the paint and a large "Fish Eye. This should have been flagged at the factory.

I've been on the phone with GM customer service since December, and they have not been helpful, except for Geoff Allen. But Geoff is not handling my case, I've had two woman customer service reps that just keep apologizing and nothing gets done.

I've had the car into the dealership 10 times, each time I take half a day of vacation, since I don't like leaving my Corvette at the dealership. All of these were related to the oil canning popping noise. The dealership has been talking to the GM Tach team, and both have no clue to the
problem. At least that's what they're saying. I believe there is a larger problem GM knows about and has not come forth to fix it.

I asked the dealership to do the following, which came from reading the forum:

Replaced the rear diff fluid twice, then doing figure eights.
Replaced all sway bar end links
Replaced rear axle nuts
Lubed rear sway bar bushings
Re torque the cradle to the frame
Re torque all visible nuts and bolts under the car

After posting and searching the Corvette Forum, I found 2 other Grand Sport owners having the same issue. So this is not an isolated case.
The problems are identical, but the fix from GM includes the dealership to remove the gas tanks and MIG weld in supports behind the seats.

See Document ID:2257485

Document ID:2257485

#PIC4763A: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats -- Keywords body crack creak flex frame link missing noise pic4763 piinsi pop rear seam suspension turn weld -- (Mar 26, 2009)

Subject: Pop or Creak Noise From Rear of Vehicle Behind the Seats.

Models: 2005-2010 corvette
2004-2009 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

PIC4763 superseded by PIC4763A to add up to 2010 model years.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment of a creak type noise in the rear of the car. This noise seems to be induced as the body of the vehicle flexes. An example of this would be turning into a parking lot where the entrance has an incline.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Prior to performing the procedure below, be certain that the noise is not related to any suspension components or the panel behind the seat. Common areas of noise can be the rear stabilizer links or "oil canning" on the panel behind the seats. Technicians should isolate the rear body panel behind the driver's and or passenger's seat to determine if the noise can be reduced. If the noise is corrected the panel is "oil canning" and transmitting the noise. Oil can noise can be reduced by adding a small crease in the metal to reduce panel movement or adding several dimples to add rigidity to the panel. If the noise is not suspension related or the body panel, it may be necessary to continue with this PI.

Remove the fuel tanks and inspect the frame on both the left and right side of the vehicle. If a void is found, it will be necessary to re-weld this area.

Important: When MIG welding, it will be necessary to use all safety precautions since the area of concern is near the fuel tank(s).

Grind this area clean were welding is needed.
MIG weld area utilizing all safety precautions.
After welding is completed, coat area with rust inhibitor to prevent future corrosion.
Re-evaluate vehicle.

Anyone reading this can find PART of the problem very easily by placing the driver's seat forward and pushing on the carpet directly behind the seat. The metal will oil can and pop. GM is saying it needs to be re-enforced.

So far, nothing is fixed.

I feel like I've bought a Lemon and GM doesn't care. I was spoiled with the last two Corvettes, they were both perfect and I never understand reading all the issues people were posting on the forum, until now.

The weird thing about getting this car was, GM never sent me a Car Owner satisfactory survey, which I received from the previous two cars. It's almost like GM knew the car had problems and didn't want a bad survey in their metrics.

I would expect GM to stand behind their flagship vehicle and support the Corvette Customer, but I can tell you, they are not.

I'm still hopeful this will get to the right GM people and someone will
take notice and help me out.

Regards, Chris

Sorry to hear of these issues with your new grand sport.

There is a GM representative who frequents this board.

Hopefully, this will catch his eye and you can get each issue with your new car addressed to your satisfaction.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

One has to wonder how reduced volume and staffing at BG impacts build quality?

Good luck in getting your issues resolved.

Tom
Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
One has to wonder how reduced volume and staffing at BG impacts build quality?

Good luck in getting your issues resolved.

Tom

I wouldn't want to buy a car if they were laying off workers or they were in contract negotiations at times of low morale.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Importluva
Racer

Oh man that sucks major! Good luck bro.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Holy Crap. That sucks
Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Good Luck. I hope mine does not have these problems..
Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

wow,makes you wonder if the car was build in BG,,,

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service

Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear this - my CRM GS was also built in Dec and it has been perfect, paint and all. Push for lemon law replacement.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Try contacting Geoff Allen. He's the Chevrolet Customer Service Rep that is a member of this Forum. He may be able to help you out. Good Luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need lemon aid!
Best of luck in getting this all cleared up!

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Sport - Very disappointed with GM and GM customer service