Sponsored by:

Ignition/Lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 AM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ignition/Lock cylinder

Can anyone provide the symptoms of a bad ignition or lock cylinder. I was told that this "might" be my problem. Also is there a way to get a definitive diagnosis for this?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is your problem?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:46 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

[QUOTE=midlifetoy1;1575246410]Can anyone provide the symptoms of a bad ignition or lock cylinder. I was told that this "might" be my problem. Also is there a way to get a definitive diagnosis for this?[/QUOTE]

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-repair-4.html

Then scroll to post #64
Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
KillerC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the problem where my car wont start at times when i turn the key all the way..they have told me it is my ingition lock cylinder thats bad..i ordered the part already...cant wait till shes fixed again!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Originally Posted by KillerC5
i have the problem where my car wont start at times when i turn the key all the way..they have told me it is my ingition lock cylinder thats bad..i ordered the part already...cant wait till shes fixed again!
It's too bad you have already ordered the new part. Your current switch can be rebuilt/repaired easily at at little to no expense if you are a little mechanically inclined:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
It's too bad you have already ordered the new part. Your current switch can be rebuilt/repaired easily at at little to no expense if you are a little mechanically inclined:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
he can still do this

he said he ordered the ignition lock cylinder not the ignition switch.

the lock cylinder cant be repaired.

to the OP: Is your key loose at all in the ignition? I mean, once fully inserted..is there any vertical or horizontal movement of the key itself?

If so, this could be the issue. You probably have a B 2723 or B 2721 code when the car does not start and your security light may flash.

If your key is even slightly loose or your car has 100K + miles and you already bought the lock cylinder..I would just go ahead and change it.

In order to get the lock cylinder out you have to pull the ignition switch anyway..just clean out the contacts while your having the new lock cylinder cut @ the locksmith/dealer.

that's what I did after having the same issue.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Good info......
Old 09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Thanks for your inputs. To fill in the blanks.......
No, the key is not loose in the ignition, but I do have 128K miles of smiles on her. The problems started with a no start a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealership and they could not duplicate the problem, said it "might" be the ignition switch/lock cylinder. Didn't have $800+ to spend on a might, so picked the car up and have been driving with no problems. Yesterday while driving the dash lit up, the guage needles sweep right to left,(like when starting) and my dic displays reset. the car also kinda hic-cupped as if it wanted to quit for a split second. Well it happened a couple of times but only when I hit a bump. Today I hit a couple of bumps and before it could recover it stalled completly. Started right back up though, but this time I was on the expressway doing 65+. The only thing I could do was throw it in neutral and restart it, there was no getting over right or left. I proceeded to another dealership , and there she sits at this moment.

Does this sound like a bad ignition/lock cylinder or do I have some other breed of Gremlin?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Do you know how to check the codes?

on the right side of your gauge cluster...press and hold the number 4 button down. simultaneously press the number 1 button four times. You will enter diagnostic mode.

You can navigate back and forth by pressing 2 , 3 and 4 but it will run through all codes once by itself once you enter diagnostic mode.

Post back any codes if you have any cause it maybe the bad contacts on the ignition switch itself.

There are little "tumbler" type things in that lock cylinder that are separate from the ones that actually allow the key to turn. They are for the VATS system. I think they're brass or something. These can become dislodged if ever so slightly and then it's just a matter of time or at least it was for me.

Got to the point where I'd either have to pull key wait 10 seconds, wouldn't start, wouldn't even crank...key was stuck, key wouldn't turn...key was stuck INSIDE the ignition but still would not turn..
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

These were the codes with the no start...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-no-start.html

This was my initial thread and I think there was another instance of codes, don't recall exactly what they were; I know I posted them here somewhere. As for yesterday and today, no codes at all?!?!?!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Originally Posted by midlifetoy1
Thanks for your inputs. To fill in the blanks.......
No, the key is not loose in the ignition, but I do have 128K miles of smiles on her. The problems started with a no start a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealership and they could not duplicate the problem, said it "might" be the ignition switch/lock cylinder. Didn't have $800+ to spend on a might, so picked the car up and have been driving with no problems. Yesterday while driving the dash lit up, the guage needles sweep right to left,(like when starting) and my dic displays reset. the car also kinda hic-cupped as if it wanted to quit for a split second. Well it happened a couple of times but only when I hit a bump. Today I hit a couple of bumps and before it could recover it stalled completly. Started right back up though, but this time I was on the expressway doing 65+. The only thing I could do was throw it in neutral and restart it, there was no getting over right or left. I proceeded to another dealership , and there she sits at this moment.

Does this sound like a bad ignition/lock cylinder or do I have some other breed of Gremlin?

You might have a bad ignition switch but the problem you describe is more likely a bare wire in the rubber accordian tube that goes between the door and body. The bare wire is the serial data buss that carries all communications between the BCM, PCM and all the sensors. Common problem and easily repaired with some "Liquid Electrical Tape" available at most parts stores. After you check for and repair the wires (check BOTH doors) clear all the DTC's set and drive the car a bit them pull the codes again. Second link is for details of pulling DTC's.

Refer to this link for some additional info on what to check and how to repair:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...n-long-32.html

Then go to post #640.

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php
Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

This was my initial thread and I think there was another instance of codes, don't recall exactly what they were; I know I posted them here somewhere. As for yesterday and today, no codes at all?!?!?!
The NO Comm codes may also be the result of the bare serial data buss shorting out.

Look at the wires in the rubber accordian tubes and compare the wires to the ones in the link above. You should also disconnect the blue connector and inspect the PINS. They may be corroded and need to be cleaned.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

didn't see this one...definitely check out those door jam accordian wiring deals as 8Vettz and others have said.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition/Lock cylinder

Quick Reply: Ignition/Lock cylinder