C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep your Black Convertible top clean?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How do you keep your Black Convertible top clean?

Any secrets on how to keep your Black Convertible top from having the "Fuzzies" on it? The towels seem to shed on the top when you dry it off after washing it. I wish there were something that would repel those damn "Fuzzies". Even when I use my squeegie to remove the water after washing it, it still seems to accumulate them. The black top is like a magnet. Anyone have any secret remedies?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:07 AM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Chamois (sp?) works well for me--E-fish
Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I find a natural chamois is terrible, little ***** of yellow come off it. I use an old synthetic Chamois on it, sucks up water but leaves no orange *****. For the left over fluffs, I use Duct tape, tear off a foot long piece put it on, pull it off, put it on, pull it off, works great! Leaves the top dam near perfect. 4 one foot strips does the whole roof.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the dust on my car I use a California Duster. I use a mini California duster to get any fuzzies off of the convertible top. I purchased a very nice wash mitt to wash my Corvette that does not leave any fuzzies on the top either. I usually dust my Vette off every other day and use Adam's Detail Spray with a microfiber drying towel so I really only wash my car every three of four months.

Kent
Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 AM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I use that masking tape trick as well as a vacuum hose too.
I was hoping that other than going about 150mph on the freeway, there might be something out there that really works.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
CRVert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use one of those lint rollers for clothing, they sell them in any supermarket, and they sell refills for the roller when the roll runs out
Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Flies Lo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRVert
i use one of those lint rollers for clothing, they sell them in any supermarket, and they sell refills for the roller when the roll runs out
My new GS is a coupe, but I did have a Boxster with a black top...the lint roller thing works very well...also, if you clean the top with RaggTopp cleaner, then apply the protectant (you might only have to do the RaggTopp thing twice a year), you will only have to hose the top off when washing the car...when drying, do not wipe the towel across to top...simply take a clean dry towel and blot the water off; this will keep the fuzzies to a minimum...then when the top is dry, use the lint roller...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Yellow C-6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Flies Lo
My new GS is a coupe, but I did have a Boxster with a black top...the lint roller thing works very well...also, if you clean the top with RaggTopp cleaner, then apply the protectant (you might only have to do the RaggTopp thing twice a year), you will only have to hose the top off when washing the car...when drying, do not wipe the towel across to top...simply take a clean dry towel and blot the water off; this will keep the fuzzies to a minimum...then when the top is dry, use the lint roller...
What he said
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheap, easy, and readily available..when dry only.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 PM
jsims002
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shop VAC.

Probably due for treating though, thought about spraying some camp dry on it.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My C6 is the third black topped Vette I've owned. I've found that a good cleaning with RaggTop and then using the RaggTop protectant works best at keeping the water where it beads up and mostly rolls off. I use a synthetic chamois to dry the top. No fuzzies.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
reality1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lint Rollers work good on black carpet as well.

Jim
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
TXCyberSport
Instructor

I use Raggtop protectant. After the wash I just let it air dry. If needed I will use the sticky tape roller.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2005 black convertible top looks as great as the day it was made. No fading, no spots or streaks.

I never use chemicals on it. I rarely ever wash it, or get it wet for any reason.

I keep it clean with a long, soft fabric brush. I brush it almost daily and never put the top down dirty.

I'm not a chemical person. I don't use all these products that other guys are always promoting. I usually just use water and a micro-fiber towel to clean the interior, seats, etc.

I do use a mild car soap to wash the car but never use these harsh chemicals like Dawn, etc. So far my 2005 looks as perfect as the day I brought it home

Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
My 2005 black convertible top looks as great as the day it was made. No fading, no spots or streaks.

I never use chemicals on it. I rarely ever wash it, or get it wet for any reason.

I keep it clean with a long, soft fabric brush. I brush it almost daily and never put the top down dirty.

I'm not a chemical person. I don't use all these products that other guys are always promoting. I usually just use water and a micro-fiber towel to clean the interior, seats, etc.

I do use a mild car soap to wash the car but never use these harsh chemicals like Dawn, etc. So far my 2005 looks as perfect as the day I brought it home

+1. That's the way to do it. Before I bought the GS, my '03 Vert top looked perfect using this method.

I also vacuum mine regularly in the garage with a brush attachment.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Vette Nut
Melting Slicks

I use Raggtop protectant and an Absorber ... No fuzzies for me
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
DJ-LO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keyplyr

Same here, 2005 Blk/Blk/Red Vert. I've only used soap and water and microfiber towels (yellow & blue ones) on my top. No issues other than a couple of "wear" marks that can't be avoided!

Get notified of new replies

To How do you keep your Black Convertible top clean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you keep your Black Convertible top clean?