Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question...Double DIN install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:31 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question...Double DIN install

Anyone with experience...If you install a double DIN radio in a late C4 what are the mounting tricks? Are there any mounting adapters needed and will 2DIN radios go in without modifying the center bezel?

Here's what I have at present:

Kenwood KDC-HD545U

Kenwood XR4S

Front B/A S75's

Rear B/A S95-3's

Wiring

Last edited by NMsharkracer; 08-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Went in with no problems in my 91..
Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

It depends on the year. 90 and later seems to work fine, but us pre-90 guys have to do some creative trimming

What are you going to install?
Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)

Originally Posted by mcm95403
It depends on the year. 90 and later seems to work fine, but us pre-90 guys have to do some creative trimming

What are you going to install?
Don't know yet, just looking at my options and planning ahead. Vette is a '92.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
romankrzy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Crutchfield and it will tell you if you need to take out the rear support or not for the particular radio. Mine went into my 93 pretty easy I just had to use side adapter brackets which came with the kit.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by romankrzy
Go to Crutchfield and it will tell you if you need to take out the rear support or not for the particular radio. Mine went into my 93 pretty easy I just had to use side adapter brackets which came with the kit.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. So you do need to use the Metra type adapters? What else is needed? I have the wiring adapter. Do I need an antenna adapter?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

I used the metra pocket install kit for mine. You just need the brackets you wont need the pocket since your doing the double din install. Yes if your not changing out the speakers and the amps you will need the adapter cables.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:24 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
I used the metra pocket install kit for mine. You just need the brackets you wont need the pocket since your doing the double din install. Yes if your not changing out the speakers and the amps you will need the adapter cables.
I'm changing the speakers and I have all the necessary wiring for that. Do I need some type of antenna adapter?
Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NMsharkracer
I'm changing the speakers and I have all the necessary wiring for that. Do I need some type of antenna adapter?
+1 on the metra adapter. If you use a double din, you just use the side brackets on it and not the pocket. Yeah, if memory serves me correctly I think you'll need an adapter to go from the small antenna plug to bigger. I don't remember what year was where but you need to locate your CDM. It's either under the dash on the passenger side or in the passenger side rear compartment. You'll need an antenna extension wire to go from that point to your new radio. You're also going to get the power antenna connection, power always, and power with key from the cdm. No need to cut wires. A regular 1988 and up gm radio harness works to connect there. Ground I got from a bolt towards the front of the door sill where a bunch of factory stuff was grounded. I ran new wires from the new head unit to the speakers. Illumination I got front the harness that went to the old head unit. I've heard if you don't hook up either a resistor or the new radio there, the lack of resistance on the circuit will trip the sys light on the dash. Good luck and post pics
Old 08-29-2010, 09:51 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If I had it to do again I think I would lok for a head unit that had all the features I wanted in a single din and use the extra space to store a few cds. My 91 had a bose and was double din to start with and broken so the thought came up after some use.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

let me clarify...I put a nice single DIN Kenwood system in my '90, unfortunately two months later I had a fuel line fire and the car has been totaled. Took the system out and put in the old aftermarket radio parts that originally came with it before they came to take it away. I've been debating using the Single DIN head or getting a new Double, with the primary reason being I don't like the way the single fits in the dash bezel. I had used another mount that put the head unit in the middle of the opening. I see the Metra puts it up to the top and that might improve the look. I don't want to have to shave or modify the bezel if I can avoid it. The car I originally put the system in already had an antenna adapter. I have the non-Bose wiring adapter and wired in an antenna kill switch for use when playind CDs.

From a cost and function stand point, I'm leaning toward using my single DIN.

What I have
Kenwood KDC-HD545U

Kenwood XR4S

Front B/A S75's

Rear B/A S95-3's

Wiring

Last edited by NMsharkracer; 08-29-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
olsonranch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double din

had a jvc double din installed in my 91 went in well and had no problems, also it has the orange letters so looks like it belongs, yellow 1991

Get notified of new replies

To Question...Double DIN install

Quick Reply: Question...Double DIN install