[Z06] My bad luck - Valve spring failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My bad luck - Valve spring failure

Well my 2003 Z06, which I've owned since new in Nov. of 2002. Quit running this morning on the way to the airport. The car has 38,322 miles and I noticed a little tick when I pulled up the stop light close to my house. I took off, and it felt kinda rough. So I thought wow, its never done that before. I shifted into 2nd at around 2000 rpm and thought It shouldn't be running that rough. So I push in the clutch and the check engine light came on and then it died. So I coasted into a parking lot. It then stuck me, I was a victim of the dreaded LS6 valve spring breakage.

SO, I walked 3 miles back to my house. Picked up my Mazdaspeed Miata, and went to the airport. After my flight, I had the Z06 flatbedded to LG Motorsports. Where it currently sits, until sometime next week. When Lou's guys can determine just what the hell happened. I am almost certain its the valvesprings, hopefully the block and pistons will be good. I am hoping the low engine speed will mean the damage is not too bad, I will update this thread when I hear back from LG Motorsports.

So, I learned the hardway............ I have posted numerous times about, if the springs haven't failed by now. You are probably OK. I have driven my car for 8 years without a problem, so I thought the valve spring problems on the forum were "isolated incidents".

I stand corrected.......................

It sucks my car is broke, But I feel I have the best guys in Texas working on it.

So my new advice is, for around $500 bucks, buy some springs and sleep well at night.

More info. to come next week.

Robert Lewis
Old 08-27-2010, 06:32 PM
redroket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs

Same thing happened to me but my 02 had 20,000 on it when one let go. At that time I was not smart enough to replace them all and am probably living on borrowed time. I now have 57,000 miles with no problem since the first failure.
Good luck and I am extremely jealous on where you are having it fixed!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:18 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully there was no damage other than the broken spring. Let us know how it turns out.

Broken valve spring. Add me to the list.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-the-list.html
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Confirmed by LG today(8-30-2010). Broken valve spring. They did a leak down test and said the cylinder held pressure. They did not remove the head.

They said I appeared to have got lucky, no piston or engine block damage. (Thank god) They are replacing all 16 springs with new GM springs.

Will report back, once I pick up the car. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build date on my car was Aug. of 2002, if anyone cares.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
nstyzo6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a common problem with 02-03's? I have an 01' and wondering if i should be worried?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There must be over a Hundred post's regarding Z06 valve spring breakage! I did respond to one post that I had a 2002 Z06 which I sold with 11,500 miles on it. The guy that bought it called me the next day in a panic. He had put 50 miles on the car and was on a trip when the engine "blew up" as He put it ! It had a valve spring failure and the valve dropped causing a big engine failure.

Well I now have another Z06 with 16K miles on it and I am a bit worried as it seems agressive driving is not the cause of spring failure or so it seems. The build date on my car is 6-03, should I be concerned?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Well, lets just say better safe than sorry. Springs are relativly cheap and easy to replace. Pistons and engine block are more expensive and require total disassembly.

Update to my story. LG just called, said the springs were replaced and Sean just got back from the test drive and everything is doing fine. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I guess I kinda of lucked out. Just the springs and no other damage.

I think since it broke while I was sitting at a stop light, that the low engine speed saved my ***. If it broke when I was around 6000RPM it would have been a hell of a lot worse.

My advice would be to change your springs, or take your chances with having to replace your whole engine. After spending the past 3 nights wondering just how much it was going to cost, it was quite a relief to here the good news from the guys at LG.

A big thanks to the guys at LG for fixing my Z06.

Robert Lewis
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nstyzo6
Is this a common problem with 02-03's? I have an 01' and wondering if i should be worried?
I'm quite sure that the 01 Z's did not have this problem; It started with the 02 Z's. Sleep well tonight.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Although they will not admit it, there were a number of valve spirng failures in 2002 and 03 at SCCA Nationals. I would almost bet that they all had reprogramed the Red Line/Rev limmiter. So far my 01 (62k) is holding up. But may be it would be cheep insurance to change them out.

Is it a single spring or a double (inner/outer). I'm a little suprised to hear that the valve dropped and did engine damage.

Mark.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default don't know

Originally Posted by Moto One
Although they will not admit it, there were a number of valve spirng failures in 2002 and 03 at SCCA Nationals. I would almost bet that they all had reprogramed the Red Line/Rev limmiter. So far my 01 (62k) is holding up. But may be it would be cheep insurance to change them out.

Is it a single spring or a double (inner/outer). I'm a little suprised to hear that the valve dropped and did engine damage.

Mark.
I do not know all the details. The guy was coming out of a construction slow area on the interstate and He was passing a Semi when the engine made a loud banging noise. The owner had it towed to the nearest chevy garage where they gave Him the bad news. He then called me and wanted to know if I had any "remorse" and would I help pay for the damage.

I told Him "no way", the car was sold "as is". After all, it had all of 11,500 miles on it! Truth be known, I have the feeling that He passed the Semi and then missed the shift over revving the engine. That is however a guess on my part based on the fact that He was having trouble shifting it on the test drive!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
nstyzo6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bumble-z
I'm quite sure that the 01 Z's did not have this problem; It started with the 02 Z's. Sleep well tonight.
I was getting worried for a bit...then after some research seems I lucked out.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Diceman9
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too lost a spring. Got it fixed at the stealership. Since then I worried about another one going. Maybe not as luck the second time..... destroying a piston or worse. So...... I had them all replaced. NOT WITH STOCK SPRINGS. I went with PSI springs. I can now sleep at night.

These stock springs can go anytime.....not really a function of driving or timing. Just poor manufacuring.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

I looked at my springs awhile back because I bought my car with a cam already installed. I have no idea how long they have been in so I have been thinking about changing them. Mine are not solid yellow but they have a yellow stripe and are not a double spring. Any idea what springs I have?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM
toddski
Intermediate

Is this a problem on 04 Z06s?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Drove the car around a little today after work. Doing Great, seems no worse for wear. Haven't gone to redline yet, but went to 5000 RPM, all good so far.

The guys at LG suggested replacing the springs around every two seasons, if you track your car. Which is kinda funny, this is the 1st year I haven't tracked my car. Try to take it easy on your stuff, and it breaks anyway................
Old 09-02-2010, 12:40 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
Drove the car around a little today after work. Doing Great, seems no worse for wear. Haven't gone to redline yet, but went to 5000 RPM, all good so far.

The guys at LG suggested replacing the springs around every two seasons, if you track your car. Which is kinda funny, this is the 1st year I haven't tracked my car. Try to take it easy on your stuff, and it breaks anyway................
I have a question on the track useage...were the springs that failed you the original, factory springs from the assembly line? Or did you replace already? Having checked in the A&R section before, I don't see anyone following the recommendation of 2 years etc even if on track.

I still have not seen any (supposedly there was 1) failures in 2004 cars even after all these years. You have to believe that some of the '04 cars have some miles on them by now. This leads one to guess that as long as the '02-'03 original springs are replaced, you are ok.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
toddski
Intermediate

I swear every time I take it easy on my Z06 something happens. Flat tire or whatever B.S. happens. I believe these Z06s are made to haul *** and track dog. I personally feel my Z06 hates to be in traffic or driven slowly. Glad you got your ride worked out. I was blown away to see your posts from a year ago and then what happened recently. At least you had the minimalistic happen and not that bad of a monetary loss.

Get notified of new replies

To My bad luck - Valve spring failure

Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

These were the original valve springs on the car.

I used to think, heck its 8 years old and it ain't broke by now, its probably in the clear. Even though my car was built in Aug. of 2002. And that seems to be the "problem year" for valve springs.

I learned the hardway. Just do the springs and save yourself some grief on down the road.

None of my friends believe me, when I tell them it blew up/broke down while idling at a stoplight...............

If you own an 02 or 03, just buy some springs before your luck runs out.

Robert Lewis
Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would say that is the luckiest one I have seen yet...so it was a nice surprise to see that is all that it was.

That is one thing about cars on the track and why I say change them. It is much easier to do things like that and do normal maintance on a track car than it is to wait until they break. You don't wait until the engine spins a bearing to change the oil do you? Normal street cars shouldn't need that, and bigger cam'd cars on track are going to need spring replacement more often than that so do match your maintance schedule with how the car is used.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
I looked at my springs awhile back because I bought my car with a cam already installed. I have no idea how long they have been in so I have been thinking about changing them. Mine are not solid yellow but they have a yellow stripe and are not a double spring. Any idea what springs I have?
not to hijack but is there anyone who can answer my question?

Quick Reply: [Z06] My bad luck - Valve spring failure