C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals

Hi,

Anyone know a part number and a location where I can purchase a slower flasher unit for the turn signals? I purchased a set of sequential turn signals, and would like to get a little more separation between the flashes.

While I'm at it, anyone have a "trick" to remove the electrical connectors on the center console? Those things are a PITA, and I'm going to have to remove them to swap out the flasher.

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 AM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

ttt
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there a flasher? I thought it was controlled by one of the computers.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I'm aware, there is no flasher unit for the turn signals on C6's. The flashing rate is determined by the computer. I have no idea on how you would be able to change this rate (except for hyper flash when one of the bulbs is burnt out or they are replaced with LED bulbs with no load resistor).

The only flasher unit that can be accessed by removing the console bezel is the 4 way emergency flasher which has nothing to do with the turn signals.

I have the sequential turn signals module installed. Slowing down the overall flash rate (if that were possible) will not change the time between the two tail lights that are sequenced. That is determined by the sequential module itself.

I replaced the tail light bulbs on my sequential setup with LED bulb replacements and used a load resistor to keep the flash rate the same and prevent hyper flash. Because LED's come on at a much faster rate, the look of the sequential tail lights was greatly enhanced. Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Check with the company where you purchased the units, they may have some ideas.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:33 PM
CLICON6
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem with my new LED tail lights. Mid America says the LEDs may need a flasher, which I purchased but do not know where to install it! I may need to purchase 2, one for eash side...
I just sent Mid America an email asking them the same questions.

Last edited by CLICON6; 08-25-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added note.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Maybe a solution?

I think you just need to add a 6 ohm/25 watt load equalizer to stop the "hyper" flash.

When I installed my front switchback blinkers they originally had the hyper flash, I added to the power wire and in-line 6 ohm load equalizer and they blinked normal.

I recently added the rear sequentials and the hyper flash is back and only one light blinks on each side instead of both. So I ordered 2 more load equalizers and will add them to the rears sequential and hopefully the hyper flash is gone.

I bought them here:http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 AM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Cool, that's for the info CJ1957! Please post back and let me know how it turns out, another friend and I have mouse ready to hit the "send" button for the equalizers...

Old 09-03-2010, 11:11 AM
CLICON6
4th Gear

Default Rapid LED Turn Signal Fix

I finally got a reply from Mid America. They said the flasher they sold me, which was recommended right below the LED tail lights , , will not work on C6s because they do not have turn signal flashers. Just like what was said above!

I asked my son, who works for Charlie at RPM Motors, for his recommendation. He said the exact same thing about adding the resistors. I guess I should have asked him first...but kids don't know what they are talking about...right?.... He said I could get them at PEP Boys and most likely 4 will be needed - one for each tail light.

Looks like the investment of sending him to UTI is starting to pay off!

Well I know what I am doing this weekend!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

It’d be much appreciated if you could post pics of your install…esp. since it’s a long weekend, and I might be able to get it do too!

BTW...looks like $$$ well spent!!

Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
CLICON6
4th Gear

Went to PEP Boys, Radio Shack and checked on line at Frys. I could not find 6 ohm, 25 watt resistors. I guess I will need to purchase on line...oh well...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

My sequentials have been on for over 4 years. I would have liked a slight increase in the interval also but I seriously don't care, as long as they work.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by CLICON6
Went to PEP Boys, Radio Shack and checked on line at Frys. I could not find 6 ohm, 25 watt resistors. I guess I will need to purchase on line...oh well...
Check out V-LED's online.

Their resistors have finned aluminum heat sinks and they sell an aluminum mounting plate that also aids in cooling.

Any resistor installed on the turn signals is going to get very hot when you have your brakes on for any length of time, like being stuck in traffic.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Gromit3860
Intermediate

If the computer operates the turn signal lamps in the C6, what makes the "clink clink" sound when a signal is actiated? It sure sounds like a bi-metal flasher!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Gromit3860
Intermediate

Here is an extract of some information regarding flash rates and driver attention:

"LEDs are being used with increasing frequency in automotive lamps. They offer very long service life, extreme vibration resistance, and can permit considerably shallower packaging compared to most bulb-type assemblies. LEDs also offer a significant safety performance benefit when employed in stop lights, for when power is applied they rise to full intensity approximately 200 milliseconds (0.2 seconds) faster than incandescent bulbs. This fast rise time not only improves the attentional conspicuity of the stop lamp, but also provides following drivers with increased time in which to react to the appearance of the stop lamps."

"A study at Loughborough University in the United Kingdom showed that strobe lighting conveyed a greater sense of urgency to other road users, with the faster the flash the greater urgency, potentially helping to speed the emergency vehicle through traffic. It also concluded that factors such as flash pattern were important, with simultaneously flashing beacons attracting attention far quicker than alternately flashing versions, although this did increase discomfort glare. Unsurprisingly, attention was gained far quicker the higher the intensity of the light was, and the more beacons were present."

So it seems that the faster flash rate taken together with the very fast transition from off to full bright and back off is a good thing!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Wow, never in my life have I thought about how fast or slow my turn signals were. You guys are really into the minutia!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If we install strobe lights in our rear turn signals maybe we can induce seizures in drivers following too close.

I'd like to see the research on that topic.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
If we install strobe lights in our rear turn signals maybe we can induce seizures in drivers following too close.

I'd like to see the research on that topic.

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosensitive_epilepsy

Get notified of new replies

To Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals

Quick Reply: Slower Flasher for Sequential Turn Signals